World Cup: USA to bid to host 2026 World Cup but to share it with Canada and Mexico?

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
What would Concacaf Qualification look like?? US,Mexico, and Canada all get guaranteed spots?

Then rest of Caribbean, and central america fight over remaining 1.5 spots?

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
What would Concacaf Qualification look like?? US,Mexico, and Canada all get guaranteed spots?

Then rest of Caribbean, and central america fight over remaining 1.5 spots?

This is going to be an expanded world cup with more spots for every confederation.

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
BMO was unavailable for the 2015 Women's World Cup as it hosted Rugby 7s during the Pan Am Games.

Can't see any games in Toronto. Vancouver, Edmonton and Montreal can easily handle the games as there's only 10.

BC place can hold 54,500
Rogers centre(world cup game has to be there) similar to how nycfc plays in yankee stadium. holds 53k
montreal olmpic stadium holds 66k.

We have the stadiums for a couple games. not to mention ottawa and edmonton. I wonder though who would pay fifa to bring the WC to Canada. :shakehead

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
This is going to be an expanded world cup with more spots for every confederation.

Right, isn't CONCACAF getting 6 spots?

With the expanded format, there is going to be a lot more less marquee games where it will be difficult to draw huge crowds for. I imagine these games being played in Canada.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
As a Canadian I don't like this. Not that I am opposed to co-hosting, just that I think it should be more equally divided. 60-10-10 is ridiculous. 30-25-25 or even 40-20-20 would be better.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
I just find it incredible the World Cup is now going to be 80 games, a massive overkill even for an international football fanatic like me :laugh:

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
I Honestly hate this. Including the US in the Bid is stupid, as they will take all the important games, and undoubtedly get whatever groups have the big INT teams in it.

Plus everyone in the world views the US unfavourably, so it dooms the bid.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
I Honestly hate this. Including the US in the Bid is stupid, as they will take all the important games, and undoubtedly get whatever groups have the big INT teams in it.

True, really killed the Qatari and Russian bids.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Canada is too spread out and has one-fifth the population of Russia to boot. Sorry, but Canada would never get the WC without the US. There is no reason whatsoever to spread the teams out more, though. So the US should bid by ourselves.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

I actually think this is the main reason for the US bringing Canada and Mexico in. The US could easily bid themselves but I watched the press conference yesterday and the head US soccer guy talked a lot about image and bringing everyone together. Specifically mentioned Trump and how Trump was in favor of bringing Mexico in. It was very political at times.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Political is exactly why. Even though Trump would be 2/6 years out when this happens, he will affect the decision when this is made in 2020. It's a lot easier to accept when it's joint. Especially given there will likely be no other realistic bids (if any at all). Uruguay/Argentina will hold off until 2030, and even if there were any other realistic bids, why would FIFA award it to the region when it would prevent them from giving it to Argentina/Uruguay in 2030? Australia can't host because they play in Asia, and New Zealand will only submit a joint bid with Australia. South Africa is the only country in Africa who can realistically bid, and they won't bid because they just had it and the ANC really doesn't have the money to host it anyway.

This bid is all but guaranteed to win. It's a surefire way for FIFA not to be embarrassed. Qatar is already embarrassing enough.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Honestly the Trump card is overplayed, it's not like America was flying high in FIFA before Trump. FIFA's corruption has much more to do with it, and I think America is playing it the right way to finally secure a bid. The amount of games given to Canada and Mexico is marginal at best and FIFA has the opportunity to promote this as communities coming together and all that garbage.

It doesn't matter who our president is, we're always playing at a disadvantage, despite being one of the few countries that already has the existing infrastructure for it and have the biggest crowds.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Canada is too spread out and has one-fifth the population of Russia to boot. Sorry, but Canada would never get the WC without the US. There is no reason whatsoever to spread the teams out more, though. So the US should bid by ourselves.

You're right about Canada.

However I think it's pretty smart for the U.S. to spread the cost of hosting the games with the other countries.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
Could literally host the whole thing in California or Bos-Wash alone and the travel costs decrease a 1000%.

New Jersey/Delaware have hotels aplenty to accommodate fans and players for the entire eastern seaboard.

Pointless to host it with other countries.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Could literally host the whole thing in California or Bos-Wash alone and the travel costs decrease a 1000%.

New Jersey/Delaware have hotels aplenty to accommodate fans and players for the entire eastern seaboard.

Pointless to host it with other countries.

Why would the US want to pay for the costs of hosting a match between Iran and New Zealand, for example, when they can push that game to Mexico or Canada?

mmk786

Mar 3, 2004
Why would the US want to pay for the costs of hosting a match between Iran and New Zealand, for example, when they can push that game to Mexico or Canada?

Because Iran NewZealand will be sold out in the US.

mmk786

Mar 3, 2004
And it wouldn't be in Canada or Mexico?
You mentioned US shouldnt bear the cost of this match, I am guessing you said that because you considered it a losing proposition from a financial viewpoint.

However, if you agree it will be sold out then I am wondering what your logic behind pushing this particular match to Canada or Mexico is.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
You mentioned US shouldnt bear the cost of this match, I am guessing you said that because you considered it a losing proposition from a financial viewpoint.

However, if you agree it will be sold out then I am wondering what your logic behind pushing this particular match to Canada or Mexico is.

They can make bigger profits on the higher profile matches. There is a risk of over-saturation of games, so I think that should be a risk for any country. The more games available to fans, the less appealing the bottom-tier games are, and the more it will drive down those prices. Either there isn't enough profit or it doesn't sell-out.

Last edited:

mmk786

Mar 3, 2004
They can make bigger profits on the higher profile matches. There is a risk of over-saturation of games, so I think that should be a risk for any country. The more games available to fans, the less appealing the bottom-tier games are, and the more it will drive down those prices.
US is unique in that there are enough immigrants from pretty much every country. There is a huge Iranian population for example, especially on the west coast. Therefore the risk of oversaturation is minimal as there will be enough unique ticket buyers for different countries.

Anyway with the expanded world cup, there will be plenty of 'lower profile' (subjective) matches that will have to played in the US no matter what.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
US is unique in that there are enough immigrants from pretty much every country. There is a huge Iranian population for example, especially on the west coast. Therefore the risk of oversaturation is minimal as there will be enough unique ticket buyers for different countries.

Anyway with the expanded world cup, there will be plenty of 'lower profile' (subjective) matches that will have to played in the US no matter what.

Of course, but why not have some of those in another country if you can. I'm just saying, it does make some business sense, to not want all 80 games. There is a risk that not all 80 games will contribute positively to the bottom line or contribute a preferred margin, so it does make sense to try and minimize that risk by having a higher portion of the higher profile games.

The US is unique and that's why a World Cup there would be an instant success, same for the Olympics. It's unique in 2 ways, the customer base will allow for huge attendance numbers and the infrastructure already exists. Now they will probably build a new marquee stadium or 2, but they don't have to, unlike other countries. And those other countries then get hit with venues that just take up space and go unused and most of the time, the economy takes a hit. Unfortunately, the World Cup and Olympics don't pick the countries based on what makes the most sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad