USA Hockey, NCAA "protecting" players or hurting development (hockey, maturity)?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.juniorhockey.com/news/news_detail.php?news_id=79802

Has USA Hockey inspired the National Collegiate Athletic Association into keeping players from the Canadian Hockey League ineligible for NCAA competition?
NCAA rules in regards to hockey oppose those that protect minors. While the law generally protects minors from himself, his immaturity, and against other people, the NCAA holds minors accountable for decisions they make as early teens. The amateur standards for hockey are the opposite with the standards of law.

So, does the "history" of removal of NCAA eligibility by CHL players, hurt their development as players (especially those who might "need" more time to mature), or remove the option of a higher education (in favor of potential for pro career) for someone trying to prepare for life after hockey at an age they can really pursue a degree (and play hockey)?

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
http://www.juniorhockey.com/news/news_detail.php?news_id=79802

So, does the "history" of removal of NCAA eligibility by CHL players, hurt their development as players (especially those who might "need" more time to mature), or remove the option of a higher education (in favor of potential for pro career) for someone trying to prepare for life after hockey at an age they can really pursue a degree (and play hockey)?

Do you really want to get me started?

The NCAA is practically designed to slow the development of players... and enrich the institutions that expect a monopoly on this "development." The CHL puts a lie to them.

There is that one problem here... the built-in fan base the college provides. That's something minor pro can't access. The WHL succeeds in Washington and Oregon because they've had lots of time and no real competition with which to fight.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I thought players from the CHL (QMJHL, OHL, WHL) couldn't play in the NCAA anyway... This was why we see players go the route of minor hockey (AAA, etc) to retain their eligibility.

Are they changing the rules?

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
no, I think it's just a poorly written summation of the situation.

Leave no doubt... the author of the piece has a vision and absolutely no writing skills to back it up. It's a dream sequence, and he writes an awful lot of those.

As a soccer fan, these arguments are ALWAYS at the tips of our tongues. The NCAA simply holds back athletes. The CHL has some regulations allowing players to try to make NHL rosters before potentially being "sent down." Thing is, I'm paying attention to the KHL to see if their kids show greater improvement over the course of time. There's value in being able to get a good kid practice time with the big team in the middle of a given season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad