NESN UPDATE - NESN’s Jack Edwards announces retirement

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Sorry but I'm sad. It's a sad day. Will always love Jack Edwards and I'm gonna miss him. Even a very good replacement will never actually replace him.
THIS^. I was very sad at the game last night. I am sure this is very difficult for Jack. He really loves his Bruins.

It was time.

The Garden fans gave him some love last night and it was nice to see.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

A steady stream of visitors made their way to the NESN broadcast booth on the Garden’s ninth floor early Tuesday evening, media friends and acquaintances of Jack Edwards wishing him well after he announced earlier in the day that he will retire at the end of NESN’s game coverage in the upcoming playoffs.

“It’s time for me to get off the ice,” a smiling, relaxed Edwards told a longtime media friend about an hour prior to puck drop against the Senators. “I’ve tried, but I can’t get the words out when I need them . . . so, time to go before I become the pylon out there.”

In an on-ice pre-game ceremony, Charlie Jacobs, son of owner Jeremy Jacobs, presented Edwards with a gold stick, which the veteran broadcaster hoisted over his head as the Garden crowd applauded.

In a recent Globe story, Edwards detailed his extensive struggles with speech, dating back to last season, a work impediment that he finally decided was too daunting to continue in the play-by-play role he held for 19 years.

“Yeah,” said Edwards, a friend noting how hard he had worked in recent months, “. . . 40 minutes a day of speech therapy, and . . .”

He stopped mid-sentence and recited a tongue-twister that he had worked on, over and over again, in months of speech therapy he hoped would keep him on a job he loved.

“Not fair for me to continue,” he said, noting he no longer could “perform at the standard” he set for himself. “Not fair to the players, the team . . . not fair to ownership, to NESN . . . and, most of all, not fair to the fans.”

He’ll still watch the Bruins, albeit from the couch, and admitted he’ll probably still be in play-by-play mode when he tunes in, perhaps adding words he couldn’t use during his distinctive on-air narrative.

“When I’m watching, my wife has to leave the room . . . she can’t stand it,” he said. “You know, the refs, blown calls.”

The Bruins and NESN will conduct a nationwide search for the next play-by-play voice to join color commentator Andy Brickley for the 2024-25 season.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I wonder if Brick stays on for continuity or if he becomes collateral damage as NESN cleans house altogether for a younger announce team (Goucher & Hnidy come to mind)
Brick is one of the best analysts working, he's a former Bruin, from Melrose. I can't see him going anywhere.

Believe Forslund's a Massachusetts native who grew up a Bruins fan.
He is, and also apparently was a finalist for the job at least once before.

Reactions: HustleB

nonoffensiveusername

May 23, 2009
I was living in Boston from 2005-2010, and for a couple years there never missed a single game. Jack was on a LOT in my apartment. 2008-2010 were amazing years with great calls. I remember the Dallas games, "This building is vibrating," and the several Montreal series so clearly. And then of course they had to win it all the year I moved back to CT, heh.

It's time to move on, but Jack's a legend and should never have to buy a beer in Boston. His play-by-play is now a part of Boston's cultural heritage.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016

A steady stream of visitors made their way to the NESN broadcast booth on the Garden’s ninth floor early Tuesday evening, media friends and acquaintances of Jack Edwards wishing him well after he announced earlier in the day that he will retire at the end of NESN’s game coverage in the upcoming playoffs.

“It’s time for me to get off the ice,” a smiling, relaxed Edwards told a longtime media friend about an hour prior to puck drop against the Senators. “I’ve tried, but I can’t get the words out when I need them . . . so, time to go before I become the pylon out there.”

In an on-ice pre-game ceremony, Charlie Jacobs, son of owner Jeremy Jacobs, presented Edwards with a gold stick, which the veteran broadcaster hoisted over his head as the Garden crowd applauded.

In a recent Globe story, Edwards detailed his extensive struggles with speech, dating back to last season, a work impediment that he finally decided was too daunting to continue in the play-by-play role he held for 19 years.

“Yeah,” said Edwards, a friend noting how hard he had worked in recent months, “. . . 40 minutes a day of speech therapy, and . . .”

He stopped mid-sentence and recited a tongue-twister that he had worked on, over and over again, in months of speech therapy he hoped would keep him on a job he loved.

“Not fair for me to continue,” he said, noting he no longer could “perform at the standard” he set for himself. “Not fair to the players, the team . . . not fair to ownership, to NESN . . . and, most of all, not fair to the fans.”

He’ll still watch the Bruins, albeit from the couch, and admitted he’ll probably still be in play-by-play mode when he tunes in, perhaps adding words he couldn’t use during his distinctive on-air narrative.

“When I’m watching, my wife has to leave the room . . . she can’t stand it,” he said. “You know, the refs, blown calls.”

The Bruins and NESN will conduct a nationwide search for the next play-by-play voice to join color commentator Andy Brickley for the 2024-25 season.
This man worked his butt off to get back to what he once was. Unfortunately, it did not work out. I am very familiar with speech therapy.

Proud of you Jack! Thanks for all the fantastic memories. Let's hope your work ethic rubs off on the locker room for this years playoffs run.

Cheers my friend!

Bleed Black and Gold

Dec 16, 2018
Living in Canada where all announcers make it seem as not hammering the Bruins, or waxing poetic about the leafs, even when not playing, is wasted breath, I live for Jack Edward's called Bruin games!
I am going to really miss his genuinely excited goal calls, his indignation over bad reffing, and above all his many Jackism's! How strange it will be to not hear "can of corn," "tumbling muffin," "chinese mustard," or "the coin that won't get tossed," during a Bruin game.
I would never want a Bruin announcer to call a game square, and Jack never did. He called them as he saw them, unabashedly through the lenses of black and gold coloured glasses!

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Living in Canada where all announcers make it seem as not hammering the Bruins, or waxing poetic about the leafs, even when not playing, is wasted breath, I live for Jack Edward's called Bruin games!
I am going to really miss his genuinely excited goal calls, his indignation over bad reffing, and above all his many Jackism's! How strange it will be to not hear "can of corn," "tumbling muffin," "chinese mustard," or "the coin that won't get tossed," during a Bruin game.
I would never want a Bruin announcer to call a game square, and Jack never did. He called them as he saw them, unabashedly through the lenses of black and gold coloured glasses!
Funny, he said tumbling muffin last night and honest to God I thought to myself, "Wow, that might be the last time I hear that one"

I really hope the Bruins make an effort to have him around. Not on the payroll or anything, just a guest. Sitting and enjoying from level 9.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Brick is one of the best analysts working, he's a former Bruin, from Melrose. I can't see him going anywhere.

He is, and also apparently was a finalist for the job at least once before.

I've always liked Brick but perhaps it's time for him to hang 'em up, too. Times change, and a reset may be in order.

It was a great run, and as a Bruins fan, I loved Jack (most of the time).

Never gave a fig per critics elsewhere.

Funny, he said tumbling muffin last night and honest to God I thought to myself, "Wow, that might be the last time I hear that one"

I really hope the Bruins make an effort to have him around. Not on the payroll or anything, just a guest. Sitting and enjoying from level 9.

He also got in "Serpentine route."

I must say, as with "Layers," I won't miss "Catch and release."

Reactions: DaBroons

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I was living in Boston from 2005-2010, and for a couple years there never missed a single game. Jack was on a LOT in my apartment. 2008-2010 were amazing years with great calls. I remember the Dallas games, "This building is vibrating," and the several Montreal series so clearly. And then of course they had to win it all the year I moved back to CT, heh.

It's time to move on, but Jack's a legend and should never have to buy a beer in Boston. His play-by-play is now a part of Boston's cultural heritage.

Well said.

Reactions: HustleB

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
tell ya what, he annoyed me at times, made me cringe at other times, over the top at times yet.....whenever I was stuck having to listen to a different broadcast team, it made me puke and I longed for the Jack "Big Time Homer" Edwards.

There isn`t a team out there whose broadcast team isn`t or aren`t homers.

He`ll be missed, I really hope he is able to get the help for whatever it is that ails him

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I've always liked Brick but perhaps it's time for him to hang 'em up, too. Times change, and a reset may be in order.

Serpentine route is a good one. So many catch phrases.

I hope he gets 'em all in during the Toronto series and can sign off one last time calling a series win. He deserves it, and then some

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Jack Edwards as a human being I wish nothing but the best for, he seems like a class act who really gets it when not broadcasting. Jack as an announcer was never my style. I grew up with Wilson and Cusick and both would call games as non Homer's. I have never been a fan of the Edwards/Most style.

I hope he is healthy and has a great retirement.

Find a way to get Goucher back here.

Reactions: sarge88

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad