Updated line up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Obviously you'd expect a drop in the 2nd pairing since they're going up against the scrap pieces on the 2nd unit.

It's just worth noting that we've lost arguably our best PK'er this off-season and replaced him (plus his cap-hit) for someone who doesn't PK all that much (or was ever leaned on in that way).

Hey, Im a guy in an incredibly small minority that thinks we should resign Ceci (obviously at a smaller caphit). His numbers with both Dermott and Sandin are incredible and would give us both RHD depth and an injury bailout as he is comfortable playing up and down the lineup.

I know Muzzin/Ceci were one of the best PK units in the league, was just commenting that Brodie has both experience and success on the PK so it shouldnt be a massive drop off.

One of my favorite stats from this year:

Muzzin and Ceci played together around 180 minutes this year. 90 of those were as a first pairing PK unit and the rest were in defensive situations/holding leads.

Their Goal differential as a pairing? 50%

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
That team is somehow softer than last year. Adding 1 player in Simmonds isnt going to change our whole level of grit.

Why is Robertson penciled in every lineup? Is he another soft small player?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but this is an uneducated one. Are you saying this because you googled his height? Other than the 3 playoff games, have you watch him play at all?

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Hey, Im a guy in an incredibly small minority that thinks we should resign Ceci (obviously at a smaller caphit). His numbers with both Dermott and Sandin are incredible and would give us both RHD depth and an injury bailout as he is comfortable playing up and down the lineup.

I know Muzzin/Ceci were one of the best PK units in the league, was just commenting that Brodie has both experience and success on the PK so it shouldnt be a massive drop off.

One of my favorite stats from this year:

Muzzin and Ceci played together around 180 minutes this year. 90 of those were as a first pairing PK unit and the rest were in defensive situations/holding leads.

Their Goal differential as a pairing? 50%

Yup, we'll see how it shakes out.

I expect Brodie to be a boost in 5-on-5 play but losing Ceci/Barrie will result in a drop in special teams play to some degree.

5-on-5 play is where the Leafs struggled most in the Columbus series though so I'm OK prioritizing that.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I've not seen any discussion of Filip Hallander either. Anyone have the skinny on this guy? Is he ready to try and play in the NHL and bring a net presence? He plays centre/left wing, and I envisioned a net presence player like him on the same line as Simmonds being a great fit. Also, he can learn the ropes while having a strong, veteran player who has his back.

My belief was they lacked the net presence all year, especially against CBJ, and it certainly makes it easier for other teams D. If his scouting report and his own words are accurate, he should be given a shot. We need cheap options in the bottom six and this guy could fill the void.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Why are people penciling Simmonds on 3rd line? He is a 4th liner/13th forward. We still need to get tougher in our bottom 6 and more defensively responsible in order to win a single round. I like Brodie, I like Simmonds, but it's not going to be enough

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Why are people penciling Simmonds on 3rd line? He is a 4th liner/13th forward. We still need to get tougher in our bottom 6 and more defensively responsible in order to win a single round. I like Brodie, I like Simmonds, but it's not going to be enough
There's one more move coming. Maybe even tonight. This is so hard and we're so hard now. All eyes the leafs. Simmonds made us so much better than tougher, meaner, harder. Only the way he talks makes us already more unite as a team. We loving this all :heart:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
That team is somehow softer than last year. Adding 1 player in Simmonds isnt going to change our whole level of grit.

Why is Robertson penciled in every lineup? Is he another soft small player?
You sure don’t know about your players

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
The Leafs needed to add the Simmonds' element but in the end the Leafs' softness issue isn't about fights or hits. It's about fighting through stifling defensive schemes instead of submitting to them and that's entirely on the deca-millionaires.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Yup, we'll see how it shakes out.

I expect Brodie to be a boost in 5-on-5 play but losing Ceci/Barrie will result in a drop in special teams play to some degree.

5-on-5 play is where the Leafs struggled most in the Columbus series though so I'm OK prioritizing that.

The historically low 2% 5v5 shooting seems to be the main outlier....which also means a historic save% on the other side.

How were the Leafs 5v5 (score adjusted) underlying offensive numbers ranked against the other 24 teams in the qualifying round?

Corsi For/60: 63.37 (3rd best out of 24)
Shots For/60: 32.66 (6th best out of 24)
Scoring Chances For/60: 31.57 (2nd best out of 24)
High Danger Chances For/60: 10.43 (14th best out of 24)
Expected Goals For/60: 2.13 (10th best out of 24)

Actual goals for/60: 0.65

Even though Columbus did a simply OK job in limiting high danger chances, it was still a shooting gallery for Korpisalo at 5v5 in the series. It really looks like we got beat by great goaltending IMO. I think Korpisalos NHL playoff record 85 save performance against Tampa showed us the zone he was in and why he stole the series for Columbus. It happens I guess(why always to us). If you compare Columbus' defensive stats to the regular season, both Toronto and Tampa shredded them and it was Korpisalo that was carrying a struggling Jackets team. Even in the Tampa series, every game was a one goal win.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Still some time for the dust to settle...It think it will end up looking something like this:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Mikheyev-Tavares-Marner
Robertson-Kerfoot-Simmonds
UFA-Engvall-Spezza

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-UFA

Andersen
Campbell

I think Johnsson is gone. If Dermott is moved, Lehtonen will step in and allow more time for Sandin to develop.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Everyone is entitled to an opinion but this is an uneducated one. Are you saying this because you googled his height? Other than the 3 playoff games, have you watch him play at all?

Yeah Ill be honest with you....I didnt know much about Robertson.

Is there any video highlights that shows his Physical part of the game? Is he a hitter? An agitator? A fghter?

swint

Nov 16, 2014
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Simmonds-Tavares-Marner
Robertson-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Spezza-Engvall-Anderson
Boyd

Rielly-Weegar
Muzzin-Brodie
Lehtonen-Bogosian
Sandin

Andersen
Campbell

Dermott+picks to FLA for Weegar
Holl to somebody for a pick

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Simmonds-Tavares-Marner
Robertson-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Spezza-Engvall-Anderson
Boyd

Rielly-Weegar
Muzzin-Brodie
Lehtonen-Bogosian
Sandin

Andersen
Campbell

Dermott+picks to FLA for Weegar
Holl to somebody for a pick

Who's Anderson?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Wayne Simmonds is not a 4th liner. And he's not really that useful of a pickup if that's all he's gonna be played.

Reactions: Cobra777

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
1. Make a Deal Centered around Alexander Kerfoot and Marcus Foligno. Idk who adds in that scenario.
2. Sign Clifford.
3. Trade Holl For a Pick

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Foligno - Mathews - Nylander
Mikheyev - Engvall - Robertson
Clifford - Spezza - Simmonds
Barbanov

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Dermott
Lehtonen - Bogosian

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020
The Leafs needed to add the Simmonds' element but in the end the Leafs' softness issue isn't about fights or hits. It's about fighting through stifling defensive schemes instead of submitting to them and that's entirely on the deca-millionaires.

Its most definitely hits....that's why Nylander sucks, he never finishes a check, or blocks shots.

Last edited:

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Was that not part of the point of bringing in a guy like Simmonds? He gives his all to win, when players on a team are willing to do this it often inspires teammates to play with more heart as well. Simmond's career may be in its declining years but that does not mean that he will be unable to inspire others to greater effort.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020
Was that not part of the point of bringing in a guy like Simmonds? He gives his all to win, when players on a team are willing to do this it often inspires teammates to play with more heart as well. Simmond's career may be in its declining years but that does not mean that he will be unable to inspire others to greater effort.

Could have made the same argument with Tavares and honestly all it thought our young guns was to sign top dollar.

You cant change someone look at Gardiner & Barrie they will always have that fear when they touch the puck lol.

Why didnt the addition of Clifford inspire our team?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
1. Make a Deal Centered around Alexander Kerfoot and Marcus Foligno. Idk who adds in that scenario.
2. Sign Clifford.
3. Trade Holl For a Pick

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Foligno - Mathews - Nylander
Mikheyev - Engvall - Robertson
Clifford - Spezza - Simmonds
Barbanov

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Dermott
Lehtonen - Bogosian

Sandin and Lilly?

Status