News Article: Unplugged: Carlyle on what the Leafs plan to do with Reimer and Bernier

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Is it possible that neither stands out from each other?
No one winning (or losing)

It will end up being a Rask/Pogge thing.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Is it possible that neither stands out from each other?
No one winning (or losing)

It will end up being a Rask/Pogge thing.

That is possible and aside from the worst case scenario of both sucking it up, the second worse scenario is that both of them play fairly even and then it comes down to nitty gritty decisions and ultimately who management feels most comfortable with. I'd rather see someone win the job because it makes the decision so much more easier. But when has anything ever been easy as a Leafs fan?

Mar 12, 2009
It will be interesting for sure. I think it will also be kind of exciting. If Reimer hits a particular bad patch, we aren't stuck with playing him for lack of viable alternative starter solution; and vice versa with Bernier. If someone gets hot, let them keep playing, once they hit a rough patch you switch goalies and hope the other guy is hungry and wanting to make the best of his chance to start.

If we make the playoffs, and the goalies more or less split the season, whoever we choose will have played a lot and also likely be a little less tired than the opposing goalie due to splitting so many games.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
Platooning is hardly a bad thing in the regular season.

If you play each goalie (luckily) somewhere in the range of 48 and 34 games and they both win around 50-75% (at the high high end) then it's a great thing.

Then you make the decision about playoffs. If it isn't working, then you switch or stick to your guns knowing either way they have played their way into that role. Its not complicated, and its certainly a lot better fighting off playing a goalie 60+ games a year and expecting them to be fresh for a deep playoff run.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
reimer has no glove hand.

glove hand is a basic goalie skill. i wasn't a goalie so i don't know if this can be taught by a goalie coach.. seems like a natural ability for the position. and reimer lacks it.

i don't want reimer to flop. his trade value plummets then. obviously best case scenario both goalies play great. with bernier the more natural raw talent at the position getting his game together and taking the job.

Every scouting report, on every goalie is high glove. His strength is his athleticism and reaction. As long as he keeps the bottom half of the net safe, I don't really have an issue with him having a poor glove considering that's an issue for almost every nhl goalie.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Every scouting report, on every goalie is high glove. His strength is his athleticism and reaction. As long as he keeps the bottom half of the net safe, I don't really have an issue with him having a poor glove considering that's an issue for almost every nhl goalie.
Well to be fair it does seem like Reimer has a problem keeping the puck in his glove when trying to catch it. Though may not necessarily be his fault. Spent the past few seasons with a goaltending coach who made him act like he didn't have a glove and was supposed to shrug at every puck that went high.

It is a pretty common weakness, but think Reimer could improve on it given some time.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Well to be fair it does seem like Reimer has a problem keeping the puck in his glove when trying to catch it. Though may not necessarily be his fault. Spent the past few seasons with a goaltending coach who made him act like he didn't have a glove and was supposed to shrug at every puck that went high.

It is a pretty common weakness, but think Reimer could improve on it given some time.

The bobbling issue I do have a problem with. He gets to the puck in time, just can't corral the damn thing. It's something I think he can fix with experience though.

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
I can't believe poeple are complaining that we have 2 great goalies now...

:facepalm:

Anyways, I really don't think platooning will affect either one's play in any form. Reimer has overcome adversity before and Bernier has been hungry to be a NHL starter. Reimer is proven and has shown us what he can do, but he's also disposed some weaknesses. For one he is often hurt at critical parts of the season. Usually when he goes down who covers for him? Gustavsson? Scrivens? I think now that we have Bernier it gives us a ton of options down the road.

Also this whole thing about messing with Reimer's mind is beginning to tire me. He's a pro athlete and can handle himself. It's about making the team better and winning games.

Fearless

May 6, 2010
No Mans' Land
Give me one example where this goalie platoon thing has ever worked in any significant way, or over longer than a single season. This is designed to fail, and it might just cause serious rifts with the team.

I also don't believe this crap for a minute. Nonis and Carlyle have no faith in Reimer. Full stop. I just wish they'd admit this instead of using this CYA nonsense so they're protected if the trade is a flop and Bernier can't move into a #1 role.

Crawford & Emery? Until Emery got injured and just with Crawford.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Nevermind the fact that having 2 quality, but unproven, goaltenders battle it out the eventual starter position is really only a good thing for the Leafs, there are still other reasons for this trade. One significant one being Reimer's concussion history, and the fact that Bernier represents a totally different style of goaltender, and has very different strengths.

Reimer's weakness are catching the puck, handling the puck and rebound control predominantly. These three things are all strengths of Bernier's game.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Because they still dont know what they have in Bernier. I dont think Nonis really feels confident with Reimer in net. The Kipper nonsense last trade deadline in my opinion spoke volumes about the situation

I think you are right in a sense...in that Nonis isn't confident with ONLY Reimer in net (or rather, Reimer/Scrivens).

If Reimer goes down or falters over a full length season (which he has yet to play in thanks to injuries) I don't think he had faith Scrivens could handle the load and we are shallow in goalie prospects.

To me it made perfect sense to upgrade on Scrivens. It is a CYA move as some have said, but a CYA for the team.

I was expecting them to go more veteran than another young goalie, but it does make sense.

I don't think anybody thinks this is a long term solution. Eventually one of them will and should earn the starter position because we won't be able to afford both long term if both succeed.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
besides the mentioned, there was fernandez and roloson, barrasso and wregget, and i don't think luongo actually got worse when schneider was playing.

i'd argue that the last few playoff games, reimer looked better than crawford.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
To me Carter Ashton feels like a Carlyle type of player, hes got a great two way game, an outstanding work ethic, size, grit, toughness, leadership, good on the forecheck.. And hes actually a really strong skater for a guy his size and is good on the cycle... His offensive game is on a downhill spiral in the AHL from what he did when he first broke into the AHL.. But his game style is just what Carlyle seems to want in his players, D'amigo is a guy who is a good PKer and has a great work ethic, two way game and is a generate off the cycle type player who is clutch, him and Ashton seem likely to have a chance to make it this year, with Biggs and Ross getting chances in a couple years.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
To me Carter Ashton feels like a Carlyle type of player, hes got a great two way game, an outstanding work ethic, size, grit, toughness, leadership, good on the forecheck.. And hes actually a really strong skater for a guy his size and is good on the cycle... His offensive game is on a downhill spiral in the AHL from what he did when he first broke into the AHL.. But his game style is just what Carlyle seems to want in his players, D'amigo is a guy who is a good PKer and has a great work ethic, two way game and is a generate off the cycle type player who is clutch, him and Ashton seem likely to have a chance to make it this year, with Biggs and Ross getting chances in a couple years.

We already count out Hamilton?

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Give me one example where this goalie platoon thing has ever worked in any significant way, or over longer than a single season. This is designed to fail, and it might just cause serious rifts with the team.

I also don't believe this crap for a minute. Nonis and Carlyle have no faith in Reimer. Full stop. I just wish they'd admit this instead of using this CYA nonsense so they're protected if the trade is a flop and Bernier can't move into a #1 role.

Anaheim went through it with 3 goalies and it worked out, Edmonton Moog/ Fure, Minnesota Rolson/Fernadez, LA Quick/Bernier Dallas Belfour/Turco and I could keep going.

This isn't a long term thing in having a tandem like this. It's by design to push both goalies in being the best they could be and let the best guy win. Once the smoke is settled in a couple years time or less and 1 goalie locks the position up the other is then traded and you restart the process yet again if you can with another potential young #1 guy to push the #1.

The reason why it didn't work in Vancouver is cause they committed long term to Luongo and tried to back themselves out of it. Just another example of long term deals north of 5 years can be havoc moving forward with. STAY AWAY FROM THEM X10 with goalies.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Anaheim went through it with 3 goalies and it worked out, Edmonton Moog/ Fure, Minnesota Rolson/Fernadez, LA Quick/Bernier Dallas Belfour/Turco and I could keep going.

This isn't a long term thing in having a tandem like this. It's by design to push both goalies in being the best they could be and let the best guy win. Once the smoke is settled in a couple years time or less and 1 goalie locks the position up the other is then traded and you restart the process yet again if you can with another potential young #1 guy to push the #1.

The reason why it didn't work in Vancouver is cause they committed long term to Luongo and tried to back themselves out of it. Just another example of long term deals north of 5 years can be havoc moving forward with. STAY AWAY FROM THEM X10 with goalies.

Richter/Beezer in NYR?

Well in Van it was also about the established star tender being usurped by the new shiny toy. Kinda like Rask/TT.

2 young tenders, battling for the same spot is a workable situation for a few years.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
St.Louis
Montreal
Anaheim

Seemed to work well for both of those teams.

This is the best possible situation that Nonis did with the goaltending on many fronts. For those who don't think so should ask Carolina's GM if he would have loved to have Bernier and Ward as a tandem last year. Once Ward went down so did Carolina's playoff hopes. They were a cup contender folks that's how important goaltending is ... having 2 good ones is better than having 1.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
St.Louis
Montreal
Anaheim

Seemed to work well for both of those teams.

My post had nothing to do with having 2 quality goalies as a tandem. I was referring to Carlyle theoretically using the media to discredit Reimer's abilities and how it really doesn't benefit anyone.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
I hope Remier will be hungry and play well for a playoff spot next season. I think our goaltending situation has improved slightly with this situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00