2011 Stanley Cup Upcoming ESPN 30 For 30 Documentary About Vancouver Riots

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Well hell - this should be really interesting to watch so hopefully TSN airs it ASAP.

from vancouvercitynews.ca:

The 2011 Vancouver Stanley Cup riot that brought chaos to the city will be the feature of an ESPN 30 for 30 documentary.

The sports outlet says production on the feature, titled I’m Just Here for the Riot, has wrapped up, though it’s still unclear when exactly it’ll be released.

“Taking a subject like Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals and the ensuing riot – and using that event to tell an even bigger story about society – is what makes 30 for 30 so special,” said Marsha Cooke, vice president and executive producer, ESPN Films and 30 for 30.

Vancouver-Stanley-Cup-Riot-2011-5-1536x864.jpg

Fires were set in downtown Vancouver amid the Stanley Cup riot in 2011 after the Canucks lost Game 7 of the Final to the Boston Bruins. (CityNews)

“The filmmakers had a clear POV: they wanted to explain not just what happened, but why. Why do we get so caught up in the emotions of winning and losing? Why do normal people sometimes run amok and do things they regret? And in a world dominated by cell phones and social media, why do we feel compelled to capture everything, no matter how destructive it might be? It is a story about regret and shame, but profoundly, it’s also about how you rebuild, forgive, and try to find something meaningful in the aftermath.”

The infamous riot broke out on June 15, 2011, after the Vancouver Canucks lost the last game of the Stanley Cup Finals to the Boston Bruins. The loss sparked mayhem through the downtown core, with tens of thousands of people flooding into the streets, smashing windows, overturning and burning police cars, looting stores, shattering windows, destroying storefronts and other infrastructure, and even turning to violence against each other.

“It was just so upsetting to layer this on to what was happening within your own building,” TC Carling, who was the Canucks vice-president of communications and community partnerships at the time, said of the events that played out. “We’ve got the most devastating loss in all of these athletes’ careers. And then to see what was happening outside was even more disappointing.”

ESPN says the events were chronicled in hundreds of cell phone videos, adding rioters were “outed, shamed, and their lives altered forever.”

Vancouver-Stanley-Cup-Riot-2011-6.jpg

“From the mob mentality in the streets to similar vengeance in the online hunting of those responsible, it was a dark moment in the city’s history – one that raised deeper questions about fandom, violence, and the shocking power of an angry crowd,” the company explained.

Images from the riot and its aftermath still haunt the city more than a decade later. The damage cost almost $9 million.

In the end, at least 140 people were hurt, while more than 100 arrests were made. Many of them would be taken to court over the five years after the events played out.

The 2011 riot happened almost exactly 17 years after the 1994 Stanley Cup Riot, which broke out after the Canucks lost to the New York Rangers.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Well hell - this should be really interesting to watch so hopefully TSN airs it ASAP.

The 2011 Vancouver Stanley Cup riot that brought chaos to the city will be the feature of an ESPN 30 for 30 documentary.

The sports outlet says production on the feature, titled I’m Just Here for the Riot, has wrapped up, though it’s still unclear when exactly it’ll be released.

“Taking a subject like Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals and the ensuing riot – and using that event to tell an even bigger story about society – is what makes 30 for 30 so special,” said Marsha Cooke, vice president and executive producer, ESPN Films and 30 for 30.

Fires were set in downtown Vancouver amid the Stanley Cup riot in 2011 after the Canucks lost Game 7 of the Final to the Boston Bruins. (CityNews)

“The filmmakers had a clear POV: they wanted to explain not just what happened, but why. Why do we get so caught up in the emotions of winning and losing? Why do normal people sometimes run amok and do things they regret? And in a world dominated by cell phones and social media, why do we feel compelled to capture everything, no matter how destructive it might be? It is a story about regret and shame, but profoundly, it’s also about how you rebuild, forgive, and try to find something meaningful in the aftermath.”

The infamous riot broke out on June 15, 2011, after the Vancouver Canucks lost the last game of the Stanley Cup Finals to the Boston Bruins. The loss sparked mayhem through the downtown core, with tens of thousands of people flooding into the streets, smashing windows, overturning and burning police cars, looting stores, shattering windows, destroying storefronts and other infrastructure, and even turning to violence against each other.

“It was just so upsetting to layer this on to what was happening within your own building,” TC Carling, who was the Canucks vice-president of communications and community partnerships at the time, said of the events that played out. “We’ve got the most devastating loss in all of these athletes’ careers. And then to see what was happening outside was even more disappointing.”

ESPN says the events were chronicled in hundreds of cell phone videos, adding rioters were “outed, shamed, and their lives altered forever.”

“From the mob mentality in the streets to similar vengeance in the online hunting of those responsible, it was a dark moment in the city’s history – one that raised deeper questions about fandom, violence, and the shocking power of an angry crowd,” the company explained.

Images from the riot and its aftermath still haunt the city more than a decade later. The damage cost almost $9 million.

In the end, at least 140 people were hurt, while more than 100 arrests were made. Many of them would be taken to court over the five years after the events played out.

The 2011 riot happened almost exactly 17 years after the 1994 Stanley Cup Riot, which broke out after the Canucks lost to the New York Rangers.

@BostonBob

A few of us were interviewed by ESPN at TD Garden a few months ago.

Wrapping up we were leaving Rogers Arena at 9 PM oblivious to what was occurring.

A Vancouver police officer could see we were media but several of us has snagged Bruins championship hats and he barked - lose those hats NOW. Then he asked where our hotel was and we said near the Seattle Airport and he yelled DRIVE THERE NOW!

He asked if we had GPS and we said yes and told us to follow the signs to Cambie Bridge/Olympic Village and once over that bridge, we would get directions to the 99.

We got to Seattle just before Midnight and only then did we find out what was going on as all the TVs were on CNN with the graphic VANCOUVER HOCKEY RIOT.

• Wow
Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

Those pictures are from 2011. Why do they look like they are from 2001?

Reactions: Gordoff

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
A couple of things I remember vividly:

- a buddy who is a casual Bruins fan called with about 5 minutes left in the 3rd period of Game 7 to congratulate me and I told him to f off and not jinx it.
Once the CBC ended their coverage I called him back and he suggested going downtown just to see what was happening. I did think about it but finally decided just to stay home and watch TSN and Sportsnet at 11 pm for the post game interviews. It was about 20 minutes later that another friend called me and let me know that downtown Vancouver had become a warzone. :amazed:

- at the time I was bartending at a place called The Ice Bar in Vancouver ( Kingsway and 12th ) and there was a regular there that was an OK guy but was tight as hell with his money and was always asking for free beers. My bartending motto was that I never gave anything to customers that would ask for free stuff but if you were polite and a half decent tipper I would occasionally give you a drink on the house. Anyway - this guy wore the same well worn army jacket every day of the year regardless of how cold or hot it was. So a few days later he came in wearing this brand new Roots jacket - it was a letterman style jacket with patches of the Original 6 NHL teams on the arms. It was a very nice looking jacket and cost about $450. It used to be on display in the window of their man Vancouver store on Robson Street and that store was one of the stores that was heavily looted that night so I knew damn well where that jacket came from. So of course I asked him when he got it and how much it cost and he told me some BS story about how his GF bought it for him as a birthday gift and he had no idea how much it was. I knew he was full of sh*t and I'm pretty sure that he knew that I knew he was full of sh*t. :laugh:

Those pictures are from 2011. Why do they look like they are from 2001?
Maybe cell phone pictures were not of great quality back then ????

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Maybe cell phone pictures were not of great quality back then ????

Generally speaking they weren't and I know that. That said...they weren't god awful terrible. Less and less people had flip phones and I remember the quality of pictures and video on phones were getting much better around this time period.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think the 3 things I’m most proud of from that era of bruins hockey

1) Causing Vancouver to implode because f*** that particular version of that team and that fan base that year

2) causing Montreal to call 911 en masse after Chara took their guy out and then dummying that team

3) watching maple leaf square all puke in that game 7 comeback

What a time to be alive it was

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
By the way Fenway - if they end up using the clip with you being interviewed will you be identified by your real name or by Fenway ????
He'll be the guy with his face concealed and voice altered. ;)

Kidding aside, the crowds in Vancouver this year are awesome. Hoping for the good fans in Vancouver that there isn't a repeat of 2011, or 1994 for that matter.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I was at this game. Vancouver fans in the arena were super nice and cool after and a ton of us commandeered some hotel bar and watched the rioters walk past and then stop to flip us off when they saw it was all Bruins fans behind the glass. Crazy to walk out of the arena and it was still light out with cars burning lol.

I’ll root for them to win it all if we go out.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I was at this game. Vancouver fans in the arena were super nice and cool after and a ton of us commandeered some hotel bar and watched the rioters walk past and then stop to flip us off when they saw it was all Bruins fans behind the glass. Crazy to walk out of the arena and it was still light out with cars burning lol.

Wait stop.

You will root for the VANCOUVER CANUCKS to win the Stanley Cup if and when the Bruins are eliminated? Did I read that right?

From my perspective, I could never, ever do such a thing.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Wait stop.

You will root for the VANCOUVER CANUCKS to win the Stanley Cup if and when the Bruins are eliminated? Did I read that right?

I gotta say…..I wouldn’t root for the 2011-2016ish Canucks….

But if it were this years version vs. Florida, Carolina or NYR, I would definitely root for them.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World

I just threw up in my mouth….

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
@BostonBob

A few of us were interviewed by ESPN at TD Garden a few months ago.

Wrapping up we were leaving Rogers Arena at 9 PM oblivious to what was occurring.

A Vancouver police officer could see we were media but several of us has snagged Bruins championship hats and he barked - lose those hats NOW. Then he asked where our hotel was and we said near the Seattle Airport and he yelled DRIVE THERE NOW!

He asked if we had GPS and we said yes and told us to follow the signs to Cambie Bridge/Olympic Village and once over that bridge, we would get directions to the 99.

We got to Seattle just before Midnight and only then did we find out what was going on as all the TVs were on CNN with the graphic VANCOUVER HOCKEY RIOT.
Wow. That was really fortunate. Your night could have turned out pretty dicey indeed!!!! That place lost its’ collective mind that night.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I gotta say…..I wouldn’t root for the 2011-2016ish Canucks….

But if it were this years version vs. Florida, Carolina or NYR, I would definitely root for them.

Yeah not for me.

I have an unhealthy, perpetual obsession with watching the Canucks lose and their fans suffer. It’s on par with the Habs and their fans.

I’d root for any of the three teams you listed over Vancouver all day, every day.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Wait stop.

Yes. I like teams that my teams have beat when it matters and loathe those who have beat us. Very happy memories in that city and arena follow up ski trips have been great.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I reminded my nephew this was/is coming. He has never been a hockey fan but like far too many on that fateful day, he got caught up in the insanity, caused damage and got nabbed and charged by the police.

He paid a price, at that time, he was soon to be applying to try and become a firefighter, with a record, he could no longer do that.

Too bad but he`s moved on, paid his price (Financially in this case) and is now an electrician doing very well

SPB2776

Jun 4, 2009
I know we all marvel at what happened in Vancouver in 2011, but let's not forget the insanity we had in 2004.

My buddy and I went to the Cask 'n' Flagon to watch Game 7 against the Yankees in 2003. I was in my 20s, thought nothing of it. Could have heard a pin drop in there when Boone connected on that knuckleball.

Fast forward a year, I watched the insanity outside Fenway when they beat them from home thinking to myself, "Damn, what might have happened last year. Yikes."

Still something that makes me stop and think 20 years later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad