"Unrivaled" & Adam Deadmarsh

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Feb 3, 2007
Hi everyone,
Longtime member but rarely post.
ESPN's "Unrivaled" E60 re: Avs/Wings was awesome.
I couldn't help notice that Deadmarsh was not interviewed.
I'm wondering (with tremendous sadness) if it's possible that he's not able to be interviewed...
Anyone with any insight on this?
SSF

Rick Knickleback

May 18, 2022
Long Beach
Would've been great to hear from Deadmarsh and Mike Keane on the Avs side. On the Wings side, no Fedorov or Lidstrom either.

Thought the doc was solid. Little slanted towards the Detroit point of view though.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Would've been great to hear from Deadmarsh and Mike Keane on the Avs side. On the Wings side, no Fedorov or Lidstrom either.

Thought the doc was solid. Little slanted towards the Detroit point of view though.

Doc focused more on Lemieux/Draper/McCarty than I had expected. It was almost like Sakic/Forsberg/Yzerman/Lidstrom/Fedorov were just background players. I did enjoy the extended cut on ESPN+. Seemed like 30+ minutes hit the cutting room floor for the broadcast version. The subplot with Detroit being the team that chased Roy in his final Montreal game and expedited his trade wasn't kept in the TV cut from what I remember.

References to Quebec were cut as well but were there in the streaming version. Although I do wish they would have mentioned that Quebec had been the #1 seed in the East in 1995 but had been eliminated in the opening round by the defending champion Rangers. So Lemieux and Roy were pieces that they needed. Lemieux's exit from New Jersey was a bit peculiar. He signed an extension prior to his Conn Smythe run then tried to claim that the contract wasn't valid since he signed a faxed copy (ie, he wanted to renegotiate). Lemieux held out in camp and it was brought before an arbitrator who ruled in favor of the Devils. But instead of proceeding with Lemieux, Lou decided to trade him.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I think he was an assistant coach for the Spokane Chiefs until COVID, not sure what he's been up to since.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Last I heard, he still deals with concussion related issues. Pretty brutal how his playing career turned out. He was just entering his prime when he retired. 13 goals in 20 games to start 2002-03 and then he was done.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Lemieux's exit from New Jersey was a bit peculiar. He signed an extension prior to his Conn Smythe run then tried to claim that the contract wasn't valid since he signed a faxed copy (ie, he wanted to renegotiate). Lemieux held out in camp and it was brought before an arbitrator who ruled in favor of the Devils. But instead of proceeding with Lemieux, Lou decided to trade him.

What a sign of the times, eh? :laugh:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What a sign of the times, eh? :laugh:

Probably some more fun fax machine stories out there, but a couple off the top of my head:

The Bruins had a deal to trade Wanvig, their third-round pick in 1999, to another team but when general manager Mike O'Connell contacted Leafs assistant to the president Bill Watters at 4:30, they worked out a deal. Toronto signed Wanvig to a three-year contract and faxed the information to the NHL.

But the teams found that half an hour was not enough time to fax the paperwork to and from agent Anton Thun, who represents both Hoglund and Wanvig, and then to the NHL.

The league informed the teams that the fax was not received until five minutes after the deadline, and nixed the deal.

And then there was the time when Tampa GM Phil Esposito was trying to trade Chris Gratton before he signed an offer sheet. Tampa didn't have the money to match and Esposito didn't want just draft picks in return. Esposito was close to a deal with Chicago but then he received a fax containing an offer sheet that Gratton signed with Philadelphia.

To buy time, Esposito told the league that the fax was smudged and therefore was invalid. Then he tried to submit the trade with Chicago. It went before an arbitrator who ruled in favor of Philadelphia.

Reactions: shadow1

Rick Knickleback

May 18, 2022
Long Beach
They simply didn’t interview every single player from both teams. The only Avs interviewed were Sakic, Forsberg, Foote, Roy, and Crawford.
Oh, for sure. I get that. I just think Deadmarsh and Keane would've been great. Wasn't Keane a great smack talker? And I'm pretty sure Deadmarsh threw down with McCarty and Shanahan among others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad