Unsolved Mysteries - Robert Stack

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I just remember as kid being haunted by the theme song, and the eery voice of Robert Stack.

There's a bunch of episodes on YT right now, and it took me way back. Stack was perfect for this show. Anybody else here remember watching this show?

This is probably my favourite TV intro of all time.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Also a bunch of episodes are on Amazon Prime.

I actually went to kindergarten with a kid whose story was on that show. Basically they thought his mom poisoned her first kid with antifreeze. She was pregnant with a second kid while she was on trial, but was found guilty and sent to prison. She had the second kid, who also appeared to be poisoned the same way, but she had no contact with him because she was in prison. Turned out both kids had the same one in a million genetic disorder and the symptoms look a lot like antifreeze poisoning.

Patricia Stallings - Wikipedia

Reactions: stingo

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I remember him, though vaguely, too, from his first series, The Untouchables. My memories are less positive than yours. I thought he was the most wooden actor that I had ever seen. Perhaps, he improved with age.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just noticed that some of the theme music is reminiscent of the music for Friday the 13th and/or Halloween, which was likely no coincidence.

I remember him, though vaguely, too, from his first series, The Untouchables. My memories are less positive than yours. I thought he was the most wooden actor that I had ever seen. Perhaps, he improved with age.

He was definitely a wooden actor, but he didn't have to act to narrate Unsolved Mysteries and his serious demeanor was a good fit for the show, since it was trying to be serious and creepy.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Robert Stack has such a fantastic voice for narration. Like if Morgan Freeman was creepy as hell.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
My first memory of Stack was in Airplane too. Seeing as my uncles loved comedies I was exposed to all the greats taped off HBO in the 80's (Blazing Saddles, History of the World, Revenge of the Nerds etc..)

I always had Catechism classes on the same night as Unsolved Mysteries. So I would only end seeing about half of each episode.

Amazon Prime released the entire series with a catch. Some of the segments were removed due to family objections and statue of limitations. Which means they'll repeat some cases to fill time. However they did include updates on a good portion of the cases. I'm on season five as we speak.

So if there are cases on You Tube currently it might be the ones removed. You Tube has always removed Unsolved Mystery cases quickly in the past.

Yeah that was a dope show.

Same goes with America's Most Wanted. Though I stopped watching by the mid-late 90's as I became older.

It would be cool to see that released in the same vein as Unsolved Mysteries one day.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Pluto has a channel dedicated to it.

My mom and I watched every week. The composite sketches always scared the shit out of me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad