Unpopular opinion

NHLcrazy

Feb 28, 2002
Montreal
I know people will not like this but here it goes...

Buy low sell high, it works with money and it works with sports.

Huberdeau 115pts season? Traded to CGY... since then a 50pts player

Karlsson 101pts season? Traded to Pittsburgh now gets about 50pts

It works as well for pending aging UFA's coming off great seasons that team don't re-sign like our former Captain Pacioretty who never produced like he did with us with a new large contract he got...

Habs are loaded on the D with blue chip prospect. We are still 2-3 years of being a cup contender. Matheson is coming off a career year 62pts season at 30yrs old and signed at 2 more years at 4.8M$. Trading him in the off season would be the smart thing to do, he will likely be a 30-40 pts D for another year or two at best, we could get something good for him now. Agree? disagree?

Other unpopular opinions?

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
The only reason they won't do it is he's a West Island boy. Sa prend dé p'tits gâ d'ché nous icitte.

I personally agree 100% with the buy low sell high in his case. His value will never be higher, yet he's still MAB-level defensively.

Let's not make the same mistake we made with Anderson.

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
I am more than willing to trade him. His next contract is a very potential long-term poison pill, even if his production remains high for a while. But if they'll unload him they better receive a great package with A-level prospect and picks. I don't like the idea where he's treated like a flash in the pan who should be traded before it's too late.

It's very likely Canadiens won't be a playoff team in two years while he's relatively cheap. With Hughes in reigns, trade is a real possibility.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The only reason they won't do it is he's a West Island boy. Sa prend dé p'tits gâ d'ché nous icitte.

I personally agree 100% with the buy low sell high in his case. His value will never be higher, yet he's still MAB-level defensively.

This. Most of the people who were on the "Keep Anderson" train are on the Matheson one. They never learn.

and the Gally one.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don't think its that unpopular opinion, its more of a question of what would the return be and who are you adding on D.

Right now only Carlson has played more minutes than Matheson this season (Doughty will have as well if he isn't rested in the Kings last game). Assuming the return is good, Montreal needs to find someone to take those minutes. And they can't do that internally yet.

But if you can get a really strong return (which would be an irresponsible assumption) and can add an ideally right shot big minute munching D in Free Agency, then it does make sense.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Actually the reason they won’t do it is because he’s a 60+ point veteran defenceman. I have my issues with him, but he’s still been impressive. You can’t go into next season with only Savard as a veteran. The defence sucks enough as it is.

Trembz

GHG
Jul 2, 2009
Canada

LOL, he's not the greatest defensively, but he's no MAB, that guy made me nervous anytime he was on the ice and Habs weren't in the O zone

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I think it a too popular opinion… In two years will everyone in our top 4 be better and cheaper than Matheson? Is contract is crazy good even if he just doing 40pts, he want to play here, we need quality vet, is defence since the all star game has been very good, he just turn 30, skating is elite top 5 in the league, comparing him to MAB or what ever is just pure exaggeration… he will never be an anchor we will be able to unload him at anytime.

If our D is good enough to make Matheson expendable why does he have to play over 25min a game… I have no issue trading him the biggest factor is the return (I don’t want a other Pierre Turgeon situation). most team that can use him don’t have what we need and team that have what we need aren’t buying, also if your actively trying to trade him you likely are getting top value.

The off season might be Matheson highest value but I would consider that an extra year might be more beneficial to the team and our young D long term than the difference or value between the peak and when we trade him…

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Matheson is so close to being a really, really good D, and I'd think he'd be able to make the transition with coaching if he weren't already 30 and still making the same mistakes.

Makes sense to trade him in asset management terms, his value is high, and trading him could help the tank. Asset management is important, and you can't do it really badly and expect to win, but sometimes you need to let some go. Matheson will probably decline fairly rapidly, and he's unlikely to be retained after his contract is up, but, like Savard, he'll help the young guys to learn and he'll help keep the team somewhat competitive. You don't want to get the team used to being overmatched and just losing structure.

Two years ago the team was hopeless and overmatched. It was tough to watch and it was tough on the players. They've climbed into losing fairly resepctably most of the time. I doubt it would help the future to go back into disastrous losses. Good thing Slaf is working out because by tanking to a 1OA pick through incompetence instead of planning it like other teams they didn't choose their year. I suppose if there is a superstar or two coming up it might be an option, go the Pittsburgh route and just lose until you get big stars, but I don't think the timing is right.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
It's not unpopular. I think most here would welcome a good return.

I say It's highly unlikely that Matheson get's moved for various reasons, most notably:
-He's KH guy
-Need vets on the blue line
-Local guy

Last edited:

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I think next year is the year they start being competitive. It's obvious the players want this too. They will certainly aim for the playoffs.

To reach the objective, you need 2 vets on D for the other 5 youngsters, although Ghule is starting to get some mileages too. So for me, the path HuGo have in mind to reach competitiveness next year is not to trade Matheson, it will be through improving the forwards, most likely by trading one or two D kids, and not a veteran.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019

It works as well for pending aging UFA's coming off great seasons that team don't re-sign like our former Captain Pacioretty who never produced like he did with us with a new large contract he got...

Habs are loaded on the D with blue chip prospect. We are still 2-3 years of being a cup contender. Matheson is coming off a career year 62pts season at 30yrs old and signed at 2 more years at 4.8M$. Trading him in the off season would be the smart thing to do, he will likely be a 30-40 pts D for another year or two at best, we could get something good for him now. Agree? disagree?

Calgary sold high on Tkachuk though…like with stocks you never know when a high is THE high.

Reactions: zeeto and dgeezus

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I think it’s a trade deadline move if we’re not doing well or if we have two to three rookies have incredible camps. No reason why he can’t have another good season next year to keep value relatively high

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Unpopular opinion because the expected return is usually too high.

What return are you expecting?
Yeah this is kinda my thing with the whole Matheson trade idea. I'm not opposed to it and I get the rationale behind opening up space to let Guhle, Hutson, and Xhekaj take over the left side for good but I think the sell high stuff is a bit of a false premise. I just don't think other teams are going to be falling over themselves to give us a huge return for him, and I don't think his value will be much lower in a year or two either.

Everyone knows he's a pretty good 2nd pair D with some flaws who can put up points if you let him be the guy in transition and give him PP time and that his numbers are juiced by playing 25 mins a night which he'll never do for a contender so I don't think we're going to be able to hoodwink some unsuspecting team into paying an exorbitant price for him.

Benchmarking a trade with Alec Martinez being traded for two 2nds as a rental and Jake Muzzin with 1.5 years of term remaining going for a late 1st, a B prospect (Durzi), and a decent young bottom six guy (Grundstrom), Matheson's trade value with two years left at 4.8M is probably in between those two so we'd be looking at a late 1st and a throw in, or something like a 2nd + a B prospect. If there's actually a team out there willing to pay for Matheson like he's a legitimate top pair defencemen then yeah I'd be all over that trade, I just think his trade value is probably closer to Monahan and Lehkonen than Seth Jones.

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
I wouldn't be mad if they trade him, but I highly doubt they do it and I'm ok with that. Trading Matheson would be a HUGE gamble without really knowing if Guhle, Hutson, etc can effectively take his minutes for a full 82 game season.

I know he's a really frustrating player, but he's still an effective player for this team. The bobbles at the worst times, the poor decisions, the block shots, etc drove me nuts, but without him putting up the points and eating the minutes that he did, I don't think we see the same progress from the team this year.

I think that he's necessary for one more year to insulate the younger guys. Hopefully he has another good year and you deal him next off season.

Reactions: bsl and cphabs

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
LOL, he's not the greatest defensively, but he's no MAB, that guy made me nervous anytime he was on the ice and Habs weren't in the O zone
Thanks for proving my point, Actually, Matheson also makes me nervous when he handles the puck on the opposite zone. Even on the PP.

Actually the reason they won’t do it is because he’s a 60+ point veteran defenceman. I have my issues with him, but he’s still been impressive. You can’t go into next season with only Savard as a veteran. The defence sucks enough as it is.
There are other veterans than can be acquired for a much lower cost than what we could get for a 60+ points dman that makes less than 5M$.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013

Disagree, He has a skill set that no one else on this team has…Yet,and we haven’t had a 62 point defenseman since Subban. Born and raised here, loves the city ,not perfect but like Savard, a great mentor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad