News: Update: Jim Rutherford is about to cook! 1st + Prospect in play (Post #177)

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
As a Whaler/Hurricane fan who’s been around long enough to remember all of JR’s trades….i think it would be a mistake to say any prospect is off limits. You can only hope the gm would have enough sway to saying hell no.

JR as a gm would trade any prospect and/or pick(s) to get a player he thought made a difference. He would also pay the high asking price a month early to make sure he got the guy he wanted.

He also has 3 cups.

You don't want him rebuilding your team, but if you're looking to win now, not many can do it better than Rutherford.

If the Canucks can trade a 1st + Lekk for Guentzal. You do it, just to show EP you're all in. They have a small window and have to capitalize. Canucks and Rutherford is a perfect match for both sides.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He also has 3 cups.

You don't want him rebuilding your team, but if you're looking to win now, not many can do it better than Rutherford.

If the Canucks can trade a 1st + Lekk for Guentzal. You do it, just to show EP you're all in. They have a small window and have to capitalize. Canucks and Rutherford is a perfect match for both sides.
Oh I agree. I just see a lot of people saying this or that prospect would never be in play. JR would absolutely put them in play, so it’s probably good there’s other voices in the room because he isn’t hesitate to overpay. At the same time if you win it all it’s worth it. He’s an awesome GM for making the big move or maybe a solid quick reshuffle.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I just love non Canuck fans talk shit like they are experts about the Vancouver Canucks.

Vancouver Canucks didn't put the Lotto line back until January 6. Even then up until January 6, the canucks were number in their Div. So it wasn't a problem JT Miller and Pettersson were on different lines, except for the powerplay.

Canucks lost 2-1 to the Blues, and Tocchet decided to Lotto line, it AKA Oilers style of stacking one line and letting it rip. Look at them right now. They are 13 win streak.

since then the Canucks have only lost 1 OTL. At any moment, they can split them again like they did when they were still winning games.

Canucks are weak on the right side. After Hronek, we are weak on the RHD, as it seems like Tocchet is rotating the 6th dman.

and of course, if we stack one line, we are suddenly missing another scoring line, and have 3 grinding lines although we do have Di facto 2nd line wingers in Kuzemenko and Garland.

Monhan is the most realistic choice since his cap is manageable at 2 million.

i'm not convinced Buffalo will give up on Mittlesadt this early since he's at prime age and a very good contract.

hard to imagine Calgary and Minnesota dumping players at this point.
Buffalo isn’t unless doors are blown off doors are blown off
Agree with this. Add to the fact that if Mittelstadt was available it would probably be at a price that might not be worth paying for the nucks.
You won’t like what it would cost to get Mittlestadt
Ottawa fans, would Batherson be available? He'd fit perfectly alongside Petey and we have some decent prospects we'd probably be willing to move ala Podkolzin, Lekkerimaki, Brzustewicz with our first. Does the 2025 first hold more value since it's more likely to be a higher pick?

Batherson

For

2024 or 2025 First, Kuzmenko (cap/potential flip), Lekkerimaki, Brzustewicz

Does something like this get the conversation started?
Batheson has too much risk until the assault is closed.
They are not trading Lek

Reactions: oceanchild

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Braden Schenn can fill either the 2nd line center or winger role.

Yeah. If he's available, Schenn would be near the top of my list of targets. Brings a lot of playoff experience, and versatility to let the Canucks swing the lines around whichever way they want.

Can run the "lotto line" and have Schenn center the 2nd line. Or you can split Miller+Boeser off back to another line and have Schenn play wing with either of Pettersson, or complementing Miller-Boeser. Adds some of that desired size and grit too.

Scott Laughton should be on your short list. Can play Center and LW and won't cost you a first plus prospect.

Laughton is another one that would be high on my list of targets. Same deal as Schenn, even if it's as a bit of a "poor man's Schenn" in terms of offensive upside. His contract would be a lot easier to manage. But still brings a ton of that versatility to play up and down the lineup in different roles depending on how they want to run things any given night.

We don’t need Brannstrom as we have a shitton of LD’s.

Tarasenko don’t think is a Tocchet type player.

Though I wonder what the ask would be for Batherson + Chychrun. Everyone except Willander would be available.

I don't think Tarasenko would be too much of a problem under Tocchet. Losing some of his speed, he's not necessarily a fast forechecking type player which isn't ideal, but he's a plenty responsible defensive player. He's played plenty under very defensive-minded coaches before and he can play a heavier game when he's engaged.

Agreed on Brannstrom though. Completely useless.

I'm also not really sure on how good a buy Chychrun would be. He's another LD, and part of the whole problem with him in Ottawa has been that he hasn't looked good at RD. So i'm not sure how good the fit he'd be. Someone's still gotta play RD. Presumably Cole, but he's looked fine there with Zadorov...so where that would bump Zadorov to, i'm not sure really sure. Soucy isn't going anywhere, so one of him or Zadorov would have to play their off side and they've been kind of reluctant with that. So i'm not really sure how you make that work, because you kind of still end up needing Myers in the lineup and Soucy or Zadorov sits, which isn't great.

Batherson is also a guy who i'm not sure would be a real RickToc type player either. He's pretty iffy defensively, and that's putting it fairly kindly. I'm just not sure it's worth what it'd cost to make him available.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Mittelstadt is more of a winger and he's not the kind of player this team needs. We already have two #1 centers in Pettersson and Miller. If we can bring in a top line winger to balance out the lines, it'll be fine as long as everyone stays healthy. I think Guentzel or Buchnevich will be their guy. If the cost is too high then it'll be someone like Tarasenko.
I've been begging people to try and actually update their views and not rely on tired, false narratives on MIttelstadt. It's not 2019 anymore.

He's not a winger. He's played entirely at center this season. He's become a very good-two way center over the past couple seasons. Most BUF fans would say he's been their best overall forward.

The Canucks need another high-end forward. A legit 2C would allow them to keep the Lotto Line intact.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
I would love to get mittelstadt I just don't see buffalo doing this they need to add not retool they are a few pieces away from being a quality team, especially if they can get a goalie like Saros and a top 4 RHD and a 3C 2/3 should be doable in the offseason.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Canucks seem to have some weak spots in their forward group. 2nd line has been absent for many games now. I think Mikheyev has not been productive similar to Kuzmenko and would easily be non factors in playoffs. Canucks are best served to add Guentzel and maybe move Kuzmenko to create the needed cap. The lotto line is good but I think they need to move Pettersson down and have 2 Duos.

Hoglander-Miller- Boeser
Guentzel-Pettersson-Mikheyev
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Lafferty-Soucy-Aman

Bring Hoglander up since he should get more ice time and is relentless in puck pursuit. Guentzel will be better than Boeser and will help Pettersson while having ability to do great as a 2nd line playmaker as well. 3rd line should not be touched. 4th line would see an upgrade in having a better center creating more center depth. Unless Canucks add another center like Lindholm while keeping lotto line intact.
Why is Soucy playing 4C

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
It's a capped out roster performing better than expected. Any trade they make would require substituting a player out which can comprise other positions.

Ian Cole looks a little redundant and expensive as a #6-7.. His money is better used for forward help.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Yeah. If he's available, Schenn would be near the top of my list of targets. Brings a lot of playoff experience, and versatility to let the Canucks swing the lines around whichever way they want.

Can run the "lotto line" and have Schenn center the 2nd line. Or you can split Miller+Boeser off back to another line and have Schenn play wing with either of Pettersson, or complementing Miller-Boeser. Adds some of that desired size and grit too.

Laughton is another one that would be high on my list of targets. Same deal as Schenn, even if it's as a bit of a "poor man's Schenn" in terms of offensive upside. His contract would be a lot easier to manage. But still brings a ton of that versatility to play up and down the lineup in different roles depending on how they want to run things any given night.

I don't think Tarasenko would be too much of a problem under Tocchet. Losing some of his speed, he's not necessarily a fast forechecking type player which isn't ideal, but he's a plenty responsible defensive player. He's played plenty under very defensive-minded coaches before and he can play a heavier game when he's engaged.

Agreed on Brannstrom though. Completely useless.

I'm also not really sure on how good a buy Chychrun would be. He's another LD, and part of the whole problem with him in Ottawa has been that he hasn't looked good at RD. So i'm not sure how good the fit he'd be. Someone's still gotta play RD. Presumably Cole, but he's looked fine there with Zadorov...so where that would bump Zadorov to, i'm not sure really sure. Soucy isn't going anywhere, so one of him or Zadorov would have to play their off side and they've been kind of reluctant with that. So i'm not really sure how you make that work, because you kind of still end up needing Myers in the lineup and Soucy or Zadorov sits, which isn't great.

Batherson is also a guy who i'm not sure would be a real RickToc type player either. He's pretty iffy defensively, and that's putting it fairly kindly. I'm just not sure it's worth what it'd cost to make him available.
What would you offer for Schenn? I would assume it would have to be a decent offer to get Armstrong to move him after making him captain, but I would t expect it to need to be anything over the top. The Blues could take salary back and are looking to rebuild the blueline for the future.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I doubt we get any of those guys, But all would be massive upgrades
I actually think the odds are really good we land Lindholm for the following reasons.

He's 100% not re-signing in Calgary and they are not a contender letting him walk will not happen

Rumours say Boston, the Avs are also looking for a 2c but we should easily be able to top any offer they make.
JR is known for being a gunslinger and Alvin is getting that rep as well and the teams have already made a deal together.
2c is an obvious weakness and getting him keeps the lotto line together which gets the most out of EP and he's happy to see his aav continue to climb because of it.
He banked on himself and it's gonna payoff big time

Reactions: David71 and Play

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
It's a capped out roster performing better than expected. Any trade they make would require substituting a player out which can comprise other positions.

Ian Cole looks a little redundant and expensive as a #6-7.. His money is better used for forward help.
Gotta disagree. We finally have 7 NHL dmen, you don't trade that before the playoffs.
With double retention Lindholm would only cost around 1.2 million.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

In the new 32 Thoughts podcast Friedman says that other teams have told him the Canucks have a list of 4 or 5 top 6 forwards they're looking to trade for, including Lindholm and Guentzel. He also says that versatility is their main goal, but that also Willander and Lekkerimaki are probably not in play unless it's for a player with term.

He also says that the Canucks are confident they can re-sign who they want to at reasonable rates because everyone is extremely happy in Vancouver so trading for players with term isn't out of the question.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Soucy gone 5 weeks, damn

Looks like we’re looking for a defenceman also now

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I just love non Canuck fans talk shit like they are experts about the Vancouver Canucks.

Vancouver Canucks didn't put the Lotto line back until January 6. Even then up until January 6, the canucks were number in their Div. So it wasn't a problem JT Miller and Pettersson were on different lines, except for the powerplay.

Canucks lost 2-1 to the Blues, and Tocchet decided to Lotto line, it AKA Oilers style of stacking one line and letting it rip. Look at them right now. They are 13 win streak.

since then the Canucks have only lost 1 OTL. At any moment, they can split them again like they did when they were still winning games.

Canucks are weak on the right side. After Hronek, we are weak on the RHD, as it seems like Tocchet is rotating the 6th dman.

and of course, if we stack one line, we are suddenly missing another scoring line, and have 3 grinding lines although we do have Di facto 2nd line wingers in Kuzemenko and Garland.

Monhan is the most realistic choice since his cap is manageable at 2 million.

i'm not convinced Buffalo will give up on Mittlesadt this early since he's at prime age and a very good contract.

hard to imagine Calgary and Minnesota dumping players at this point.
To be fair, non-fans of most teams who weigh in on trades seem to like to tell fans of the team being discussed what their team needs to do and why they should do what the non-fan poster thinks. My guess is Toronto fans have it the worst in that respect. My favorite posts are the ones where fans of a struggling team about to sell off a player insist that the rumored acquiring team needs to give up a good young cost controlled player with years left before he hits UFA and a top prospect. You see that over and over again. Obviously Vancouver fans know more about their team than fans who don't root for the team and who do not follow them regularly. Sure, fans of opposing teams can offer some basic and obvious stuff but inevitably they go too far. Vancouver got its act together just in time to extend Pettersson long term. As long as they get that done, the rest of the season is gravy. If Vancouver wants to trade a first and a prospect for a player that can help to reward the team and the fans, it's a good season to do that. A 2C sounds like it makes sense based on the chatter from Vancouver fans.

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
I think Willander's a lock to remain a Canuck past the deadline just because he's going to be "the guy" at BC next year when Hutson leaves. Lekkerimaki, though, I'm less certain of just because he's a perfect sell high candidate and I'm not convinced he'll play the Tocchet style given his frame. Reports are we won't trade these guys for rentals, but that leaves the door open to players with term or sign-and-trades.

A basis of a 1st, Lekk and Cap for Tanev, Lindholm is a really strong start that many other teams would struggle to match.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad