Updated Florida Panthers Top Prospects Rankings

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Seems like it's time to update prospect rankings across the HFNHL. With some recent trades, the middle and bottom part of this list looks much different than last time.

1. Trevor Zegras (1)
A late start at camp due to the World Juniors saw Zegras head to the AHL to start the year. So far so good as he leads the AHL in scoring with 5 points through 2 games. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Zegras probably doesn't spend too much longer in the AHL. Check out this amazing assist from the other night, where he faked the "Michigan" goal and set up a teammate.

2. Moritz Seider (2)
Playing in the SHL (Sweden), Seider has had an absolutely amazing season, emerging as one of the top blueliners in the league at just 19 years old. No question, he has emerged as one of the NHL's best defense prospects. He'll join the Wings in the NHL once his season in Sweden is over, which means he could get in 20-25 NHL games this year, hopefully enough to give him some solid ratings. In the meantime, enjoy this video of Seider's hits from the SHL this year. What a freakin' monster.

3. Jordan Kyrou (4)
I have been pretty patient with Kyrou thus far, as his development has been a little slower than I thought it would be when he first turned pro. But it's clear that he put in the work over the NHL hiatus and has come back a different player. He is currently averaging a point per game for the Blues and has, quite frankly, been dominating with his speed. Here's a video of him turning Alex Pietrangelo into a human pylon from a few weeks ago.

4. K'Andre Miller (5)
To be honest, I thought Miller would be a bit of a longer term project. A guy who would need a season or two in the AHL before becoming an NHL defender. Nope. He's stepped right into the top four of the New York Rangers and is excelling, playing over 20 minutes per night. He looks to have put it all together.

5. Nick Robertson (3)
Tough start to the year for Robertson. Cracked the Leafs roster but then suffered a knee injury that should keep him out for at least another few weeks. The Leafs forward group is being decimated by injuries right now too, so he'd be getting a serious shot to play minutes if he wasn't hurt. He remains a terrific goal scoring prospect and someone who should still make some sort of impact in the NHL this year.

6. Ty Dellandrea (6)
Who needs time in the AHL? Like Miller, Dellandrea has stepped right into the NHL with the Dallas Stars and is already seeing key minutes. A few games, he's been near the team lead in ice time for forwards and is out there at the ends of games protecting leads already. Hopefully he can keep this up and not hit a wall.

7. Tyler Madden (7)
Madden is a prospect that I'm pretty excited about. Through the AHL preseason, he was averaging two goals per game and should really continue to light up the AHL early. Whether he gets a serious shot at the NHL level this year remains to be seen, but long term, he's a got a great chance of being an impact player.

8. Lukas Reichel (11)
A mid first round selection of the NHL Blackhawks, Reichel has started the season well in the DEL after getting over COVID (that made him miss the World Juniors). He has even been playing some center this season and projects as a versatile player at the NHL level.

9. J.J. Peterka (10)
Peterka had a tremendous World Juniors for Germany and really established the fact that he should have been an NHL first round pick. He is playing only fourth line minutes on a deep team in the DEL, so I'm really hoping that if the OHL can get going, he joins the London Knights.

10. Jacob Bernard Docker (9)
Certainly not a sexy player, JBD projects as a long time NHL player due to his mobility and hockey sense at both ends. He is having another good season in the NCAA for North Dakota, where he is second in defensive scoring for them and leads them in +/-. Would imagine that he turns pro after this season to sign with the Senators.

11. Jack Rathbone (14)
Perhaps no prospect in my system has risen more in the recent year than Rathbone. Emerging as one of the better defenders in the NCAA last season, Rathbone signed with Vancouver after Harvard announced a hiatus this season. Rathbone has been on the Vancouver Canucks taxi squad so far, having not played a game. Hopefully they either play him or send him to the AHL to get ice time.

12. Cayden Primeau (12)
Entering his second pro season, Primeau will be looking to be more consistent this year. Has been a part of Montreal's taxi squad so far, but was recently sent to the AHL where he will be Laval's starter. The Canadian AHL division is waiting on the Ontario government to greenlight play.

13. Michael Dipietro (17)
Dipietro actually had a better rookie AHL season than Primeau did last year, with the two being neck and neck in terms of "prospect worth." A former OHL star, Dipietro was once an HFNHL first round selection by me (because I was that confident in his ability). Like Rathbone, he's been on Vancouver's taxi squad so far this year, but it would probably be more beneficial if he got sent to the AHL.

14. Martin Fehervary (13)
A smooth skating, stay at home defender, Fehervary has a chance to be a long time NHL defender. He has seen some cups of coffee with the Capitals thus far, but will start this season in the AHL. With a good season, he should make the NHL full time next year.

15. Dmitri Samorukov (20)
Playing in the KHL this year on loan, Samorukov has had a terrific year, emerging as one of the top U21 defenders in Russia. He'll return to North America at the end of the KHL season and hopefully he's able to carry over that confidence and take that next step in the AHL.

16. John Leonard (HM)
An NHL draft selection, but free agent signing by the HFNHL Panthers, Leonard got off to a hot start when he cracked the NHL's Sharks roster out of camp and got time on the first line, getting his first NHL points. But he cooled off and has since been sent to the AHL, where he scored in his first game today. Looks like a great candidate to be a quality middle six forward.

17. Devon Levi (New)
Levi is a player that I hyped considerably last year as part of McKeen's scouting staff, but he ended up being an NHL 7th round selection. Fast forward to this year and he was one of the stars of the World Juniors. He has not yet played for Northeastern due to a fractured rib he suffered (and played through) at the WJC's. I think he's for real.

18. Joey Keane (19)
Keane has really played well in the AHL thus far in his pro career, using his wheels to make an impact at both ends of the ice. At this point, he's just looking for that opportunity to crack the NHL roster. Now he enters his second pro season and one has to wonder how high up the depth chart he is in Carolina, pending injuries to their defense.

19. Yegor Sharangovich (New)
A recent free agent acquisition by the Panthers, Sharangovich has slowly emerged as a quality NHL prospect. He was playing terrific in the KHL this year before leaving for North America, where he cracked the NHL Devil's roster and has been playing well so far with New Jersey. His high end potential remains a bit of a mystery, but I like what I see.

20. Nick Abruzzese (HM)
One of the top freshmen in the NCAA last year, Abruzzese is not playing this year as Harvard sits out the NCAA season. I certainly would have preferred that he sign with the Maple Leafs (NHL) and start his pro career somewhere (like a European loan), but obviously that Harvard degree means a lot to him. Hopefully this does not disrupt his development too much.

Honorable Mentions:
Alex Nedeljkovic
Tristen Robins
Nikita Alexandrov
John Farinacci
Aidan Dudas
Wade Allison
Mike Koster
Max Crozier
Mac Hollowell

Last edited:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Farinacci outside your top 20 speaks to your depth. And Sharangovich was a nice pickup.

Overall what impresses is how you go about accumulating your depth, from savvy late first round selections to reclamation projects and unheralded UDFAs. Clearly you’re paying more attention than most!

Reactions: Brock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad