Up or down Draft moves?

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
It's a week till the draft. Montreal picks #26th, then not again until late in the 3rd round, #87. Curious what people think MB will do.

Last edited:

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
It's a week till the draft. Montreal picks #27th, then not again until late in the 3rd round, #87. Curious what people think MB will do.

Depends on who are guy is. I don't think the Habs move up into the top 10. If the player we want is on the board at 23-26 I think we move up to get him if we feel there's a chance he's going to be gone. If not, I think the pick stays put, or we may even move down if we're targeting a guy projected in round 2.

I'm a bit foggy when it comes to prospects outside the QMJHL. Ivan Barbashev should be available around the mid-20 picks. He'd be a nice get. I think this board would freak out if we took his buddy Tkachev in a later round tho :P

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I hope we drop and have 2 2nd's. But I will predict that we around 20th.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Marde. My OCD requires me to redo this entirely now. :(

Mods delete/close/merge thread please
I just edited it. No worries.

I think the odds generally have to favour status quo. I'd be amenable to moving up if it didn't cost much, but we don't have a 2nd and that's the standard currency. I'd be amenable to moving down, depending on how far and who's on the board. It's one of those topics that really doesn't grab my interest until draft day, basically, you have to see how things are evolving on the draft floor.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Status quo or move down

Just don't see the point giving up some of the depth we have for a 50/50 chance of getting a guy that can help us in a few years and prefer to keep Beaulieu and Tinordi now that they ready to make the team than re-start the counter with another D-man so the only other thing we have to offer is probably our 2015 1st rounder that depending on how free agency goes could be worth a lot

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
To me, you have to trust Timmins in a situation like this...plus it depends on what the offers are. If TT tells you that 21-45 is about the same and you can add a 2nd rounder or early 3rd by dropping 8-12 spots then you explore that.

From what I heard from scouts, there is a drop off around mid 1st, the last 15 picks(16-30) will be weaker than last year. So in order to move up it might have to be around 8-10 picks to get a guy that's really worth it...usually when a team moves up it's 3-5 picks.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The cost to move within the 8-10 range where most say the values are this year, is probably going to be too prohibitive.

I can see Bergevin dealing the first rounder away for a warm body and a later pick, or sell off his first rounder by attaching an undesirable player in order to shed salary and receive a package involving a later selection.

If none of the above were to work, best option would be to flip for a first rounder next year.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
depends on who's available and how much we pay to move up, if barbashev/sherbak/kempe are available around #20 then i'd definitely move up for either of them

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
*then --> than* wow I should never write first thing after a night of boozing.

I think/hope we'll move down, some team out there will be excited that the guy they want is available at #26 we could pick up 2nds and/or a roster player in this way.

Should be an interesting draft despite our dearth of picks.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I don't see us moving up so Status quo or moving down which I wouldn't be opposed to since the second half of the 1st round looks to be a toss up.

Lions999

Jun 28, 2011
If they can move up to the top 8 go for it but if they can't trade our first to a team that has 2 seconds.

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
I think they'll stay at #26 and pick the BPA. We don't have a 2nd (unless we're trading next years) which is the norm to move up at the draft. And with the level of players from late first to seconds I don't know if other teams will want to deal two to take our pick. Depending on who's available of course, I wouldn't mind the two 2nds instead :)

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Did u guys see Bergevin get turned down by CLB at the draft? Took em like 5s to dump him lmao.

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=722857

+

http://oilersnation.com/2014/6/18/what-is-the-value-of-a-draft-pick

article_a5780686-2e87-4a15-a6a4-7ba4199ed064.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: