Unsportmanship

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
Yet another post in this section that is either 1- a huge lie or 2- full of inaccuracies. In any two game series with overtime that I know of there is no carry over. The overtime is a new game. It would have to be. What nonsense.

I admit there were a few inaccuracies, but it does not matter. A few guys like Tbonecoyotes understood right away what I was talking about. Just read his post. Now, the penalty carried over in OT because it was a highstick in the face. If it had been just a holding penalty, of course it would have died in the last regulation period. 1-0 or 2-0 or 10-0, 1 second left to do, or two or five DON'T matter! Stop the hairsplitting!

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
I admit there were a few inaccuracies, but it does not matter. A few guys like Tbonecoyotes understood right away what I was talking about. Just read his post. Now, the penalty carried over in OT because it was a highstick in the face. If it had been just a holding penalty, of course it would have died in the last regulation period. 1-0 or 2-0 or 10-0, 1 second left to do, or two or five DON'T matter! Stop the hairsplitting!
It's not hairsplitting really. Whoever ran the tournament and put those rules in place should probably never do it again. If there was a stick in the face penalty at the end of the first game, would it carry over to the second? Probably not, so why would it carry over into the overtime?

The overtime should act like the third game in the series, first goal wins, completely separate from the second game.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

This did not happen. Try some other board.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Well if you were so smart you would know that scoring on your own net would not erase a major penalty nor would it wipe out the back end of a four minute penalty. Hard to believe I am actually engaging in this foolishness.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
Well if you were so smart you would know that scoring on your own net would not erase a major penalty nor would it wipe out the back end of a four minute penalty. Hard to believe I am actually engaging in this foolishness.

We never pretented that we are so smart that we know everything about hockey. We'll know better next time. I still don't know how that can be mockery of the game. No one has still explained to me. :dunno:

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Sorry you'll feel and look stupid, but... it was the final series which consisted in two games. We won the first game, and the other was wining in the final seconds of the second games. Since both teams won, we were going OT. It was 2-0 with 5 seconds or so left, and wanted to wash out the penalty by scoring in our own net. It worked too well... :cry: Obviously, our league wants hockey to be as least strategic as possible. The guys who are too smart get punished!

Here is one of your posts. I think that is a claim of being smart.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
What's stupid is that the refs would carry over the penalty from the second game into an overtime period that's meant to decide the two-game series. Both teams should have started the overtime with a clean slate.

If it's like soccer, shouldn't they have just gone to goal differential?

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
We never pretented that we are so smart that we know everything about hockey. We'll know better next time. I still don't know how that can be mockery of the game. No one has still explained to me. :dunno:

It shouldnt have to be explained to you...and to attempt to would only draw some sort of justification on your part, making it a total waste of time. just think about it....SCORE ON YOUR OWN TEAM INTENTIONALLY. dont consider any type of situations...just that single concept. If you truely loved the game you would have never even considered such a foolish tactic.

acr*

How is that an unsportsmanlike penalty? It's damn good strategy. There's nothing wrong with scoring on your own net to kill a penalty in that situation.

BCCHL inactive

What's stupid is that the refs would carry over the penalty from the second game into an overtime period that's meant to decide the two-game series. Both teams should have started the overtime with a clean slate.

Now why would that have anything to do with the on-ice officials? Referees can't break the rules given to them to call.

What I don't understand is what makes the difference between a high sticking minor and a holding minor? They're both minor penalties and are subject to the same rules regarding powerplay goals.

Either way, scoring on yourself is bad for the game. It needs no explanation. It is just common sense.

How is that an unsportsmanlike penalty? It's damn good strategy. There's nothing wrong with scoring on your own net to kill a penalty in that situation.

I would call it Unsportsmanlike because it is circumventing the penalty that was assessed. Yeah, you give up a goal, but in this screwed-up rules situation, the goal obviously didn't mean anything. It's a chicken **** way out of serving the penalty.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
I would call it Unsportsmanlike because it is circumventing the penalty that was assessed. Yeah, you give up a goal, but in this screwed-up rules situation, the goal obviously didn't mean anything.

Well put. The rules of this tournament seem REALLY bizarre, though. If a team had a penalty at the end of the first game, would it carry over to the second? If not, then why from the second into the tie-breaker? Did the refs say that the penalty would carry over, or did your team just assume that?

Wags

Apr 26, 2004
All situations aside, as a ref, I would definitely assess the Unsportsmanlike minor. You're trying to wipe out a penalty by scoring on yourself. I shouldn't have to tell you why intentionally putting the puck into your own net is bad for the game. Doing so in order to cancel a penalty your team took, frankly, insults the referee. It's not strategy, it's stupidity.

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad