Tennis: US Open 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Tiny sample, but I liked those set scores yesterday (6-7, 6-1, 6-3)--as they suggest Denis learns fast.

Here's a headline that I would rather not see:

"Denis Shapovalov: A unique blend of Federer and Nadal"

from RealSport: https://realsport101.com/news/sports/tennis/denis-shapovalov-a-unique-blend-of-federer-nadal/

I think he is more like Laver and Borg personally. :sarcasm::sarcasm:

Losing the first and winning the next two was his template during Rogers Cup. Even the straight sets loss to Zherdev, he came on near the end.

If he's figuring out his opponent faster than they're figuring out him, that bodes well.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
What is shapovolov's upside? I've heard about him for the last couple years as well as FAA, but it seems like Dennis has taken some huge strides since.

Could he be a top 20 player down the road?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
What is shapovolov's upside? I've heard about him for the last couple years as well as FAA, but it seems like Dennis has taken some huge strides since.

Sky high. But likelihood of reaching that upside is still questionable. On pure potential though he has elite qualities in most areas of the game - experience, health and the mental game will decide what happens.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga

Absolutely. He a big talent, and if I had to predict I'd say he'll be in the Top 10 within 5 years. I believe his full potential is even higher but who knows.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I agree he has the potential to be a top 10 player. With many top players set to retire relatively soon, the window is beginning to open for everyone else.

Generation useless might grab a few slams but I have more faith in the next gen players.

But I truly believe the real deal is FAA. Future #1 IMO.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I sort of am happy to see Sharapova back in the groove. Women's game has missed her.

I"m sure i'll be annoyed by her shortly.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I resent seeing Sharapova back on centre court after her suspension but it doesn't surprise me.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tomic tanks the fourth and final set against Muller, but at least plays it out despite being on several occasions (like, every court change) sorely tempted to quit. So, is this progress?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I hate when ESPN stays on one court and makes me go online to stream Jack Sock's match. Go to the 5th set please.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Annnnnd 'bathroom' break for Sharapova. Nothing has changed. She's still trying everything in the rule-book to increase her chances of winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad