Music: Unpopular Music Opinions

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Did you mean 1979? Sure there's SOME good stuff after 79, but for me popular music peaked in 1979 and has gone downhill since then.
80's for me were good in terms of the good rock songs, whether they be arena rock, hair bands, power ballads, etc. Followed with the early & mid 90's with grunge and some of the alternative rock weren't half bad.

Then again I could just be showing my age...:laugh:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I'm pretty ignorant towards rap, I know I like Kendrick and I know I find Hopsin hilariously awful. Do people actually like Hopsin?

None that I know, everybody just makes fun of him for being a 30 year old manchild. Then again he is somewhat popular so obviously he has a fanbase.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Rap sucks.

Radiohead is pretentious, stuck up crap.

Tool has been making the same album over and over for twenty years and counting.

Tool hasn't made an album in over 11 years, and the time frame of their actual album releases spans only 13 years(15 if you want to include EPs).

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Music stopped being listenable after 1997.

That's so funny you said this. I felt for about a solid two years from 1997-1999 about 70%-80% of the music was awful. There were some gems especially The Lonesome Crowded West by Modest Mouse and I really liked the first and only proper Snot album, but just in general music and movies (this was the Batman and Robin/Deep Impact/Armageddon Era) by that point jumped the shark before the big indie explosion of the early 2000s.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, there's music later than this that I think is great and impressive, but the most recent thing to COMPLETELY blow me away and feel like a masterpiece to me was all the way back from 1994. There were multiple things that grabbed me on that level the previous decades before that, but I have not been able to find anything in the 2000s and 2010s that has hit me quite that hard, personally (and I've been actively looking for it).

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Not everyone's going to agree of course, but Selected Ambient Works II by Aphex Twin.

I think it took the brilliance of Brian Eno during his Ambient series and took the next logical step/fleshed it out/legitimately improved on it, and that it's every bit as perfect, creative, ambitious, tasteful/sensible, and satisfying as older classics by guys like The Beatles, VU, Dylan, and Eno.

While I think a lot of albums after that are great, there was just nothing else after that which matched the peak of the 60s/70s for me. Even albums that seem to be meticulously constructed and that seem to check off every box seemed to lack that naturally perfect sensibility/sound to me.

It's also the only album I can think of that's nearly 3 hours long but miraculously manages to maintain the mood, quality, understated infectiousness, and consistency for the entire duration. I mean, even most of the classic double albums by the Mt. Rushmore guys tend to feel like a bit of an inconsistent, bloated, and unfocused mess, let alone something that lasts 3 hours.

It's one of my five favorite albums of all time. Just feels right in every way to me.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I basically feel that way about every Ambient album except for the handful that I love-- and those ones have a tendency to skyrocket above my favorites. To my ears, modern ambient albums in particular seem superficially pleasant on the surface and then just leave this gross aftertaste after a few minutes. With the ones that I think are brilliant, though, I actually find that I'm less likely to get annoyed with them if I listen to them too much, I guess because they're more understated contain more negative space that's less suffocating/intrusive. If I listen to Revolver repeatedly, over and over again, for example, I start to get annoyed at some point. Good ambient music that doesn't feel like wave after wave of melodramatic synth, on the other hand, just becomes a part of whatever you're doing.

Selected Ambient Works II has a tinge of understated IDM mixed in there as well, which makes it a bit more accessible and groovy (not a whole lot though)

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Most recent masterpiece for me was written just two years ago - depending on your ear, new classics come out all the time.
They always come up a bit short to my ears, though, even when I can acknowledge and appreciate that they're well thought out and memorable, personally. Can't quite put my finger on what it is that's lacking, but it seems to make all the difference in the world to me.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
I don't get the Beyonce hype. She's not nearly as talented as other artists and she doesn't write her own music yet she gets treated like a goddess who people, for some reason, say you have to bow down to. Her fans are insufferable as well. She has to be one of the most overrated entertainers.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I don't get the Beyonce hype. She's not nearly as talented as other artists and she doesn't write her own music yet she gets treated like a goddess who people, for some reason, say you have to bow down to. Her fans are insufferable as well. She has to be one of the most overrated entertainers.

Agreed 100%.

This may sound kind of pedantic, but I am being 100% serious here: I think Beyonce was built entirely on hype, woman power lyrics and her general appearance being constantly pounded into the public over several years. The actual........"sound" of her finished products are like hand grenades to my ears 80% of the time. I just don't get it.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

100. I never got it with Beyonce. Great performer however.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Tool hasn't made an album in over 11 years, and the time frame of their actual album releases spans only 13 years(15 if you want to include EPs).

Not only that but it's completely untrue. Even if you said their entire discography was released in the time frame that poster talked about.

Opiate was very much just in your face.

Undertow stretched it further and really introduced some progressive elements but it was very aggressive. It served as a bridge between opiate and Aenima.

Aenima starts the peak where Danny Carey really integrates electronic drums into their sound, the songs are more melody based than aggressive and really stretch into themes of consciousness, psychology and human error.

Lateralus extends even further into the progressive realm and delves more into a spiritual angle, integrating some middle Eastern and Indian themes into the songs as well.

10,000 Days I would say sounds the most like any other record than the previous, it does sound very much like Lateralus, so I guess this is the only point that makes sense but even then, the songs actually levitate around a central rhythmic theme which wasn't existent really in anything they had done previously.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
This whole idea that Kanye West makes really great music does completely elude me, though. I have no idea what anyone sees in My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, and everything he does just tends to sound grating and unlistenable to my ears (the vocals/lyrics in particular. The production isn't terrible and may be impressive on a technical level, I have no idea, but it doesn't sound all that appealing or interesting to me either).

The annoying thing is that people always seem to assume that this must come from personal bias or misunderstanding due to his public persona.

How into hip hop are you? Just curious.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Damn. was Kendrick's worst album and still a 9/10.

Most of us will probably never live to see a hip-hop artist as good as Kendrick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad