GDT: USA (4) vs. Russia (3) • Semifinals • Jan. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Well the website was out of date. The rule change happened in May, in Russia. Literally anybody on Russia who didn't know should be fired. There is no excuse for them not knowing the rule. That said, I'm pretty sure they did know the rule since I didn't see anybody celebrating after the stop on the third US attempt.

Of course they knew. They wouldn't have used Kaprizov as the 5th shooter. Sidorov was the only one who didn't know.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Well the website was out of date. The rule change happened in May, in Russia. Literally anybody on Russia who didn't know should be fired. There is no excuse for them not knowing the rule. That said, I'm pretty sure they did know the rule since I didn't see anybody celebrating after the stop on the third US attempt.

Other than the kid who skated almost all the way to the goalie and half the Russian bench.

Antonglk

Dec 28, 2012
Moscow, Russia
To everyone who talk about OT until someone score. I think that even 10 minutes OT is to long, because they have to play next day. 5 minutes 3 on 3 + shootout should be enough. Otherwise the team in finals who didn't have OT has an advantage.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Was a great game. Don't understand why the Russian coach didn't use Guryanov twice after the round of 5. Like Terry's hot hand, I'd have kept going with him after the 5 shooters.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Troy Terry with a TJ Oshie esque shootout performance in the World Juniors

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
To everyone who talk about OT until someone score. I think that even 10 minutes OT is to long, because they have to play next day. 5 minutes 3 on 3 + shootout should be enough. Otherwise the team in finals who didn't have OT has an advantage.

That's a fair point.

However, in the NHL though, you have teams winning in 4 games against teams winning in 7 with several OT wins.

If you want the advantage, win in regulation.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Who scored in the shootout for the us? Fing pvr stopped recording

Terry, Bracco, Terry and Terry.

Also, the offical IIHF doc, as well as the live feed, of game events (not the video, but the live play-by-play on the worldjuniors web site) indicate that the order was changed after the 3rd shooter, exactly as stated in the rules.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Hate the shootout but in a single game elimination anything can happen anyways.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Great game. Shootout was exciting too. Never liked deciding a game by a shootout but it was exciting. 5 hole looms large for Samsonov.

antidotevsk

May 10, 2009
Voskresensk, Russia
Official site lies to us:
Saved by goalie RUS 21. ALEXEYEV Denis 1. PARSONS Tyler - on goal
Scored RUS 24. VOROBYOV Mikhail 1. PARSONS Tyler - on goal
Scored USA 20. TERRY Troy 30. SAMSONOV Ilya - on goal

but Terry scored before Vorobyev!

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Was a great game. Don't understand why the Russian coach didn't use Guryanov twice after the round of 5. Like Terry's hot hand, I'd have kept going with him after the 5 shooters.

Easy to second guess now, unfortunately for Polunin he dinged his attempt off the post. Best I can think of is that they maybe wanted to alternate lefty-righty which kinda reminded me of the US alternating Jack Johnson and Peter Mueller years ago in that long shootout against Canada.

Antonglk

Dec 28, 2012
Moscow, Russia
That's a fair point.

However, in the NHL though, you have teams winning in 4 games against teams winning in 7 with several OT wins.

If you want the advantage, win in regulation.

Right, but these are kids and in NHL teams still have at least four games with rest days between them. In WJC team could have to play in less than 20 hours after semis

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Terry, Bracco, Terry and Terry.

Also, the offical IIHF doc, as well as the live feed, of game events (not the video, but the live play-by-play on the worldjuniors web site) indicate that the order was changed after the 3rd shooter, exactly as stated in the rules.

Ok...thanks, I get the confusion now

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Right, but these are kids and in NHL teams still have at least four games with rest days between them. In WJC team could have to play in less than 20 hours after semis

There appears to be no perfect solution aside from delaying the final which the IIHF doesn't appear interested in doing.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Parsons was very average in this game. I wouldn't mind seeing Woll in the final but I'd understand if they roll with Parsons again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad