UPEI To Host Nationals

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Awesome news.

The women’s tournament got big crowds last year so I have no doubt they will do a good job with it.

Interesting that it is only for one year once again...I wonder if that will be the norm moving forward.

It also means the AUS will have hosted 6 out of 7 years, by five different schools...and I wouldn’t be surprised if Moncton bids again soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Awesome news.

The women’s tournament got big crowds last year so I have no doubt they will do a good job with it.

Interesting that it is only for one year once again...I wonder if that will be the norm moving forward.

It also means the AUS will have hosted 6 out of 7 years, by five different schools...and I wouldn’t be surprised if Moncton bids again soon.
It will be an 8 team format, so no changes for 2020-21.
I believe they will draw well, certainly much better than Lethbridge this year.

Reactions: Drummer

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
The release did mention 8-teams, so I agree with Red Army East that the format looks to be the same. The only difference might be the removal of the Bronze game, but I doubt it.

Great news for UNB - very likely they are in both of these finals (Halifax & Charlottetown) and a chance to three-peat.

Great for UPEI - a strong host (might be stronger than Acadia this year and much stronger than Lethbridge). UPEI's downfall has been their inability to crack the top 3. Playing in the 4/5 game sets up a round-2 match vs #1 UNB. They need to finish 3rd or possibly 2nd to avoid meeting UNB in round 2. They would need at least 36pts to finish 3rd - that's 10-12 more points or 5-6 more wins (18 wins is 5-0 vs DAL & UdeM, plus 3-2 vs ACD & SMU and 2-3 vs SFX or some combination of 3-2/3-2/2-3 vs NS teams and a bonus win over UNB gets them a 19th win)

2016 - Finish #6 (25pts), lose to #1 UNB in the Semi's
2017 - Finish #5 (26pts), lose to #4 SMU in the Quarter-Finals (who lose to UNB in the Semi's)
2018 - Finish #5 (23pts), lose to #4 SMU in the Quarter-Finals (who lose to UNB in the Semi's)
2019 - Finish #4 (31pts), lose to #1 UNB in the Semi's

If they can get into this year's tournament, even as the AUS 3rd place team (which can only happen if ACD is in the AUS finals) - that would give them a lot of experience for their host year.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I endorse this move. UPEI is a reasonably good team and it's nice to see new hosts added.

Reactions: AUS Fan

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Taking away the gratuitous mention of a UNB 3-peat, I concur with Drummer's post. I'm certain there will be a Bronze game, it's become part of the tournament now.
I also feel (without taking ANYTHING away from UPEI) that their only hope of going to the Nationals was to host. Too difficult to win against UNB, SMU, ACA or SFX in the playoffs. They may win one round but will eventually lose. Past 4 years are an example of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad