2011 Stanley Cup Upcoming ESPN 30 For 30 Documentary About Vancouver Riots

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
A couple of things I remember vividly:

- a buddy who is a casual Bruins fan called with about 5 minutes left in the 3rd period of Game 7 to congratulate me and I told him to f off and not jinx it.
Once the CBC ended their coverage I called him back and he suggested going downtown just to see what was happening. I did think about it but finally decided just to stay home and watch TSN and Sportsnet at 11 pm for the post game interviews. It was about 20 minutes later that another friend called me and let me know that downtown Vancouver had become a warzone. :amazed:

- at the time I was bartending at a place called The Ice Bar in Vancouver ( Kingsway and 12th ) and there was a regular there that was an OK guy but was tight as hell with his money and was always asking for free beers. My bartending motto was that I never gave anything to customers that would ask for free stuff but if you were polite and a half decent tipper I would occasionally give you a drink on the house. Anyway - this guy wore the same well worn army jacket every day of the year regardless of how cold or hot it was. So a few days later he came in wearing this brand new Roots jacket - it was a letterman style jacket with patches of the Original 6 NHL teams on the arms. It was a very nice looking jacket and cost about $450. It used to be on display in the window of their man Vancouver store on Robson Street and that store was one of the stores that was heavily looted that night so I knew damn well where that jacket came from. So of course I asked him when he got it and how much it cost and he told me some BS story about how his GF bought it for him as a birthday gift and he had no idea how much it was. I knew he was full of sh*t and I'm pretty sure that he knew that I knew he was full of sh*t. :laugh:

Maybe cell phone pictures were not of great quality back then ????
Wow, great stories. Interesting about the jacket.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad