Confirmed with Link: Upshall Signs 1 Year

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Yeah I don’t get it at all really. At the end of the day it’s not a huge deal but just seems kind of pointless.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Maybe if Bennett wasn't trash we wouldn't have to grab Upshall. (I gotta admit tho, I was wrong when I said I was sure we weren't signing him)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I've been vocal about not being too happy about this signing.

However, I don't agree with the posts that Upshall's game fell off a cliff or anything like that. He scored 10 goals and about 20 points last year. He can still skate very well. He's physical and can PK well. Yeah he takes some dumb penalties but there's nothing that has suggested his game is declining. He's an extremely good 4th liner. A great one even.

The only issue is that we need a top 6 or top 9 player, not a 4th liner.

But, hopefully there's still a chance we get someone else too.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I like it. Scottie is a reliable vet who knows our system and is liked in the clubhouse. This will relieve some of the pressure on the youngsters and allow them to get better without demoralizing them when they make mistakes at key moments. I can see Yeo playing Upshall more in the beginning and less and less as the season moves along and the new guys figure things out.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
If I'm making the lines based on the current roster, I'd probably role out:
Schwartz-Barbashev-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Stastny-Schenn
Paajarvi-Megan-Blais
Jaskin-Brodziak-Sundqvist

Man our center core is not looking good. I know Schenn has been playing 2C but he isn't a fit at center and eventually will be moved to RW in my opinion. We better hope Stastny can play 82 and Barbashev has a hell of a season because it's not looking good. If Sobotka could play C (not sure why he isn't) that'd be a big help.

I do wish they kept Thomas around to start the year at 3C and then Megan could play 4C.

Either way, I don't see Upshall fitting in the top 12 and we just didn't need another 4th liner. It would've been better to pick up Agostino on waivers and put him in Sobotka's spot and role our bottom 3 lines as
Agostino-Stastny-Schenn
Sobotka-Megan-Blais
Jaskin-Brodziak/Sundqvist-Paajarvi.

I know the lines have been different from what I'm suggesting, I'm just throwing my opinion out there.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I'm happy that Jaskin doesnt' play. He's dead body, slowest guy in NHL and doesn't bring anything in the table.

Except the highest possession and defensive stats of any regular Blues player last year, and the most hits per game/per-60 tham anybody but Reaves. He can't be the slowest guy in the NHL, because Lehtera's contract hasn't expired yet, so he hasn't been forced back to Finland.

Reactions: BraydenSchenn

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Except the highest possession and defensive stats of any regular Blues player last year, and the most hits per game/per-60 tham anybody but Reaves. He can't be the slowest guy in the NHL, because Lehtera's contract hasn't expired yet, so he hasn't been forced back to Finland.
I was gonna say, we just traded the slowest guy not long ago :laugh:

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
stupid deal, guy took like 10 stupid penalties last postseason. only player dumber than him was perron.

Last edited:

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I really don't get how anyone who actually watched Upshall play last year would think he hasn't lost a step. Honestly, I think some folks just look at his stat line last season and think it was pretty good given his usage, which it was. However it's misleading IMO and really doesn't match up with my eye test. A couple of EN goals helped pad those stats, THIS was his most remarkable goal last season IMO.

That said, this signing isn't the worst thing or really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things...it's just disappointing to me. Disappointing that other players haven't stepped up, that we have so many injuries, etc. Meh. I am worried that Upshall's decreasing foot speed will cause him to take too many penalties, but maybe he proves me wrong.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Hells to the yes....wooooooo! Welcome back Scottie. Glad Army came to his senses and shored up our 4th line.

said nobody ever.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Upshall seals the fate for one of Kostin, Megan; Blais, or Thompson.

Schwartz Stastny Tarasenko
Sobotka Schenn Blais
(Megan, Thompson or Kostin) Barbashev Jaskin
Upshall Sundqvist Brodziak

X- Paajarvi Thorburn

When Steen returns it’s down to 1 rookie forward on the roster. The game is slowly phasing out the enforcer role. Call me crazy but I hope to see 4 lines that have the ability to score one of these years.

Steen Schenn Blais
Sobotka Barbashev Kostin
Thompson Megan Jaskin

There’s still plenty of PK players in that group. The top line gets 20 minuets, 2nd & 3rd lines get 15 minutes, and the 4th line gets 10. Aim for that and let the game dictate the details. If everyone was healthy it’d be:

Fabbri Schenn Tarasenko
Schwartz Stastny Sobotka
Steen Barbashev Blais
Thompson Megan Kostin

GoBluz24

Established 1967
Apr 8, 2012
so ill near st lou
Upshall seals the fate for one of Kostin, Megan; Blais, or Thompson.

Sobotka Schenn Blais
(Megan, Thompson or Kostin) Barbashev Jaskin
Upshall Sundqvist Brodziak

X- Paajarvi Thorburn

When Steen returns it’s down to 1 rookie forward on the roster. The game is slowly phasing out the enforcer role. Call me crazy but I hope to see 4 lines that have the ability to score one of these years.

Steen Schenn Blais
Sobotka Barbashev Kostin
Thompson Megan Jaskin

There’s still plenty of PK players in that group. The top line gets 20 minuets, 2nd & 3rd lines get 15 minutes, and the 4th line gets 10. Aim for that and let the game dictate the details. If everyone was healthy it’d be:

Fabbri Schenn Tarasenko
Schwartz Stastny Sobotka
Steen Barbashev Blais
Thompson Megan Kostin

Your forgetting somebody.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I would rather Thompson and Kostin go to the AHL and get lots of playing time. Why rush them? How will either of them really benefit from playing on the 4th line? I don't really get the idea that Upshall is taking away a youngsters roster spot. Upshall will likely see a lot of the press box, and he is really only providing competition for Megan and Jaskin. I don't see that as a big deal. If one of them are better, Upshall sits. We're talking about the 4th line here. I think Blais makes the team and plays in the top 9 regardless. If anything, Upshall could be used on the PK only, or something. I just don't think it's a bad idea to sign Scotty Upshall.I think he's still useful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad