Proposal: use some of our cap space on Dustin Penner?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
The guy might be a total joke during the regular season... and probably a horrible example to young guys, but is there any arguing that he has shown up and been a playoff beast a couple times now in his career?

what would it cost us for a pick to get this guy? maybe a conditional second at most? I wouldnt offer much more, but if he was that cheap would it be worth making a grab for him? I mean assuming LA would be willing to part with him? They seem to need a shakeup. I figure dealing either him or Gagne would make the most sense to get a shakeup.

Any support for the idea here? Big body with some offensive talents to play on the bottom 2 lines for what hopefully would be a successful playoff run this spring?

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
aunt-jemima-pancakes-old2.jpg

i'd rather see her in a spoked B

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Fat and slow, and I wouldn't call him a playoff beast in either of his Cup runs but rather a solid complimentary player. Not really interested myself.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The guy might be a total joke during the regular season... and probably a horrible example to young guys, but is there any arguing that he has shown up and been a playoff beast a couple times now in his career?

what would it cost us for a pick to get this guy? maybe a conditional second at most? I wouldnt offer much more, but if he was that cheap would it be worth making a grab for him? I mean assuming LA would be willing to part with him? They seem to need a shakeup. I figure dealing either him or Gagne would make the most sense to get a shakeup.

Any support for the idea here? Big body with some offensive talents to play on the bottom 2 lines for what hopefully would be a successful playoff run this spring?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Not a Penner fan, but would take a flyer in this instance BECAUSE of his size and occasional flashes of being a good player.

Thing is - I wouldn't offer anything of substance to get him.

That kinda makes the idea a no-go from the Kings' perspective, unless they were just committing surgery on their roster.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
hes being a healthy scratch half the time now... theyve seen his act... how long will they continue to put up with it?

if they make the playoffs... they might find him useful, but are they a playoff team with quick looking quite ordinary?

this team did it with smoke and mirrors last year... and an impressive group of dmen.... but 2 of their dmen are gone for the season.

if i was LA, id try to firesale one of penner/gagne out the door just in a desperate hope to wake up their underachieving group of forwards...

i dont think theres much of a market for either penner/or gagne since they make too much money for small market teams... have too much cap hit for big market teams...

Id give Penner a chance to play in front of Bourque or even Paille... but even if he ends up a healthy scratch for us, I still like him for playoff depth.

Im not sure what the options are for picks... maybe a 3rd that becomes a second if we resign him for next year? I dont know what the limits are for conditional picks.

Id give up a third outright for him... cause i dont value thirds much. Penner when he gives a damn and actually tries, is a pretty useful contributor on a third line.

bruins04

Mar 3, 2007
zero interest in Penner as a Bruin. The guy is inconsistent to the point where it's maddening. I would rather get someone who plays their heart out night in night out but with a worse skill set than Penner any day.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Heads up Boston area Buffet houses................my way of saying no thanks, Chia can, and will do better than this wanna be Dustin B

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
if he made it through waivers and all the way to us... i'd consider it.

while it is unfortunate that he can't play at his pinnacle every game, or even come close to it, he's worth the risk of a waiver claim where all he's doing is taking up cap space/roster spot. it doesn't hurt to have depth. and i'm still unsure how serious PC is about upgrading the top 9...

he's 30, he's a UFA - to me he's got plenty to play for.

if we're not giving up assets, okay. if they wanted a decent prospect, i'm okay with passing.

mich25

Jan 23, 2013
Wouldn't mind giving Penner a shot on the B's. He does have the ability to be a 40+ pt player and maybe even better (60 pts one year). He was consistent when he was in Anaheim and playing consistently on the same line with the same guys. In Edmonton he was moved from line to line and constantly played with different players almost every single night, and was also the whipping boy in Edmonton (bad relationship with coach). Then he has traded to LA in the middle of the season and **** the bed, but he was also going through a nasty divorce last year. Hasn't been given much of an opportunity this year and seems to be the whipping boy in LA too. I think on a stable team like the B's he could perhaps find some consistency. With the hard work ethic of our players Penner would have to step it up with his work ethic. Penner can be had for cheap and this is a guy when playing with never changing wingers has the ability to pop +20 goals. I think a team like Boston with Veteran leadership could be good for Penner and what he needs. Wouldn't mind going after him, because he could be had for real cheap and is an UFA and has Stanley Cup playoff experience. He's friends with Thorton too...

Last edited:

Ess_37

Aug 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Just say no to the ghost of Brad Isbister's past...

If there is the odd Bruin fan around here that finds Lucic's compete level to be inconsistent at times, Penner would be maddening. Flashes of brilliance on one play, completely invisible for the next three games.

BudMovin*

I think a 45 year old Mark Recchi is probably in better shape than this guy.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
I should get a penalty for piling on, but I just cant see the value unless LA gave us a 2nd with him.
Though I do agree that we need upgrade on 3/4 for sure. Peverley and Kelly need to get crackin - and the chemistry is just not there.

Penner though? Not my cup of pancake batter..

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I'll pass. Don't think he could handle the Boston market if he struggled. He was on a "BS Report" podcast with Bill Simmons last summer and he said that his bad start in LA, following the trade, impacted his performance the next year. I'm no expert, but I'd say that the hockey market in Boston is bigger/more critical than in LA.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Not a Penner fan. Probably the slowest, most lumbering guy I've seen in years, and I'm including Hal Gill. He could hit hard when he connected but it took a while to get to the objective.

Orrthebest

May 25, 2012
If he was able to win the Cup as a second line left winger, I would think he could help us win a Cup as a third line left winger. I will take a 2 time Stanley Cup Champion as a rental.

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
No. Not the kind of player you want to waste energy obtaining (versus someone else) or the example you want on the team.

Quaider*

Just say no to the ghost of Brad Isbister's past...

If there is the odd Bruin fan around here that finds Lucic's compete level to be inconsistent at times, Penner would be maddening. Flashes of brilliance on one play, completely invisible for the next three games.

He's Brad Isbister, Cameron Mann, Landon Wilson, Sandy Moger, Lee Goren and Shayne Stevenson all rolled into one! :laugh:

Just say no to Penner.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3