Upgrade Housley and Vanderklok ?

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
2013 - 14 the PK was 25th in the league and 18th this season. Power play was 19th then 20th. If Housley is the primary coach for special teams and in 2 years we remain in the bottom half of the league then he may not be the guy needed. Remember how frustrated we were with the PP especially early in the season? Remember how many times 6 on 5 we could not generate a goal ... GOT TO BE BETTER WITH A MAN ADVANTAGE!!!

Though Vanderklok did work with Korn he doesn't have the influence/effect on Pekka needed. Vanderklok is the same age as Pekka. An older more experienced goalie coach might garner more respect and have more influence than someone who could be one of your peers. Not saying Rinne doesn't respect Vanderklok (I have no idea) but in general how often does any player learn from a coach his own age and with less experience. 2 Titles with the Amsterdam Tigers of the Netherlands Elite League over a decade ago and coaching the Niagara Ice Dogs in the Ontario Hockey League plus a year under Korn isn't good enough.

Poile said it was a seamless transition (6/24/14)

“Ben has worked closely with all the goaltenders in our organization and has been integral in their development and success while learning from one of the best in Mitch Korn,” Poile said. “This is a natural fit to have Ben transition into the lead role, and his relationship with Pekka Rinne and Carter Hutton will make this process seamless.”

now after a year of transition I think Rinne and Hutton/his replacement can handle a goalie coach change.

Replace #shutupstu /#frankenstu as commentator with Hutton if he can't find a good playing role somewhere while they are at it.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I remember Horacek got the bums rush out the door so we could hire Housley before someone else did. Not that I'd want Horacek back, I think he isnt that good.

The only possible plus I see for Housley is if he has been the reaosn that Ellis and Ekholm have bloomed nicely. If so, he may be worth keeping, but having Lavy or someone else run the PP, or else seeing if he can learn from this year and make the PP better next year.

The problem with replacing venderklok is that its unknown if a better coach is available(you would think the good, older coaches already have jobs, and you really dont want someone who was fired elsewhere, do you?), and its also unknown if pekka, at this stage of his career, would respond to anyone new that he has never worked with. Tiger Woods has had 4 different swing coaches, and he arguably gotten worse with each one... I would worry about a new coach trying to reinvent Pekka and it not working or taking 6 months to get accustomed to any new "system"

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
We're lucky to have Housley. He'd get hired pretty fast if he let him go. Our special teams suck, but his primary reason for being here is to develop our young d-core. He's doing a good job.

Vanderklok is more under the radar than Housley as far as what we can see, but I see no reason to fire him. Pekka struggled after an injury. It happens. Pekka also played out of his mind early in the season. So Vanderklok gets none of the credit but all of the blame?

And Hutton is 29. He's not retiring to sit next to Pete Weber. If he can't get an NHL gig after his contract expires then he'll go back to the AHL or head over to Europe. Hal Gill on the other hand is an upgrade over Stu... Someone needs to give the big guy a call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad