"[USA/Canada] has NHL'ers, we don't have none" WHC excuse?

Ilyeu

Jan 10, 2010
I never understood this comment. It's usually sways from one European comment to the next in a particular GDT thread, on whatever day. What exactly do you expect North American international teams to field, an entire College team or a team filled with AHL'ers?
Should we come up with, well, you're team is filled with KHLer's or SHL. What do you expect, Canada and USA will have teams will with NHL'ers, It's our professional league. It's just a stupid statement to make when you say, "well your team has NHL'ers on it"

Well, really, we didn't know. :laugh:

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Now that you mention it it's pretty funny considering you have to be such a good player to play in the much superior nhl:laugh:

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Never heard of such a comment. Then again, I don't really look through all the GDTs.

The only thing that goes in that direction is as an answer against fans from big nations complaining about not having their very best players available. And in that case it is definately valid. Smaller nations are hurt much more by not having their very best than the big nations are. Unlike the big nations, they don't have the depth and thus can't afford to lose their best players.

Complaining about a nation using NHL-players would obviously be rather stupid.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I never understood this comment. It's usually sways from one European comment to the next in a particular GDT thread, on whatever day. What exactly do you expect North American international teams to field, an entire College team or a team filled with AHL'ers?
Yup, there are only 2 leagues on this planet.

It's our professional league.
Yup, the only professional league in North America. :sarcasm:

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
I expect nothing, some people like to make up excuses of why they lost. Not only Europeans, today I saw a comment or two where Americans themselves pointed out that they lost to Latvia because their NHL players lack the qualities that NHL players of their Olympic team had, to elaborate- ability to play good defense, be older and a goalie who's not Thomas.

But we, Latvians, too suffer from the same. I also read here that we lack a half of our Olympics roster here, so that means (I guess) that the win is still fair and deserved and to be celebrated... However, I did a quick headcount and there are only 6 players of real significance that we miss here from Olympic roster. Of course it would be nice to have an extra (possibly the best) line and 3 top defensemen, but it's not really a half team.

Last edited:

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
I've seem some people complain that North Americans don't give Euro leagues enough repect, then turn around and say a team full of NHLers (no matter the quality) should always beat a team full of European league players.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Now that you mention it it's pretty funny considering you have to be such a good player to play in the much superior nhl:laugh:

I think that everybody should take into consideration that the teams are different. A lot different. Latvia has the same players again and again on the team. A lot of them play for the same KHL team. A lot of them play together internationally for 5-10 years. You think that it's not an advantage? The American teams just came together 2 weeks ago. Not to mention the difference between NHL style of play, and european style of play + the size of ice. I think that Latvia would got destroyed by Edmonton Oilers on NHL ice.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
never heard this complaint.

I complain that Canada and USA send horrible squads, even though made up of NHLers, they are nowhere near the main roles in their clubs

svartgul

Hata Löven
May 9, 2007
Beyond the Infinite
www.northpower.nu
I think half of the players in SHL could play in NHL in some kind of role....

You can't be serious. Politics and budgetary issues aside no more than 15 players in SHL are good enough for the NHL. Keep in mind that North American hockey is much more role oriented and just because you have slick stickhandling in the SHL doesn't mean you'll even get a chance in the NHL.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
never heard this complaint.

I complain that Canada and USA send horrible squads, even though made up of NHLers, they are nowhere near the main roles in their clubs

Prime example, Burrows on the first line..now that is a knee slapper. lol

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

The players on Team Canada and USA are there out of pressure not because they are dying to win a World Championship. Hockey Canada or US Hockey phones up and the conversation goes like this...

Player : "I don't know. I'm beat up. I'm sore. I need the rest. Isn't there anyone else you can send?"

Country : "Come on. Don't let us down. We are counting on you. Besides, it is a 2 week paid vacation. Bring your family. Enjoy Europe. Play the games, come home and rest for the summer. If you ever want to be considered for the Olympic team, you need to play at the World Championship."

Player : "I don't know... Yeah, all right... I'll ask my wife. If she says yes, I'm in but I'm not going to kill myself. I'm not going to ruin my career over this."

Country : "Play the 10 games, say the right things during the interviews and come home. That's all we can ask. I'm pencilling you in. I need your confirmation by end of day tomorrow. Don't let us down."

The player gets off the phone and thinks, "Damn, I wish I had never picked up that phone."

Last edited by a moderator:

Lollipop

Jul 23, 2013
The players on Team Canada and USA are there out of pressure not because they are dying to win a World Championship. Hockey Canada or US Hockey phones up and the conversation goes like this...

Player : "I don't know. I'm beat up. I'm sore. I need the rest. Isn't there anyone else you can send?"

Country : "Come on. Don't let us down. We are counting on you. Besides, it is a 2 week paid vacation. Bring your family. Enjoy Europe. Play the games, come home and rest for the summer. If you ever want to be considered for the Olympic team, you need to play at the World Championship."

Player : "I don't know... Yeah, all right... I'll ask my wife. If she says yes, I'm in but I'm not going to kill myself. I'm not going to ruin my career over this."

Country : "Play the 10 games, say the right things during the interviews and come home. That's all we can ask. I'm pencilling you in. I need your confirmation by end of day tomorrow. Don't let us down."

The player gets off the phone and thinks, "Damn, I wish I had never picked up that phone."

...and here it comes. Thank for the good laugh!!!! :laugh:

Anyway, this comment about NHL, isn't that bad than North Americans endless excuses about missing players.

It's ridiculous. Especially from Canadians who like to say how they have a such incredible depth among players. How was it now? Canada can have 5 different teams in olympics that can be good competition? Now suddenly Canadians say ohh poor us we don't have our best team but we don"t care about WCH anyway.

To OP why make a thread like this when you North Americans are worst of all fans when we talking about excuses?:shakehead:help:

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
You can't be serious. Politics and budgetary issues aside no more than 15 players in SHL are good enough for the NHL. Keep in mind that North American hockey is much more role oriented and just because you have slick stickhandling in the SHL doesn't mean you'll even get a chance in the NHL.

Considering Adams can somehow play in NHL and most of the guys in allsvenskan is better then him. If they just have a coach who like them quite a lot of players in Sweden that could make it in NHL.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Considering Adams can somehow play in NHL and most of the guys in allsvenskan is better then him. If they just have a coach who like them quite a lot of players in Sweden that could make it in NHL.

Bylsma wouldn't play significantly better North American players over Adams, so that's a tough line to walk there. Dan Bylsma and Craig Adams are the same exact player...difference is Bylsma was 4 years removed from his playing career and coaching by the time he was Adams' current age.

Given your name I think I'm preaching to the choir here, but there's a solid 200 players in the AHL better than Craig Adams...and certainly a lot of players in the SHL also better, but that's a coach's incompetence rather than picking the best 20 players for his team.

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
Bylsma wouldn't play significantly better North American players over Adams, so that's a tough line to walk there. Dan Bylsma and Craig Adams are the same exact player...difference is Bylsma was 4 years removed from his playing career and coaching by the time he was Adams' current age.

Given your name I think I'm preaching to the choir here, but there's a solid 200 players in the AHL better than Craig Adams...and certainly a lot of players in the SHL also better, but that's a coach's incompetence rather than picking the best 20 players for his team.

That I know ,ffs their is guys in echl that is better then adams and I said with the right coach.

PurpleMouse

Apr 27, 2014
I'm not even really sure the term "excuse" really applies to the WHC. When it comes to big countries that are established as hockey powers it's useless to evaluate which is truly the better country. I could go to a rec hockey league in Finland and pluck 20 players out, and then do the same in Canada, and have them play against each other- does that prove the winning team is the better hockey nation? Every country is hurt by absences, some will be hurt more than others in a given year, but there are always going to be absolute top players missing from every country.

Don't get me wrong, I think there's a point to the tournament, and I think it's a GREAT tool at evaluating the progress of lesser countries (to use the NHL as a reference point, it's a sign of progress for a lesser country to beat a team full of NHL players, even if it's not the best group of NHLers that that country can send... certainly if France has mostly players from their own league and beats a team of all KHLers, that also makes a statement.) I suppose in that respect, the "excuses" are legitimate in terms of measuring how those lesser countries who only have a handful or less of NHLers stack up against each other.

But for the bigger countries it seems to be more useful as a consolation prize/personal evaluation to see how a guy fits into a country's system or performs at the international level in general.

...and here it comes. Thank for the good laugh!!!! :laugh:

I don't know if actually plays out like that, but I think you're being naive if you think something like this doesn't happen with some North Americans (hell, probably Europeans too) at this tournament.

I think the big thing with the WHC is that for some players the focus may not be entirely on hockey. Yes, when the players are on the ice, I'm sure they are giving 100%, but they're probably more likely to do things like blow their diet, drink late, the night before a game... no doubt that happens in the NHL/KHL the odd time too, but I this type of focus is much more frequent at the WHC.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I think that everybody should take into consideration that the teams are different. A lot different. Latvia has the same players again and again on the team. A lot of them play for the same KHL team. A lot of them play together internationally for 5-10 years. You think that it's not an advantage? The American teams just came together 2 weeks ago. Not to mention the difference between NHL style of play, and european style of play + the size of ice. I think that Latvia would got destroyed by Edmonton Oilers on NHL ice.

That's what we're talking about. The attitude of the fans from both sides of the pond. It's basically exuses(teamb being inexperienced on big ice, thrown together 2 weeks ago and so on) and vast exaggeration of the home league quality(EDM beating Latvia easily?:laugh: I do believe Nolan knows a thing or two about playing on the NHL sized rink as do alot of latvian players. I also think Nolan is a by far better coach than Mr.Don't-You-Spoil-My-Hair) based on little knowledge about abroad leagues. It goes both ways with ppl here claiming half the SHLers could be servicable NHLers.

There are seemingly few ppl who take the tournament for what it is. The rosters aren't the best, while nothing but injuries and the NHL playoffs prevent teams from having the best roster possible especially in the olympic year it won't happen. And it's true for all teams. I'd expect Olympic Team Latvia to beat this US roster by 3 goals, but it is what it is. Nobody has a perfect roster and with this rosters Latvia won. And they deserve respect for that, like any other team winning.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I don't know if actually plays out like that, but I think you're being naive if you think something like this doesn't happen with some North Americans (hell, probably Europeans too) at this tournament.

I think the big thing with the WHC is that for some players the focus may not be entirely on hockey. Yes, when the players are on the ice, I'm sure they are giving 100%, but they're probably more likely to do things like blow their diet, drink late, the night before a game... no doubt that happens in the NHL/KHL the odd time too, but I this type of focus is much more frequent at the WHC.

The problem with that kind of argument is that there are plenty of players who play knowing full well that they have zero chance of making the Olympics, and some who know that they will make it.

Let's take a look at Stamkos for example. In 2009 you could easily argue that he only went because 2010 was an Olympic year and he although talented his rookie season left much to be desired. He didn't play in the Olympics. Even though he probably was disappointed he still went again to play in 2010. Why would he do that, especially since it was 4 years prior to the next Olympics (i.e. has no meaning what-so-ever in that respect)? In 2011 he was in the playoffs, in 2012 he said no, and then in 2013, Stamkos, one of a hand-full of Canadian players who could rest assured that he would be picked for the Olympics chose to play the WHC again... If the conversation is what was described in a previous post Stamkos is either a fool or just crazy in love with Europe.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
I've seem some people complain that North Americans don't give Euro leagues enough repect, then turn around and say a team full of NHLers (no matter the quality) should always beat a team full of European league players.

which is pretty silly, there's lots of guys playing in European leagues who were just missing one aspect to their games to keep them out of the NHL. Maybe they're very talented players but the skating wasn't up to par, well in the slower international game that's not as big a deal, maybe a team wanted a big energy guy in the bottom 6 rather than a smaller skilled forward.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

I don't even think the US bothers calling guys like Parise or Kane anymore. They just try and bring in the top players from the past few U20 years, because they probably at least want to have the experience of playing in this tournament at least once or twice. After that you only get a few guys who really seem to enjoy it, like Paul Stastny.

tohaa

Apr 23, 2012
I think it's more of a statement about how people in NA think that NHL>>>>>>>>KHL/SHL/NLA, etc., but the reality is that France can beat a Canadian team when it's captained by Bieksa and Jason ****ing Chimera has an "A".

I have trouble understanding the "Canadians and Americans don't want to represent their country at the WC" argument as well. If even Giroux doesn't make the Canadian Olympic team, why doesn't he or anyone below him who is unlikely to be at the OG go ahead and prove something at the WC? Kind of a pathetic attitude.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Well, it's now hard to call the Canadians out as they won the Olympics twice in a row even though they have no gold in WJHC and WHC since 2010

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012

This is such a pathetic post, the players out there playing for Canada, and USA are thrilled to play for their country when they didn't get to earlier in the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad