Unreal Engine tech demo

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
I like they got everyone's old friend, squeezing through a narrow rockaway to hide load times.

I know they claimed it was there so we could admire the rocks, but ehhh
Honestly just one look at how the rest of the demo plays out should tell you that there’s no way they needed to hide a loading screen

They clearly were going through the greatest hits of types of scenes from adventure games of recent to show how the lighting and graphics compare

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Well this demo was mostly focused on the lighting and environment scanning tech (I guess UE5s take on photogrammetry), which is subjective to each person how much that changes their experience and immersion. But I think that one scene demonstrated pretty well what sonys been pushing the console as with what the new storage technology is capable of when they started demoing spiderman behind the scenes, that it kind of unlocks the discomfort of artificially slowed down traversal or corridors and slow to open doorways (though this demo had one), I think thats definitely a big improvement thats sort of bringing back what we had in the days of cartridges that got lost during the ps1 era.

I mean, the degree that one values either of these things are both subjective-- that doesn't make the comment any less valid. People are just saying that they are not that intrigued by what was shown off in this demo, which is a purely subjective sentiment.

Add to that, the inclusion of artificially slowed down traversal really does sour that presentation. Given that it's in there, I'm not sure the idea that load times are limited or completely gone is highlighted all that well. Perhaps if the character leapt through several wildly different settings with entirely different assets without a hiccup, that would have been communicated more meaningfully.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frankie Spankie

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Add to that, the inclusion of artificially slowed down traversal really does sour that presentation. Given that it's in there, I'm not sure the idea that load times are limited or completely gone is highlighted all that well. Perhaps if the character leapt through several wildly different settings with entirely different assets without a hiccup, that would have been communicated more meaningfully.

The incredible part of the demo is the level of detail they are able to load that rapidly using the "nanite" technology and the fast storage speeds.

Whatever developers decide to prioritize (detail, travel, loading times, etc.) is, as always, up to them to decide, design, implement and optimize.

While I understand everyone has different preferences when it comes to video games (my personal obsession with FOV being a great example), this is an impressive showing with a lot of potential for everyone. Focusing on a slight, hidden loading screen when you consider what is being achieved there is a bit of a disservice to the developers of the engine, IMHO....although I'm guessing that's not anyone's intention.

Reactions: Osprey

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The incredible part of the demo is the level of detail they are able to load that rapidly using the "nanite" technology and the fast storage speeds.

Whatever developers decide to prioritize (detail, travel, loading times, etc.) is, as always, up to them to decide, design, implement and optimize.

While I understand everyone has different preferences when it comes to video games (my personal obsession with FOV being a great example), this is an impressive showing with a lot of potential for everyone. Focusing on a slight, hidden loading screen when you consider what is being achieved there is a bit of a disservice to the developers of the engine, IMHO....although I'm guessing that's not anyone's intention.

Yeah that part didn't bother me at all, it's a useful technique and hardly much of an inconvenience for the player. Give devs an engine/hardware powerful enough to not need the technique in current games, and they'll just scale things up until it is needed again. Not just in video games but this is pretty universal rule on the balance between software and hardware.

Reactions: Osprey

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

I acknowledged that it may be impressive under the hood, but for me, it didn't really convey that impressiveness very well. As a non-tech-junkie casual who just likes aesthetics, loading highly detailed same-y graphics quickly after a slow transition screen doesn't feel that different from how games already feel, and even if it's noticeable, it wasn't really shown in a way that felt impactful to me.

It shouldn't be viewed as a disservice to anyone who worked on this to merely acknowledge this effect it had, in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fully expecting the potential of the PS5 to be incredible based on what I've heard, but the demo itself was just kind of whatever for me.

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
I acknowledged that it may be impressive under the hood, but for me, it didn't really convey that impressiveness very well. As a non-tech-junkie casual who just likes aesthetics, loading highly detailed same-y graphics quickly after a slow transition screen doesn't feel that different from how games already feel, and even if it's noticeable, it wasn't really shown in a way that felt impactful to me.

It shouldn't be viewed as a disservice to anyone who worked on this to merely acknowledge this effect it had, in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fully expecting the potential of the PS5 to be incredible based on what I've heard, but the demo itself was just kind of whatever for me.

It’s NOT a loading screen. Not a hidden one either.

They directly clarified as much.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It’s NOT a loading screen. Not a hidden one either.

They directly clarified as much.
I didn't say that it was. It feels like one, though, so as I said, it doesn't convey that impressiveness very well for me, even if what's actually happening under the hood in the demo may be significantly more technically impressive than how it actually comes across.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I think it's reasonable to doubt whether or not that was a loading screen regardless what epic says, still the primary demo was the nanite and lumen stuff, which I think is a pretty noticeable generational leap, the idea of no LODs (which I personally really find distrscting) is pretty promising. The lighting tbh didn't impress me that much, it's not far off the best this gen had, but how dynamic it was was pretty impressive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad