US Bank Arena won't be US Bank Arena

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Are they still renovating or is off the table to now.

The renovation push was a pie-in-the-sky hope to make a killing off of the public troth. Niederlander and AEG (the owners) wanted to retain some ownership and operate the arena for the city/county/state. Can't blame them for trying, but Cincinnati and Hamilton County are financial messes and it just wasn't going to happen for a number of reasons.

Also, there is no prospect for a major tenant. The NHL or the NBA aren't coming to Cincinnati and all three local Division I basketball programs have new or newly renovated on campus arenas. The Coliseum owners were trying to sell the idea of NCAA round 1 and 2 and a national political convention as the fruits of putting $350-400 million into a new arena. There's just not enough potential events which would even come close to justifying that type of expenditure.

I'm going to guess that the Riverfront Coliseum will be Cincinnati's premier indoor event facility well into the 2030s. The Cincinnati Gardens was open for 67 years and if the Coliseum matches that the year will be 2041.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
As long as Cincinnati pro hockey can be kept alive 'til 2041, that'll be a good thing. An eastern extension of the Bell Connector light rail (or even better, across to Kentucky) might-could help draw some more hockey fans to the riverfront, but I doubt either one of those is gonna happen any time soon. Downtown Cincinnati has impressed me with its development over the last 15 years & its possibilities for future improvement. But as @Cyclones Rock points out, the local governments are significantly challenged.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad