WC: USA vs Canada Semifinals Showdown

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
IMO, this Canada team is probably the closest team to Finland’s grinding style of hockey we’ve had. The fact that we only allowed one goal against the highest scoring team (Russia) in this tournament should tell you as much

Bumbul

Apr 17, 2020
Top end guys in the KHL, SHL, Liiga, etc. are better than some of the the fringe 4th line/healthy scratches in the NHL.

LOL.... I'd say the top end guys in Europe are WAY better than that.
Take, for example, Kaprizov. Top end in KH last yearL, and now he was 22nd in scoring - playing in Minnesota.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
LOL.... I'd say the top end guys in Europe are WAY better than that.
Take, for example, Kaprizov. Top end in KH last yearL, and now he was 22nd in scoring - playing in Minnesota.
I think you'd run out of examples pretty quick..

Kaprizov came over and was amazing.
Panarin did it and was amazing.

Who else you got coming over and doing that? Maybe Kubalik from NLA?

Reactions: Kuljeskelen

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I do not run down Canadian hockey. In fact, as a senior sport administrator in Canada, one of my tasks is to grow the sport at the grass root levels and help build teams that play at the elite level.

In an earlier post you stated
I once read that there are more high school hockey teams in Texas than Ontario. So draw your own conclusions.

If you really are a senior sports administrator in Canada you'd know why that statement, even though probably true, is ridiculous.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

If you really are a senior sports administrator in Canada you'd know why that statement, even though probably true, is ridiculous.

No kidding, we don’t really have “high school hockey” in Canada lol

Hockey isn’t administered at the high school level like at all in Ontario to my knowledge. It’s all club level. Players in their upper years of high school are playing midget, junior A or B, or major junior (i.e. OHL).

There is the more recent trend in Western Canada with the rise of expensive private Hockey Academies connected with certain schools with hockey teams the last 15 or so years though.

Reactions: Rob

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Please don't open that can of craziness and negativity.

Let's just enjoy the victory and the anticipation of tomorrow's game.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I disagree.
USA Hockey should never be excited for a chance at bronze.
But that's the problem. Americans have unrealistic goals and expectations. The last time the US even made the top 2 was in 1960 and that was actually the Olympics despite being simultaneously classified as a World Championship. The last real top 2 appearance was back in in 1950 while the last (and only) real World Championship gold was achieved in 1933.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
But that's the problem. Americans have unrealistic goals and expectations. The last time the US even made the top 2 was in 1960 and that was actually the Olympics despite being simultaneously classified as a World Championship. The last real top 2 appearance was back in in 1950 while the last (and only) real World Championship gold was achieved in 1933.
If I were to list the weirdest things in Internatinal hockey I think the States not winning Gold anywhere at the senior level since 1996 is it. They've produced one great player after another in all positions. It's a beautiful program but they keep losing at the senior level. I have no idea why. They have enough depth to send a few teams as well. Elite D, Elite Forwards, Generational players, Elite goalies, Elite wingers. They have it all! No idea how to explain that one.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
If I were to list the weirdest things in Internatinal hockey I think the States not winning Gold anywhere at the senior level since 1996 is it. They've produced one great player after another in all positions. It's a beautiful program but they keep losing at the senior level. I have no idea why. They have enough depth to send a few teams as well. Elite D, Elite Forwards, Generational players, Elite goalies, Elite wingers. They have it all! No idea how to explain that one.
They are hands down the most underperforming national team in men's hockey. They have almost eight times as many registered players as Sweden and not much success to show.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I did not see the 3rd Canadian goal that was called back.

Was it close or was it obvious?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
They are hands down the most underperforming national team in men's hockey. They have almost eight times as many registered players as Sweden and not much success to show.
It's crazy because I honestly don't think their system is flawed in anyway at all.

If I was the GM of these teams I'd have no idea what to complain about.lol

Reactions: Urbanskog

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012

So what?
You play to win gold, not to finish 3rd.
The fact that they haven’t achieved gold doesn’t change that. If anything it should make them want it more.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
So what?
The fact that they haven’t achieved gold doesn’t change that. If anything it should make them want it more.
None of it matters. The W.C. is the LEAST exciting tournament. In a few weeks, no one will remember who won.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Thank you Sportsnet... so here is Canada's stats for the last 6 games:

Record 5-0-1
Goals 23
Goals against 10 (making them plus 13 in the last 6 games)
Power play 26.3
PK 100 (!!!!!)

Here are the first 3
Record 0-3
Goals 2
Goals against 10 (making minus 8)
PP 0
PK 81.8

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Thank you Sportsnet... so here is Canada's stats for the last 6 games:

Record 5-0-1
Goals 23
Goals against 10 (making them plus 13 in the last 6 games)
Power play 26.3
PK 100 (!!!!!)

Here are the first 3
Record 0-3
Goals 2
Goals against 10 (making minus 8)
PP 0
PK 81.8

yeah, all Hockey Canada really needs to do is take prep for this tournament a little more seriously. We know that they value the tournament enough...just not the time and prep leading up to the tournament. They never have. They don't gather for practice in Canada. Players all arrive on their own a week or so before the start of the tournament in some European city to run a couple of practices and play 1 pre-tournament game.

I'd like to see Hockey Canada and USAH hold a joint training camp in Quebec City/Lake Placid next year. 10 days, not too onerous on the players, play a couple of games, one in each venue. and then depart for Europe to play the obligatory 1 pre-tournament game. That should help remedy the 0-3 tournament starts. plus Canadian and American fans get the opportunity to take in a WHC roster game live. win-win.

Reactions: jj cale

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
So what?
It's understandable to aim high but forgetting the realities is not good either. The US is not a team that realistically competes for gold.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com

Can’t get past Russia and Canada. To me its a bit like the Sox finally beating the Yankees in 2004. I see Russia and Canada, at the Mens international level, as a Mountain that the States need to get over. Its going to happen at some point.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Can’t get past Russia and Canada. To me its a bit like the Sox finally beating the Yankees in 2004. I see Russia and Canada, at the Mens international level, as a Mountain that the States need to get over. Its going to happen at some point.

I think the US has hit another zenith in terms of talent at all positions reminiscent of the 1996 World Cup team.

At that point it's just a matter of time.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Thought this CAN-USA semi finals was today. Just found out Canada won and are in the finals today, nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad