Unstoppable's 7 Round Mock Draft: *DRAFT THREAD* - Post Analysis

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Seems like Cup is not available .... I'll load up the proxies from Ryan Madden (NJD)

With the 203rd overall selection in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, The New Jersey Devils are pleased to select from the OHL's Barrie Colts, Goaltender Mike Hutchinson.

With the 204th overall selection in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, The New Jersey Devils are pleased to select from HIFK Helsinki in the Finnish League SM-Liiga, Right Winger Eetu Poysti.

:devils

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
Seems like Cup is not available .... I'll load up the proxies from Ryan Madden (NJD)

With the 203rd overall selection in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, The New Jersey Devils are pleased to select from the OHL's Barrie Colts, Goaltender Mike Hutchinson.

With the 204th overall selection in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, The New Jersey Devils are pleased to select from HIFK Helsinki in the Finnish League SM-Liiga, Right Winger Eetu Poysti.

:devils

Nice pick with hutchinson, had a good year and a great start tothe playoffs and lead his 7 seed team over the 2 seed in 5 games

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
With the 205th overall selection, Detroit Red Wings select from the QMJHL's Shawnigan Cataractes, Left Wing David Labrecque.

:wings

DaveG has been PM'ed

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
With the 205th overall selection, Detroit Red Wings select from the QMJHL's Shawnigan Cataractes, Left Wing David Labrecque.

:wings

DaveG has been PM'ed

Sorry all, was in Detroit on Sunday and had a family emergency today.

Unstoppable, can I change this pick to Hill Murray Pioneers goalie Joe Phillippi?

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
With the second-last pick of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, the Dallas Stars select from Severstal-2 Cherepovets of the Russian 2nd League, a future star...

Maxim Trunev, LW

173.jpg

Born: 09/7/1990
Height/Weight: 5'10, 174 lbs
2007-08 Team: Severstal-2 Cherepovets (Rus-2)
2007-08 Stats: 20 GP, 13-20-33, 36 PIM
CSB Ranking: 91

If Trunev were born 8 days later, he'd be in the '09 Draft and would probably be talked about as a first rounder. As it is, the 5'10, 174 lbs forward posted an impressive season with Severstal's farm club, leading them in goals (13) and assists (20). Cherepovets was so bad that only one other player cracked 20 points- Trunev's linemate.

Trunev has been to North America twice- both times for the Mac's Midget AAA Tournament held here in Alberta. He was a big hit, electrifying the crowd with his speed and hands. The biggest knock on him last year was his propensity to hog the puck, but as you can see by his assist totals, he's started to use his talents to their full capacity.

He's a fan favorite in Severstal, and some call him mini-Datsyuk. It's an apt comparison, and Trunev will be a special player if he adds some muscle.

Louis Houde

Jan 28, 2006
Trois-rivières
With the second-last pick of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, the Dallas Stars select from Severstal-2 Cherepovets of the Russian 2nd League, a future star...

Maxim Trunev, LW

173.jpg

If Trunev were born 8 days later, he'd be in the '09 Draft and would probably be talked about as a first rounder. As it is, the 5'10, 174 lbs forward posted an impressive season with Severstal's farm club, leading them in goals (13) and assists (20). Cherepovets was so bad that only one other player cracked 20 points- Trunev's linemate.

Trunev has been to North America twice- both times for the Mac's Midget AAA Tournament held here in Alberta. He was a big hit, electrifying the crowd with his speed and hands. The biggest knock on him last year was his propensity to hog the puck, but as you can see by his assist totals, he's started to use his talents to their full capacity.

He's a fan favorite in Severstal, and some call him mini-Datsyuk. It's an apt comparison, and Trunev will be a special player if he adds some muscle.

I knew very little about Trunev, thanks for the input Mr Bugg

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke

Maxim Trunev, LW

173.jpg

Nice pick Bugg, that looked like it took deep consideration.

Nice report.

newellky

Jun 3, 2007
Halifax, Nova Scotia
so happy that no GM in his right mind would draft as many dmen in a single draft as have been drafted by CHI now...with Keith, Seabrook, Byfug, Wiz, and Barker i dont see the need for them all but im just sayin...lol

Kopi The King

It's baaaaaack!!!
Oct 18, 2006
Los Angeles
so happy that no GM in his right mind would draft as many dmen in a single draft as have been drafted by CHI now...with Keith, Seabrook, Byfug, Wiz, and Barker i dont see the need for them all but im just sayin...lol

Well, we have a HUGE list of forwards, might as well keep adding the D man. They already have Bolland, Skille, Kane, Toews, Buff, Brouwer, Blunden, Sharp, Bourque... Etc Etc... How many other D-men are in the "SYSTEM" ??? I felt that getting nothing but D-men in a deep draft for D-men was a god's send for my team and I felt I had to stockpile on the blueline. Add all those D-men to the mentioned forwards and I'd say that is one hell of a farm system. Buff is also a forward, not a D man as of right now. The thing is if you can accumilate a lof of depth at forward and defense, you are set for the present and future. It's all about assets, I can eventually probably trade some players here and there and get what I need. Come on now, use your noggin dude...lol.

Louis Houde

Jan 28, 2006
Trois-rivières

Dont know if it'll help but :

Pierre-Alexandre Vandall, a guy Chicago(Kopi the King) drafted is wrongly rated as a Defense-man.
He's a forward!

Kopi The King

It's baaaaaack!!!
Oct 18, 2006
Los Angeles
Dont know if it'll help but :

Pierre-Alexandre Vandall, a guy Chicago(Kopi the King) drafted is wrongly rated as a Defense-man.
He's a forward!

wow, thanks for that. It was my last pick and I didn't know anything about the lower level guys so I just picked him. They said he was a D-man, so I don't know... :help:

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
ANA awarded Dave Labrecque, LW, Shawnigan (QMJHL)

can change if he wants,

WELL DONE FOLKS!

we completed the mock great job.

Feel free to post post-draft analysis.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
we completed the mock great job.

Feel free to post post-draft analysis.

Speaking as an outsider who didn't participate in this particular draft, I have to say that I'm terribly disappointed in the performance of St. Louis' GM in this one.

I'm sure he had good reasons for picking the players he did, but I personally don't like a single one of the players chosen by the Blues' GM in the slots they were taken here.

Just my $0.02.

P_B

:bb:

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
I'm pretty impressed with what Nashville did - great picks, a managed to get a solid goaltending prospect later in the draft and picking up some really established talent with a good balanced approach.

Well done :thumbu:

OilBuoy

Sep 8, 2006
Rundown of the Oilers picks:

G Harri Sateri - Tappara Tampere (SM-Liiga)
F Kelsey Tessier - Quebec Remparts - (QMJHL)
D Adam Comrie - Saginaw Spirit (WHL)
D Julien Demers - Ottawa 67s (OHL)
F Cory Fienhage - Eastview-Minnesota (US HS)
F Anthony Nigro - Guelph Storm (OHL)
G Nicola Riopel - Moncton (QMJHL)
F Ryan Sparling - Saint John (QMJHL)

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
:wings A rundown on the Detroit Red Wings 2008 draft.

Trades:

STL: 30th overall.
DET: 2nd round, 4th round, and 6th round pick
My reasoning in this deal was that the same palayers I would look at picking at 30th would still be there throughout the second round. Why not trade back and pick up some extra picks.

LA: Niklas Kronwall, Jiri Hudler and 86th overall.
DET: 28th overall, 38th overall and 4th rounder 09.
While kronwall is a very nice player he tends to be injury prone to some extent and with Detroit’s aging core win now is in play. I wanted some more gritty North American flavor on this team.

DET: J. Stoll, S. Staios and F. Pisani.
EDM: 45th overall, (Det) 2008 4th rounder and (St.L) 2008 4th rounder.
Added the gritty North American flavor as stated in the above trade. Cut salary (and potential salary) in above deal let me obtain some better than filler roster players in this deal.

STL: 69th overall, 5th rounder and 7th round pick
DET: 54th overall
Another trade down deal, more picks give me a better percentage.

Draft Picks:

28. DET (DAL via LA): Mattias Tedenby, LW, HV71 (SEL)
Diminutive or else would not be available at 28. Great skill, speed and creativity.

37. DET (via LA): Thomas McCollum, G, Guelph (OHL)
Having a great second half and blasting his way up the rankings. Consistency is his only downfall and Detroit is banking that he will improve on that.

69. DET (via ST.L): Brandon Burlon, D, St. Michael's (OPJHL)
A total package defender who will have plenty of time to develop into a top four defender playing college hockey.

132. DET (via ST.L): Daniel Despotovic, RW, Sodertalje (Elisterien)
Daniel is a super skilled playmaker that works hard and doesn’t mind the rough stuff.

148. DET: Brady Hjelle, G, Cedar Rapids (USHL)
I like his upside as a NHL starting goalie one day. Four or five years before Detroit would need to sign him as he is going the NCAA route.

167. DET (via ST.L): Nathan Moon, LW, Kingston (OHL)
Moon has flown under the radar all year playing for a bad Kingston team. He has the skills the only question is his size.

177. DET: Erik Karlsson, D, Frolunda (Swe.)
An extremely skilled offensive defender, I just couldn’t pass him up at this position. He will need lots of time.

COMP: DET: Matt Donovan, D, Cedar Rapids (USHL)
A big defender who needs time, he will get up to four to develop his two-way game going the NCAA route.

203. DET: Joe Phillippi, G, Hill Murray (USHS)
Great high school goalie who just took the spotlight from Aaron Ness at the Minnesota Class AA state tournament. Phillippi is a project that could turn out to be the steal of the ‘08 draft.

Last edited:

Louis Houde

Jan 28, 2006
Trois-rivières
mtl.png

Rundown of the Montréal Canadiens picks:

26. MTL Soldat Popinski selects: Aaron Ness, D, Roseau (US HS)

Ness+%28edit%29.jpg

He is a bit small but is very quick/nifty, skates well, makes nice passes and has quick hands. He has a decent shot from the point but tends to looks to pass more than shoot. He will throw the occasional hit but he will not be accused any time soon of being a bruising defenseman. But he is a good PP QB, he made some nice rushes with the puck and he appears to have a bright future

57. MTL Soldat Popinski selects: David Warsofsky, D, US NTDP (US U-18)
sports01.jpg

Keep this guy's name filed away for the future, because he's a high-end prospect. He'll be a repeat sophomore next year at Cushing Academy – along with his brother, Ryan, who'll take a post-graduate year of study. Boston University is among the schools that have David on their radar for 2009. From North Marshfield, Mass., Warsofsky tied for third in scoring at the Select 16's with a 3-4—7 scoring line in five games played. Highly talented, he moves the puck up and down the ice efficiently and smoothly.

88. MTL Soldat Popinski selects: Maxim Chudinov, D, Severstal (RSL)
image_1140e57aa855450c97c9f411f1c695bb.jpg

Great hockey player, plays both end of the ice. Small but strong.
Chudinov's hockey stats
http://hockey.penza.net/player.asp?TXT=9008&Language=e

114. MTL Soldat Popinski: Sergei Ostapchuk, RW, Lokomotiv (RSL)
A warrior, typical russian skills with impressive grit and toughness
Ostapchuk's hockey stats
http://hockey.penza.net/player.asp?TXT=11745&Language=e

206. MTL Soldat Popinski: Pavel Chernov, C, Mytishi Khimik (RSL)
Impressive skills, very talented young man
Chernov's Hockey Stats
http://hockey.penza.net/player.asp?TXT=11742&Language=e

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
:nucks selections

1. (25th) Jordan Eberle decent pick, should develop well.

2. (33rd) AJ Jenks nice pick-up who could shape up this teams future.

3. (70th) Geordie Wudrick big strong forward who could bring some offensive boosts to this squad.

4. (97th) Joonas Rask if he does come over, will prove to be a good pick.

5. (115th) Michael D'Orazio questionable pick, A bit more depth added to the defense.

6. (142nd) Rasmus Rinne not a good goalie, lots of flaws, but with NA hockey could change his overall game.

7. (164th) Taylor MacDougall great player comparable to Michael Ryder, not too fast but a great shot.

8. (COMP) Jordan Mistelbacher B.C. boy who plays a great 3rd line game.

9. (COMP fr. ST.L) Andrei Loktionov Underrated Russian catalyst who could be dangerous if he comes over.

better than the scouts could do as they just draft busts.

B+ draft I will go

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
Minnesota's Draft Picks in the 2008 Draft

Joshua Bailey, C, Windsor (OHL)
Johan Motin, D, Farjestads BK (Swe.)
Dimitri Kugryshev, LW, Dynamo CSKA
Jan Stranksy, RW, Plzen (Extraglia)
Anders Lindbäck, G, Byrnas (Swe)

Ad