GDT: USA vs. Sweden | January 5th, Final; 1:30 PM EST, 7:30 PM Local

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
In that case hockey isn't even #1 in Canada, either.
It's a totally different level though as climate has a lot to do with it.

Rinks are more prevalent and you have a culture of playing it. I grew up in the very northern US and we skated on outdoor rinks all winter, so even kids that didn't join organized hockey played pond hockey in the winter. It's what we did to pass time in the winter because it was cheap and easy. We had hand me down skates and hand my down sticks, etc... and played until our feet froze. High schools had hockey teams. I assume that's what a lot of Canadian kids do / did as well.

3/4ths of the US (or more) doesn't have the climate to support that in the winter. Heck, when I moved to Raleigh, there were only 5 indoor hockey rinks in the entire area (excluding PNC Arena) and you have to pay to play. Kids aren't playing "pond hockey" like we did up north. There are no high school teams for the most part.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Depends on the state. In MN I would argue for a lot of kids it's #1
Of course, but the context is we're talking about the population of the entire US, not just a few states. I grew up in the northern part of the country and hockey was much more prevalent. My kids grew up in the south where it's definitely a niche sport.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Nationally, I agree hockey is a fringe sport. But in a few states it is very popular with Minnesota leading the way. I find hockey very exciting from a spectator perspective, but grew up in the South where I never knew a person who played.
I too grew up in the south and have played for 35 years. So not even all southern cities are the same

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Nationally, I agree hockey is a fringe sport. But in a few states it is very popular with Minnesota leading the way. I find hockey very exciting from a spectator perspective, but grew up in the South where I never knew a person who played.
It's cheap in MN. Traveling hockey for youngsters in places like Missouri is VERY expensive. We have enough local talent in MN that I feel like it's much more affordable here.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
If you are not from New England, Minnesota or Michigan you likely are going to need to be rich to play high level hockey. Likely anyway, but for example, there is usually one AAA team in a state. Florida was in Estero for example

Reactions: Northerner

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
If you are not from New England, Minnesota or Michigan you likely are going to need to be rich to play high level hockey. Likely anyway, but for example, there is usually one AAA team in a state. Florida was in Estero for example

If America only sent reps from MN MI and Mass we would still contend in any world hockey competition. Hell, have you seen what NHL s team MN looks like right now?

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I slightly disagree. Canada wins and it's "lel suck it l0ozers!" and people just give up. We don't go into entire discussions of socioeconomics and population. Someone else other than Canada won. Ya'll can deal
I, respectfully, have to disagree. It touches greatly on politics, how "irrelevant" Canada is outside of hockey and how "Canada won in the only sport they're good at" BS.

I admit I have been a little defensive with some of my posts, but I always try to keep it tactful and to the point as I can (my new years resolution haha). But having said that the US was an absolute beast this tournament and deserved this victory big time. You guys should be proud.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Cutter Gauthier was nicer than he realized in the post game interview: ”We love the fact that the fans boo us, Sweden and Canada are our big rivals so keep doing that” we want and need more rivalry’s to keep hockey relevant.

Reactions: Devonator

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
1704499167113.jpeg

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Congrats to the Americans.

What a team! They will be remembered for a longtime.
Especially that group of Forwards. Absolute all star cast up front. As they go onto professional success, you can bet the legend of this team will grow.

There is going to be many future NHL broadcasts quoted as saying…. “He was a member of that great ‘24 WJC gold medal winning team.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad