Player Discussion Urho Vaakanainen

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Has impressed me. With this team he's probably gonna be playing in the top4 next season unless they acquire someone thru trade.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Vaks gap control seems really damn good in the games thus far. He is a pretty unnoticeable player but you need guys like that, ones that make the right play and rarely make mistakes. I think he becomes at #3-#4 personally if he's paired with the right person. He's the reverse Jamie Drysdale boring and never makes mistakes while Drysdale is high event hockey at both ends.....

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I think he's been fine? He's got great speed, seems to have good defensive instincts, seems strong on the boards. I think I've only seen him screw up a couple times but I think those were attributable to him assuming that other players would do what they were supposed to do.

At this point I feel like he could be a pretty solid low maintenance minute-eater.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Vaks gap control seems really damn good in the games thus far. He is a pretty unnoticeable player but you need guys like that, ones that make the right play and rarely make mistakes. I think he becomes at #3-#4 personally if he's paired with the right person. He's the reverse Jamie Drysdale boring and never makes mistakes while Drysdale is high event hockey at both ends.....
Yeah, he does all the little things that you don't really see unless you're paying attention.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
It's been a month with no updates at all unless I missed something. Was the injury even even named or is it just some vague upper and/or lower body-injury?

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
As good as Lindholm is/was, I was leary of a long term deal with his injury history.

Amazing we traded for a young guy with a bad injury history while “looking towards the future”

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
As good as Lindholm is/was, I was leary of a long term deal with his injury history.

Amazing we traded for a young guy with a bad injury history while “looking towards the future”

Vaaks got wrecked earlier in the season up in the NHL with Boston. Upon recovery, he then got sent back down to the AHL and not seen again. That was his second concussion. We still traded for him knowing that. Guess it was a gamble that Verbeek took. It's not looking great now. And with this third concussion, I dunno if I can expect him not to incur another concussion. I know our previous GM would have stayed away from Vaaks b/c of what transpired with Kase.

Wait... is this payback for us trading them Kase?

Reactions: pbgoalie

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
the last i can remember hearing anything about him was like 3 weeks ago from Dillman. I think she had a tiny blurb in one of her articles saying he's nowhere close. the lack of updates probably has meant that his condition hasn't changed and he's not anywhere close to being back in action.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Hasn’t been talked about as much as some other guys, but he’s another who has looked much better this season than last. Still probably gets surpassed by our more talented D, maybe we can trade him for a winger

Reactions: robbieboy3686

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Hasn’t been talked about as much as some other guys, but he’s another who has looked much better this season than last. Still probably gets surpassed by our more talented D, maybe we can trade him for a winger
Agreed. I think the injuries have really limited the player he could become but I think he's been serviceable

Reactions: Sean Garrity

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
What doesnt get talked about much is.. Everyone is looking better on this team.. You wanna guess why? Because we have a coach that knows wtf hes doing lol

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
It's not a big surprise, or at least it shouldn't be. He looked perfectly fine, and everyone was reasonably enthused about him based on his play after we acquired him. We really haven't seen him since that season, with all the injuries.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad