Upgrading an old PC

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
heh. you responded while I was typing. Thanks man :)

Is there any conflict between video cards? Will I have to somehow tell the computer to use a dedicated card if I want to and ignore the integrated graphics?

In terms of long term compatability I find it goes

Graphics

Ram

CPU

the GPU slot size doesn't seem to change very often, my PC is old as yours and I had no problems buying a card last year (GTX 750 TI). Problem with my system is it's only a dual core with 4 GB of ram, and I can't really upgrade either of those.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Bumping this hoping Sniper sees it.

I am getting close to placing my order. Its been a few months since I posed this question and I know you seem to be on top of technology and deals, so are there any things out now I should be aware of before I go ordering the 4 items you suggested?

I am assuming installing an OS on a SSD is no different than installing an OS on a old HD.

Speaking of OS......I probably need to snag one.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I am getting close to placing my order. Its been a few months since I posed this question and I know you seem to be on top of technology and deals, so are there any things out now I should be aware of before I go ordering the 4 items you suggested?

For a low end system at the budget, no change really. Especially if your needs are still the same, low end gaming and general desktop stuff.

Though when I link stuff I'm not necessarily looking for the best deal price wise so you might shop around at other retailers or similar parts. PCPartPicker usually can price compare for you. If you decide to poke around for better deals post up what you find if you want to make sure it's all compatible or whatever.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Here's a relatively cheap new stuff upgrade option you can chew on.

CPU - AMD A10-7860K
Board - AsRock FM2A68M
RAM - 8GB Kingston
SSD - Corsair Force LE 240GB

You'd actually be dropping the 8800 GT in this case and using the onboard graphics from the A10, it's faster.

$330 pre-shipping/tax.

Sniper, I know this may seem strange, but is it possible with all these items for me to still use my old 8800GT with this setup and overrule the R7(Or somehow disable it?) and the R5?

Some kind of bullcrap incompatibility with Crimson drivers with Windows going on the past while. I see zillions of people with the same problem as me (Stop code: thread stuck in driver device) and the fixes people swear by don't work for me. Only happens when I am running project Zomboid. Its awful annoying. But it is definitely some kind of driver issue getting looped.

I have tried completely DDU removing all graphics drivers and fresh installing. Nope. Getting rid of all programs that might be...nope don't have any extra programs yet on this fresh install and I already disabled the Xbox app and checked for Raptr. Disabling a bunch of stuff.....Nope. Updating drivers for everything else(Audio)......Nope.

Right now its beyond annoying. Will the 8800GT PCI E card work fine on this Mobo? I think so, but I am not sure how to go about uninstalling the radeons to default to the Geforce old card. I just want to see if the problem persists with the old video card, because then at least I can isolate that its probably a motherboard issue or possibly the sound drivers getting stuck in a loop and not the graphics drivers.

Bios/UEFI is already updated to the most recent Win10 supporting version.

I considered trying catalyst beta drivers, but it says right on the downloads that those are for dedicated memory cards, not APU's Integrated.

But I am tired and just spent 10 hours trying to fix this problem. Zomboid is not exactly a demanding game on video cards, so my guess is anything I play will crash.

I wish there was some damn way it would tell me WHICH driver is getting caught in a loop so I can figure out the problem. In Vista I knew my way around this stuff, but I am lost in win 10 and Tom's hardware guys and such are not responding

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Yes you can use your old 8800 GT.

I'd probably try using old drivers first though. Pick a random old AMD driver from 6-12 months ago and give it a go.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Yes you can use your old 8800 GT.

I'd probably try using old drivers first though. Pick a random old AMD driver from 6-12 months ago and give it a go.

I have been rolling backwards down the list all day lol.

Currently trying Catalyst 15.7.1 version 15.200.1062.1004 from 2015.

It was the last driver they put out before they moved all these APU's to legacy and rolled out Crimson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad