Music: Unpopular Music Opinions

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Painkiller only gets so much praise because it's surrounded by the 4 worst Priest albums. Realistically it has no case for being rated higher than 5th in the Judas Priest discography. But hey, a classic band made a good album in the 90s, woo hoo.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
As a group I think the Beatles are massively overrated? Good to great? Yeah, but some people put them on a pedestal that I just don't understand.

I think they were greater when looked at as individual musicians than a sum of their parts.
It's because they were innovators. No one really wrote their own music until they did, no one did the things in the studio they did (feedback, reversing tape...etc) nor spend the time in the studio too.

They may seem overrated but the mass influence they had in the 60's (musically, culturally) was unheard of by any musical group. Hell they got America out of its depression after JFK was killed.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Painkiller only gets so much praise because it's surrounded by the 4 worst Priest albums. Realistically it has no case for being rated higher than 5th in the Judas Priest discography. But hey, a classic band made a good album in the 90s, woo hoo.

Painkiller and All Guns Blazing are classic metal anthems, IMO.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
It's because they were innovators. No one really wrote their own music until they did, no one did the things in the studio they did (feedback, reversing tape...etc) nor spend the time in the studio too.

They may seem overrated but the mass influence they had in the 60's (musically, culturally) was unheard of by any musical group. Hell they got America out of its depression after JFK was killed.

Equal partnership groups were also very rare. Bands were mostly [lead member's name] and the [x], where the [x] would at best get cursory credit for any of the artistic creations of the lead member. Hell, it was so prevalent even the Beatles found themselves as the [x] very early in their career behind Johnny Gentle and Tony Sheridan.

The idea of the Lennon/McCartney partnership and even having the 3rd member in Harrison constantly getting their penned songs on their LP and EP releases was absurd at the time, to the point that Martin and Epstein had to do some serious wrangling with EMI and Parlophone to get them on the records.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
There's a ton of awesome country music out there and it's just as legitimate as Rap or Rock.

*In the time I've posted here and on a lot of musical sites it seems like people write off country music and I don't know why.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
There's a ton of awesome country music out there and it's just as legitimate as Rap or Rock.

*In the time I've posted here and on a lot of musical sites it seems like people write off country music and I don't know why.

Country rock is often better than alt rock or straight rock. Classic country/western is horrible, though. The country twang is not listenable to me.

And rap is legitimate art (when done well), but I still refuse to ever label it as "music".

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
every Pearl Jam song sounds the same

Billy Corgan has a more annoying voice than Fran Drescher

it seems that Childish Gambino only raps about 1) struggles growing up 2) how he has haters and 3) how much he loves *****, which is also what almost every other rapper raps about

Lady Gaga is one of the best female singers around despite the fact that her songs have as much subtlety as a train crash

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
because of racism lol

Idk if I agree with that completely for the same reason Warm Cookies brought up.
Nah...I'm sure he classifies blues, jazz, funk, reggae etc. as music.

It's probably because of the whole "talking over samples" thing. Some people have a pretty narrow view of what constitutes real music.

That's probably it. And yeah I really dislike this closed-mindedness among some music fans about what music is. I've had people tell me the song "Samurai Sword" by The Microphones isn't music :laugh:

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
There we go :laugh:. Any reasons why?

because 9/10 times it's the same basic beat, or one lifted from a more gifted artist, and then talked over ...usually about the most useless of subjects ...like getting hoes, booze, weed, etc.

that's just my unpopular opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad