US National broadcast schedule announced

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
NBC SPORTS TO AIR 109 GAMES DURING 2019-20 NHL REGULAR SEASON

Looks like they want to show less favoritism/East Coast bias with these statements from press release:
More Than 60% of 2019-20 Schedule Features Western Conference Teams
Doubleheaders: 14 of 25 “Wednesday Night Hockey” showcases on NBCSN will be doubleheaders, with a nearly equal balance of Eastern and Western Conference teams;
Star Power: Established stars and young phenoms will take center stage on “Wednesday Night Hockey,” highlighted by multiple appearances from the likes of Alex Ovechkin (WSH), Sidney Crosby (PIT), Patrice Bergeron (BOS), Alex Pietrangelo (STL), Marc-Andre Fleury (VGK), Patrick Kane (CHI), Steven Stamkos (TBL), Claude Giroux (PHI), Henrik Lundqvist (NYR), Erik Karlsson (SJS), Joe Pavelski (DAL), Jonathan Quick (LAK), and Nathan MacKinnon (COL);
Diverse Schedule: “Wednesday Night Hockey” will showcase nearly 75% of NHL teams this season, NBCSN’s widest variety of teams to date on Wednesday nights, including multiple appearances by Tampa Bay, Los Angeles, Colorado, Dallas, and Vegas. The defending champion St. Louis Blues will make four “Wednesday Night Hockey” appearances, while the runner-up Boston Bruins will have three appearances.
All U.S. teams will be featured on NBC or NBCSN; Canadian teams will make a combined 14 appearances on NBCSN, including four appearances for Connor McDavid and the Edmonton Oilers and three appearances for Auston Matthews and the Toronto Maple Leafs;

I'm somewhat amused at their selections of "star" players. May not be the "best" player on the team, but perhaps the one most known.

109 games total

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
As usual, Carolina only gets one game.

Thank God for ESPN+ because I hate the way they plan these out.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Islanders: 5th in regular season points, 2nd round of playoffs. 2 Games.
Rangers: 26th in regular season points, no playoffs. 13 Games.

Then again, I hate when we're on NBCSN.

:biglaugh:

How many O6 teams have 10+ games? How many games for 1967 expansion teams?

I'll come right out and say I mute most of the national broadcasters (and sync up local radio feed with TV to watch).

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

webdev

Nov 3, 2017

:biglaugh:

How many O6 teams have 10+ games? How many games for 1967 expansion teams?

I'll come right out and say I mute most of the national broadcasters (and sync up local radio feed with TV to watch).

I know many Leaf fans that sync to Joe Bowen on the radio. TSN and SN guys are all just a cringefest these days.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Even taking the McDavid factor into account, I'm surprised to see the Oilers appear 4 times. Meanwhile "better" teams like Carolina only get 1 game.

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
Wow, it shows how irrelevant the large city of Toronto is to the U.S. audience? Only four Leafs appearances despite several stars.

Although they were on the NBC Saturday night games against Boston in each (?) of the past two playoffs -- but largely because of Hockey Night in Canada's needs?

Reactions: Morrison

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Islanders: 5th in regular season points, 2nd round of playoffs. 2 Games.
Rangers: 26th in regular season points, no playoffs. 13 Games.

Then again, I hate when we're on NBCSN.

As a Ranger fan, I hate when the Rangers are on NBC/NBCSN, unless Kenny Albert is doing the game.

Otherwise, it's a ridiculously biased broadcast and infuriating to try to watch.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Wow, it shows how irrelevant the large city of Toronto is to the U.S. audience? Only four Leafs appearances despite several stars.

Although they were on the NBC Saturday night games against Boston in each (?) of the past two playoffs -- but largely because of Hockey Night in Canada's needs?
Not bad for team that plays in a different country.

OTOH I'd be worried if I was a fan of an original 6 team in the US and only had 3 nationally broadcasted games.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Even taking the McDavid factor into account, I'm surprised to see the Oilers appear 4 times. Meanwhile "better" teams like Carolina only get 1 game.

Neither Edmonton nor Toronto are in the US. NBCSN is a US station.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
As a Ranger fan, I hate when the Rangers are on NBC/NBCSN, unless Kenny Albert is doing the game.

Otherwise, it's a ridiculously biased broadcast and infuriating to try to watch.

Basically every fanbase thinks the NBC squad is biased against their team, which is really funny to me. They're just not homers for everyone's team, like all local broadcasts are. I don't particularly like the national broadcasts, but it's hardly because of any perceived favoritism.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
In the end it’s ratings that drive the schedule because of the ad monies involved.

That and the time zone shifts involved. Kings/Canucks would be a 10pm start on the east coast. And unless it’s a weekend game, starting at 4pm in the west isn’t going to appeal to the locals.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

It would probably be one or two if not for Matthews. As for the playoffs part was Boston and part meeting HNIC needs.

The Maple Leafs don't resonate in the US like they do Canada. The market size isn't a factor like it is in Canada because it is a 0 in terms of local audience either way for U.S. broadcast (where in Canada it is obviously the largest audience). Then when you look historically, the Leafs have only had various short stints of competitiveness in the last 50 years so they could cultivate a niche fan base.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Ah yes, the annual NBCSN likes only 10 teams in the league day. I was looking at the schedule and it's actually pretty good this year. It actually feels like NBC is listening to feedback and putting more teams on, and the fact that they can use the NBC Sports RSN's to help with the national coverage is a good thing. I was surprised that St. Louis got not NBC games though. Even if they weren't Champions, aren't they a strong hockey market?

I really do wish Doc would come west of the Mississippi River on occasion though. I noticed in March the Sharks play the Blackhawks on Wednesday Night and that might be a Doc and Eddie game. That's exciting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad