Untouchables

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
50 points is 2nd line scoring. You think Couturier will never get that high after getting 39 as a 21 year old with limited PP time?

People who think he'll never be more than a 3rd line shut down forward can never be reasoned with

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Giroux, Couts, Simmonds are the only ones for me. I think they're top tier in the league for what they bring to the table. Everyone else I'd consider moving if the price was right.

Haute Couturier

Feb 28, 2007
Philadelphia
I rank B Schenn above Coots. Coots will never have second line scoring ability, and good shut down centers aren't that hard to find.

Uh Couturier only had 2 less points than Schenn in 5 fewer games played. Couturier was also utilized in a defensive role against players like Crosby and Tavares and didn't receive much PP time. I like them both, but Couturier's point production was impressive considering he was used in a role that makes it more difficult to score.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
as much as i like coots i am having a hard time seeing him become a big offensive threat, and that is ok. What he is right now is a very effective player, a player that will win us games. However the more focus he has on offense means the less of a role he will have on defense and i don't think the flyers can afford him to do that. He needs to play the hard minutes, let giroux and schenn benefit from his sacrifice there is nothing wrong with that.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Giroux, Couturier, Simmonds, and Voracek.

We shouldn't even consider trading our high end prospects (D-men) unless a #1 defenseman was coming back.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
as much as i like coots i am having a hard time seeing him become a big offensive threat, and that is ok. What he is right now is a very effective player, a player that will win us games. However the more focus he has on offense means the less of a role he will have on defense and i don't think the flyers can afford him to do that. He needs to play the hard minutes, let giroux and schenn benefit from his sacrifice there is nothing wrong with that.

I agree he will probably never be a primary producer, but as it stands, his minutes are still too suffocating. He has done a wonderful job with those tough minutes and matchups, but some support would be very much welcome. If we had an adequate 4C (or fourth line), he'd be that much more effective in his role.

He's never going to not be matched up with top lines, but as it stands, he is also depended on for most of our D zone draws whether it's the opponents top line or not. If we can shave off those extraneous D zone responsibilities to Laughton (or a UFA like Goc), then Couturier will have that much more ability to make an offensive impact (ie, he would become a solid secondary offensive contributor that's good for 50ish points).

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I agree he will probably never be a primary producer, but as it stands, his minutes are still too suffocating. He has done a wonderful job with those tough minutes and matchups, but some support would be very much welcome. If we had an adequate 4C (or fourth line), he'd be that much more effective in his role.

He's never going to not be matched up with top lines, but as it stands, he is also depended on for most of our D zone draws whether it's the opponents top line or not. If we can shave off those extraneous D zone responsibilities to Laughton (or a UFA like Goc), then Couturier will have that much more ability to make an offensive impact (ie, he would become a solid secondary offensive contributor that's good for 50ish points).
What makes you think he'll score more when he's matching up against opponents' shutdown lines? I'm not saying he can't produce at a higher clip, but I do think there's too many excuses flying around right now as to why he didn't put up more points. It might also be the other way around. It's not because he's given the defensive zone responsibilities that he doesn't score as much, it's because in practice and in games he hasn't shown he has the offensive abilities that would put have him in a more offensive role. His minutes don't seem suffocating to me, either.

I do like his role, though, and am perfectly happy having him play it for the rest of his career. He's good at what he does and I'm not expecting him to turn into an offensive juggernaut. But, again, that's fine with me. If he does, however, all the better.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
What makes you think he'll score more when he's matching up against opponents' shutdown lines? I'm not saying he can't produce at a higher clip, but I do think there's too many excuses flying around right now as to why he didn't put up more points. It might also be the other way around. It's not because he's given the defensive zone responsibilities that he doesn't score as much, it's because in practice and in games he hasn't shown he has the offensive abilities that would put have him in a more offensive role. His minutes don't seem suffocating to me, either.

I do like his role, though, and am perfectly happy having him play it for the rest of his career. He's good at what he does and I'm not expecting him to turn into an offensive juggernaut. But, again, that's fine with me. If he does, however, all the better.
Why is he going to be matched up against opponents' shutdown lines?

He played against the NHL's best forwards on a nightly basis with heavy D zone starts. That supresses offensive totals. It's an excuse, but a damn good one. It's a fact that his point totals would rise with easier minutes. The extent to which they would rise is TBD, but I can tell you with fewer D zone starts, Couturier would have better production.

Probably not incredible production, but if he can put up about .5 PPG with the minutes he has, he can put up 45-50 if he had just ONE other center on the roster who could pick up some of the D zone responsibilities.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Giroux will always be the one facing the opponents shutdown lines for the majority of the game. The point is it's hardest to score when either against the other teams top line, because you're preoccupied with stopping them from scoring, or when you're against the opponents shutdown line. If we could get another player, like Laughton, to take over some of the time against the other teams top line then it'd give Couturier more of a chance to play against the opponents other 2 lines.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Giroux will always be the one facing the opponents shutdown lines for the majority of the game. The point is it's hardest to score when either against the other teams top line, because you're preoccupied with stopping them from scoring, or when you're against the opponents shutdown line. If we could get another player, like Laughton, to take over some of the time against the other teams top line then it'd give Couturier more of a chance to play against the opponents other 2 lines.

I wouldn't even advocate taking some of the top line match ups from Couturier. He's too good a presence to give that responsibility to someone else. It's the D-zone starts that need to be cut and handed to Laughton (or someone else), imo.

For example, Jonathan Toews plays exclusively against the opponents' best players...but he isn't tasked with overwhelming amounts of D-zone starts. I'd advocate something similar with Couturier.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't even advocate taking some of the top line match ups from Couturier. He's too good a presence to give that responsibility to someone else. It's the D-zone starts that need to be cut and handed to Laughton (or someone else), imo.

For example, Jonathan Toews plays exclusively against the opponents' best players...but he isn't tasked with overwhelming amounts of D-zone starts. I'd advocate something similar with Couturier.

Yeah, and I think it'll also help when our D starts to improve. If he had some more help in the D zone with moving the puck out then I certainly think he'd start scoring more.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Remember when yous all made that list 3 years ago and how many are still here and won Stanley Cups. Everyone has a price

A lot of this team is still young, it's not like we've missed the window. With the D corps to come in, we've got a large opportunity to win in 3/4 years time.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I believe everyone has a price, and no one is untouchable, that being said if this team was to trade one of Giroux or Coots, there has to be a sick return that wow's everyone, but I'll play along
Untouchable:
Roo, Coots, all the D prospects
2nd teir:
Voracek, Simmer and Read

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad