Updated Florida Panthers Top Prospects Rankings

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
With the 2020 HFNHL Draft and the UDFA Lottery behind us, it's time to look at the prospect rankings for the HFNHL Panthers.

Graduations:
Cale Makar
Riley Stillman
Jake Evans

The List:

1. Trevor Zegras (2)
The franchise leading center that the team has badly needed to develop in recent years (since the Mike Richards era), Zegras will play at the pro level next year. Heading into the 2020/21 NHL season, Zegras has to be considered one of the leading preseason candidates for the calder.

2. Moritz Seider (3)

An absolute beast. Seider had a great first season in the AHL as he emerged as a minute eater as an 18/19 year old. While he is being loaned to the DEL to start the year, the expectation is that he'll be in the NHL next year full time for the Red Wings and hopefully the HFNHL Panthers soon after.

3. Nick Robertson (8)

Few prospects in the NHL have elevated their status the way that Robertson has this year. He had an OHL season for the ages, well over the goal per game mark. He even got into some NHL playoff (or play-in) games with the Leafs. He is tracking towards becoming a quality top six scoring option in the near future.

4. Jordan Kyrou (4)
Another up and down year for Kyrou. Great in the AHL. Average in the NHL. He has yet to truly establish himself as an NHL player. The Blues are a deep team though and it can be tough to break in on such a strong roster, especially in a scoring line role. Hopefully he is close.

5. K'Andre Miller (6)
Another college player that turned pro in the Panthers system. Miller has all the physical tools to become an elite NHL two-way defender. The question is about whether he has the hockey sense to fulfill his potential. If he plays well, he could be on the Rangers blueline at some point next season.

6. Ty Dellandrea (7)

A strong two-way center, Dellandrea had a good year in the OHL and even cracked the Stars' bubble roster. He isn't likely to become a high end scoring option, but he does have a chance to be a Mike Fisher type who could slot in well behind Zegras in the future.

7. Tyler Madden (9)

A college star, Madden has turned pro after being traded in the NHL from Vancouver to Los Angeles. The Kings have a crowded system, so Madden will need to stand out and play well to get his shot. But John Madden's son is a very dynamic player who has high end scoring potential.

8. Scott Perunovich (13)
The 2020 Hobey Baker winner, Perunovich has slowly worked his way up the HFNHL Panthers prospect list. He's always had the offensive chops, but he's greatly improved his defensive game in recent years and looks like a shoe in to be an NHL defender in some capacity.

9. Jacob Bernard Docker (12)
An intelligent two-way defender in the NHL Senators' organization, JBD looks like a potential second pairing defender in the future. For now, he's one of the few high end prospects actually returning to the NCAA next year, given the uncertainty of the pandemic (although we'll see if he changes his mind if college hockey doesn't start up).

10. JJ Peterka (NEW)

The Panthers' first round selection in 2020, Peterka is a German forward who is far from a polished product. Blessed with good physical tools and skating ability, the question is, how much offensive upside does he possess? Interested to see where he goes at the NHL Draft in October.

11. Lukas Reichel (NEW)
Another new selection by the Panthers, Reichel was an early second rounder in the HFNHL, but has a great chance of being an NHL first round pick in October. Another German forward (and nephew of Robert), Lukas is a smart, high energy forward who works best as a complimentary piece for the time being. Like Peterka, his true offensive upside is unknown.

12. Cayden Primeau (5)
His first pro season certainly had its ups and downs. He started off on fire and even earned an NHL cup of coffee. Then he struggled...hard. Then he finished the year well. Hopefully next year he is able to be more consistent and establish himself as one of the better goaltending prospects on the planet (which he is probably on the cusp of anyway). Lord knows, given Matt Murray's recent struggles, the HFNHL Panthers could use some goaltender insurance.

13. Martin Fehervary (11)
While Fehervary isn't flashy, he's certainly effective. Even as a young defender, he established himself as an AHL minute eater and earned some time with the Capitals in his first NA season. Like Bernard-Docker, his potential is probably as a second pairing guy, but he definitely looks like a future NHL defender.

14. Jack Rathbone (HM)
Truly a wildcard at this point. He could end up being one of the best NHL players on this list or he could end up a complete bust. After a remarkable season at Harvard, the strong skating offensive blueliner turns pro and has his eyes on the Canucks' blueline as early as next year. Very curious to track his development.

15. Alex Barre Boulet (16)

Just keeps trucking along as one of the AHL's top offensive players after his first two AHL seasons. The question is, when will he finally get his shot with the big club in Tampa to play with some of their talented top six options? Maybe it's next year as the team will need to jettison some higher contracts to make room to resign Cirelli, Sergachev, and Cernak to new (and likely expensive) deals.

16. Alex Nedeljkovic (14)
It feels like I've been waiting forever for Nedeljkovic to become an NHL netminder. He's won an AHL Championship. Has played well there. Has played well in cups of coffee with the Canes. Yet, he's not an NHL goalie yet. Next year, he's no longer waiver eligible and the Canes have some goalie decisions to make. Have to believe he's at least the team's back-up next year as it would be highly unlikely he passes through waivers.

17. Michael Dipietro (15)
He certainly doesn't have the size that NHL teams seem to be looking in their goalies these days. But it's obvious that the Canucks are high on this former OHL star. He had a very solid rookie AHL season and continues to get shots with the parent team. He'll probably be a longer term play like Nedeljkovic, but one of these guys has to turn into my future HFNHL start right?

18. Aliaksei Protas (19)
One of WHL's leading scorers this year, Protas exploded in his draft +1 year. I've read a few articles stating that he would be a first rounder in a re-draft because of the improvements he's made to his skating and overall play already. The massive forward is a long term project, but he looks like a great draft pick thus far.

19. Joey Keane (20)
An AHL All star in his first pro season, Keane has really put himself on the map as a potential NHL player. His OHL career was up and down, but his skating ability and two-way skill set has really played well at the pro level so far. Really seems like he's putting it together.

20. Dmitri Samorukov (17)

Bit of a tough first pro season for the former OHL star defender. But ice time wasn't readily available to him and that needs to be taken into account. Long term, he's still a solid NHL prospect. Will start the year in the KHL, perhaps playing the entire year there before returning to NA.

Honorable Mentions
Tristen Robins (NEW)
Nick Abruzzese (HM)
John Leonard (NEW)
Nikita Alexandrov (HM)
Trey Fix Wolansky (HM)
Jimmy Schudt (HM)
John Farinacci (HM)
Aidan Dudas (HM)
Nikola Pasic (HM)
Mac Hollowell (HM)
Tyler Tucker (HM)
Wade Allison (HM)

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
When there’s some pretty decent talent buried down in your Honourable Mentions, you know you're doing something right. You continue to earn your scouting rep.

I’m very interested to see K’Andre Miller’s development, in particular - not because the Rags need another stroke of luck, but because if he can learn to process the game at speed I think he can be a very exciting blueliner.

Too many other quality names to mention. While we boo you as the Commissioner, I’d be lying if I said some of those boos weren’t reserved for you as an all-too-savvy GM.

Last edited:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I’m very interested to see K’Andre Miller’s development, in particular - not because the Rags need another stroke of luck, but because if he can learn to process the game at speed I think he can be a very exciting blueliner.

Me too. There's a ton of talent there, just a matter of whether he can harness it. I'm hoping at worst he becomes more of a shutdown defender, using his physical tools to disrupt defensively. Kind of reminds me of Tim Gleason back in the day, who had the same kind of physical tools. But whose head could never catch up to his feet offensively. He then realized his best chance of making it was to become more of a defensively oriented player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad