GDT: USA - Latvia bronze game

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Strongest team or weakest group? Hungary, France, Austria are the bottom of the tournament in either side.
The bottom three in the other group were also not very good. Better than the bottom 3 in America’s group, but the US also beat Sweden, Finland, the Czechs and - in the group - Germany, which are now in the final… The Americans had a great tournament until the semis..

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Heard Riga streets are full of people

Congrats Latvia! Well deserved. I love the Latvian fans.

Finns have become a major hockey power but there was a time when you guys were the lovable underdogs. That time has long passed.

Latvia is unlikely to ever become a major hockey power like Finland, but as a Finn I’m sure you might able to see a bit of yourselves in them.

Great fans and hopefully they enjoy this

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Not even Latvians expected this in their wildest dreams.

Congrats. What a day for hockey!

Great day for hockey indeed.

As North Americans we view nationalism a bit different than I think Europeans do, and these events are immensely important to Europeans on the hockey calendar.

This is nothing short of being great for the game.

Congrats again Latvia, this is your day in the hockey world.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Jimmy71

Apr 2, 2022
Great day for hockey indeed.

As North Americans we view nationalism a bit different than I think Europeans do, and these events are immensely important to Europeans on the hockey calendar.

This is nothing short of being great for the game.

Congrats again Latvia, this is your day in the hockey world.
They may make this day a Latvian National Holiday

Reactions: jj cale and snipes

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The bottom three in the other group were also not very good. Better than the bottom 3 in America’s group, but the US also beat Sweden, Finland, the Czechs and - in the group - Germany, which are now in the final… The Americans had a great tournament until the semis..
Sweden was not that good either, same goes for Finland. Both lost easily in the quarters to group B teams.

Group A was really disappointing this tournament. They had 3 heavy favorites to win gold and none did anything worth anything. Biggest news was USA back to back OT losses to weaker teams.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I don't think you can underestimate what things like this can do for hockey in a country like Latvia. Obviously they were a decent hockey country already for their size, but I hope this can boost the popularity of it there even further.

Also, I'm happy to see the amount of criticism the Finnish hockey federation got for pricing out the actual fans from attending the games. The two games with by far the best atmosphere played in Finland were Latvia against USA and Canada.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
latvia-flag.gif

Congratulations Latvia!!! Massive achievement, as we say in Finland "never forget"! This is huge win for hockey too

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Sweden was not that good either, same goes for Finland. Both lost easily in the quarters to group B teams.

Group A was really disappointing this tournament. They had 3 heavy favorites to win gold and none did anything worth anything. Biggest news was USA back to back OT losses to weaker teams.
So who do you think was better than the US at this tournament then? Switzerland choked and fell apart to Group A team Germany. Canada lost to Norway and Switzerland abs got taken to OT by Slovakia.. My argument was that the US was the best team until the semifinals, not in the semis or after. Since you seem so keen to downplay the US team’s achievements until the semis, you must have another team in mind that was better until the semis. Which team was that?

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
CONGRATULATIONS LATVIA!!!!!

I'm soooooooo HAPPYYYYY for you!!!!

Greatest international fans deserve this moment to last a lifetime.

Hopefully this grows the game even more and more Latvian legends on their way.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
This result was very good for international hockey. It gives more hope for other mid level countries as well that anything is possible. I see similarities in this what Latvia did now with Finland's road to gold in the 2019 WHC tournament. Clear underdog status vs some much better rosters.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Congratulations Latvia! To see the joy on the players' faces is awesome because if the US (or Canada) won the bronze, they would pout. Good to see a team that is thrilled to get that bronze medal!

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Im so happy for and impressed by this Latvian team and it's fans. Absolutely brilliant, you guys made this tournament even though you beat us:) Good job and enjoy the party!

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
The Latvians have always been the best hockey fans on the planet. I'm so happy for them that I intend to spend the rest of the day sporting my game worn Kaspars Daugavins Ottawa Senators jersey.

Reactions: NyQuil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad