Upcoming Expansion Draft loophole

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Vegas being exempt from the upcoming Seattle XD presents a loophole in the process. Vegas could provide a "service" to the other teams where they "trade" for a player that another team can't protect but wishes to. They trade for that player in the summer while having an understanding with the other team and then trade that player right back to the original team once the XD is done and in the process the other team gives them a 2nd round pick or something for their trouble.

They can do this with many teams esp for players with cheap contracts considering they can exceed the cap by 10% in the summer.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
It doesn't have to be clearly disallowed in the rulebook for the league to go "uh huh guys, nice try, we're not allowing that". They'd veto anything this blatant.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Pretty sure there was an explicit rule last time that prohibited this type of transaction. Players traded within a certain timeframe couldn't be traded back to the original team for a set amount of time. Keep in mind that although no team was exempt from the overall process, a team could have had an "open slot" that didn't need protection. E.g., because Slavin, Pesce, and Hanifin were all exempt, I believe the Canes could have "protected" a different teams d-man for a price if the rule had not been in place.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
"will you please hold onto my player for just a few days Mr. McPhee?"

lcxyE0D.gif

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
The league has rules in place to prevent this now and before the Vegas draft...If you trade a player to another team and then that team trades him back to you during that same season or calender year...the player can come back to you but he is ineligible to play the rest of that season

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I was going to say “Bettman would make sure there would be hell to pay”, but then I remembered that it’s Vegas we’re talking about here.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
While this won't happen, they will certainly be a potential landing spot for guys teams know they won't be able to protect. At least you'd get something back for them. This is what the league didn't prepare for. Wouldn't be surprised to see them clean up, esp on D men(which they can then flip back to other teams after the exp draft).

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
While this won't happen, they will certainly be a potential landing spot for guys teams know they won't be able to protect. At least you'd get something back for them. This is what the league didn't prepare for. Wouldn't be surprised to see them clean up, esp on D men(which they can then flip back to other teams after the exp draft).

This. They'll probably pick up 1-2 dmen and 1 forward, maybe flip one of them.

Most of the teams will probably just negotiate directly with Seattle though. It would be real interesting if Seattle ends up hiring McCrimmon.

Last edited:

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
The loophole that will get the conspiracy theorists enraged some more, IS
Being able to trade for players that teams do not have room to protect and are at risk of losing for nothing.

Making deals for picks or players that do t need protecting and even with Seattle to grab (or not grab) players could be another mini bonanza to stockpile players for Vegas

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
This. They'll probably pick up 1-2 dmen and 1 forward, maybe flip one of them.

Most of the teams will probably just negotiate directly with Seattle though. It would be real interesting if Seattle ends up hiring McCrimmon.
I think it gives the advantage to LV though. The team can say, "well I'll just ship him to Vegas if you don't like this offer, and you'll get to pick a plug from our list instead".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad