GDT: Unsolved Mysteries ep.4 (1.27)

Bestest Canes Dman of All time

• Total voters

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

giphy.gif

In tonight's episode we need your help to figure out how a legendary GM in the Builders hall of fame was able to sign so many all time greats to a non-O6 franchise for such great contracts. Canes fans have been treated to many legendary defenses over the years headlined by these names and others. Just which one was the bestest Dman to anchor the Canes blueline.

These dmen were so great that young dmen who came into the franchise had this reaction at the greatness they would have to live up to:

giphy.gif

When asked for comment Brett Pesce had this to say:
giphy.gif

Just a few joes off the streets reaction to this list:
giphy.gif

If you have any information that can help our case please call 1-800-Don-Wads. Video evidence is appreciated in helping us find the bestest dman in Canes history. (At least 2 "greats" have escaped the notice of the investigators")

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
In his 5 games (really 4 as he left 1 early with the groin injury, Pacioretty had 2 goals 5v5. The following is what each Hurricane has had in the last 20 team games:

Staal: 5
Fast: 4
Stepan 4
Martinook: 3
Svechnikov: 3
Aho: 3 (14 games because of injury)
Necas: 3
KK: 2
Jarvis: 2
Noesen: 1
Stastny: 1
Teravainen: 0

The Canes have always said they want to play the game 5v5 as they are better 5v5 (and the PP isn't good), but it's 2 things 5v5 that have made us better than other teams:

1) defensively that we have been better 5v5 (last 25 games - 58GF, 37GA). I used 25 because that's the option Naturalstattrick gives easily.
2) We have gotten 11 goals by our defensemen over the last 20 games. I think the Canes are one of the top teams in terms of defensemen scoring (at least that's what they said a few games back on the FLA/NYR broadcast as Florida is also near the top.)

We are winning, so that's all that counts, but we really need some of Svech, Necas, KK, Jarvis and TT to start scoring more 5v5. We can't have Jordan, Fast, Martinook and Stepan leading our team in 5v5 scoring to be successful long term.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Amigo...there is a layup here...who scored all 6 goals and was not on the list?!?!?!?!?!?!? Pls provide a video tribute of your hero and the inspiration he has been in yer life.
The only two highlights I can think of for this man were the goal from his own end against Toronto and beating the wheels off the guy who ran Khudobin in Dallas.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
We can't have Jordan, Fast, Martinook and Stepan leading our team in 5v5 scoring to be successful long term
Sure we can. That's the purpose of depth. We are fortunate enough to have legitimate scoring threats on all four lines and all three pairings.

The power play is where the elite players rack up their high goal counts. I'm far more concerned about our performance there.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Sure we can. That's the purpose of depth. We are fortunate enough to have legitimate scoring threats on all four lines and all three pairings.

The power play is where the elite players rack up their high goal counts. I'm far more concerned about our performance there.
I disagree when it comes to being good enough to win a cup. Top 5v5 regular season scorers from recent cup winners

PIT: Crosby, Sheary, Malkin, Kassel
WSH: Ovi, Kuznetzov, Backstrom
STL: ROR, Tarasenko, Schenn,
TBL: Kucherov, Point, Stamkos,
TBL: Point, Gourde, Palat (Kucherov didn't play the regular season, Stamkos missed a lot of games)
COL: MacKinnon, Kadri, Burakovsky, Ratanaen

That's not to say there aren't more than one way to win a cup and balance is definitely a good thing, but IMO, we need our more elite talent to score more 5v5, particularly in the playoffs, if we want to go far.

On the season, Necas, Svech and Aho are near the top on the Canes on the whole season, but they've tailed off to a rate that good enough IMO. Our best 5v5 scorer among NHL forwards is Martinook at 75th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad