OT: Unofficial Merchandise, Blogs, & Podcasts - Billy Smith on Spittin' Chiclets

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
I dont know where to put this, but...

I'll refrain from making any political commentary about the state of the hospitality and restaurant/bar biz in NYC, and just say f*** Covid.

It's not just limited to NYC...places down here have been closed for 6 months and it was just extended for another. That industry is getting crushed all over

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
I don't live in NY but when I flew in for the Snake game I made it a point to go to Offside Tavern the night before.. The place was pretty full, but my family were the only ones wearing NYI stuff so I thought they definitely had a client base beyond just our fans.. The owner was EXTREMELY gracious to us... he'll go down in Islanders lore for planting our flag in Rags territory...

Reactions: Beacon Isles

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
I don't live in NY but when I flew in for the Snake game I made it a point to go to Offside Tavern the night before.. The place was pretty full, but my family were the only ones wearing NYI stuff so I thought they definitely had a client base beyond just our fans.. The owner was EXTREMELY gracious to us... he'll go down in Islanders lore for planting our flag in Rags territory...

That's the thing, from what I've heard, they did business other than just Islanders fans.

I think the current landscape of running a bar in the five boroughs these days, unable to have indoor seating, makes it very tough for places to survive. I hear daily of places closing and as the weather gets colder, if these places cant serve inside, they're in trouble.

I did see that these Tshirts are being sold, with 100% of the profits going to the owner of Offside Tavern.

Offside Tavern

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
It really f***ing pisses me off that Offside Tavern has had to close. All of these stupid rules and regulations made from folks who have NEVER had to go sleepless over whether or not they will have enough money to stay open is absolute f***ing bullshit. I have had to rewrite this post about 5 times because it would have gotten deleted any other way.

I hope they can get something going at Belmont down the road. Gotta think that will happen. Until then you gotta feel for everyone that worked there. Forced to close for months and when they are allowed to open it was not enough to keep them afloat during the playoff season. Better in the long run for them to get the f*** out of the city anyway and in Belmont.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
It really f***ing pisses me off that Offside Tavern has had to close. All of these stupid rules and regulations made from folks who have NEVER had to go sleepless over whether or not they will have enough money to stay open is absolute f***ing bullshit. I have had to rewrite this post about 5 times because it would have gotten deleted any other way.

I hope they can get something going at Belmont down the road. Gotta think that will happen. Until then you gotta feel for everyone that worked there. Forced to close for months and when they are allowed to open it was not enough to keep them afloat during the playoff season. Better in the long run for them to get the f*** out of the city anyway and in Belmont.

this COVID shit makes me want to rip my hair out; I was tired of it in May, and it’s just gone on too long. I greatly fear that masks are going to become the norm, and people will continue to wear them once shitvid-19 passes. This obsession with trying to prolong life, trying to control death—something completely out of ones hands 99% of the time—is going to make people continue with social distancing and masks in public, well into 2021.

I think to myself “we have several infectious diseases, that have been around since time immemorial, and we’ve never gone this far to protect ourselves. I remember being a kid, and parents *wanted* their kids to get chickenpox so they’d be immune to it in the future. This feels like mass hysteria. Our immune systems are designed to protect us from pathogens, but our immune systems are becoming lazy because they don’t have as many germs to fight against—it’s not getting the practice it needs! The incessant sanitizing, and masks, and social distancing, is only making our immune systems weaker. f***, I can’t take this shit anymore”

There’s a part of me that feels like this is some sort of conspiracy, but I can’t tell what side is responsible for it. Are dems doing it to make Trump look bad, or is it reps doing it so Trump can capitalize on the chaos? I know that’s probably not the case, but there’s something about the whole thing that feels contrived. Case in point:
“Tom Seaver died from complications of Lewy body dementia.........and COVID 19” it’s like they just added that in as an afterthought.

It’s a damn shame that bar had to close shop because of this. You see this fear magnified by people who are well-off; I manage a portfolio of 20 Hamptons rental houses, and some of the tenants were going to absurd measures. I go to fix a dishwasher at one of the houses; I wear a mask, gloves, but the woman staying at the house asked me if I had those stupid booties you put on your feet. I tell her I don’t, she asks me to take off my boots, and I comply. I had to get some tools from the car, and I find that this maniac put my god-damn boots outside! As though they’re covered with a radioactive substance for f*** sake! It’s borderline insulting honestly; these people come from ground-zero of this “pandemic”, and I should be more fearful of them!

I have a family in one of the houses, and they don’t want *anyone* coming to the house, and they don’t want anyone being within 20feet of them. It infuriates me

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
I don't understand the willingness on people's parts to gravitate to conspiracy theories and accept them so easily. Occam's razor. This is different than chicken pox - if your parents could have caught chicken pox and died from it they wouldn't have done those "parties". This is different than the flu in that the contageousness is higher and we aren't that far removed from area hospitals being over-run. Even with the extreme efforts in place this thing has killed nearly 200k Americans.

It's a massive strain on the entertainment industry. These businesses are in significant danger, and are trying to cope with finding ways to stay afloat right now - many of them are or will still need to shut down. But when this is over, it means that there will be tremendous opportunity for these entrepreneurs to start again. The appetite for entertainment isn't going away. The need for food services and bars isn't going away.

Has this been handled perfectly - heck no. Has it been politicized? Most definitely. It's unfortunate that the timing of this crisis coincides with a major presidential election during a time when the political engines are willing to continue to divide Americans. Any current topic would be made divisive but this is one where people really need to be getting on the same page.

The massive efforts from the multi-billion dollar sports industries to try to salvage some portion of revenue and normalcy should be a sign to anyone that this is not somebody "doing it to make someone else look bad" but instead a reality we currently need to deal with. All sides are reliant - maybe too reliant - on the hope of a forthcoming vaccine, and honestly we don't know when or how that will impact the current situation. If it's like a flu shot, then yes, we will still be dealing with COVID for a very long time to come, but it at least is a means where the crowd immunity approach won't over-run our hospitals, and mortality numbers can be reduced considerably. If we get the miracle cure, then all the better but in all honesty - we are not likely to see that.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
this COVID shit makes me want to rip my hair out; I was tired of it in May, and it’s just gone on too long. I greatly fear that masks are going to become the norm, and people will continue to wear them once shitvid-19 passes. This obsession with trying to prolong life, trying to control death—something completely out of ones hands 99% of the time—is going to make people continue with social distancing and masks in public, well into 2021.

I think to myself “we have several infectious diseases, that have been around since time immemorial, and we’ve never gone this far to protect ourselves. I remember being a kid, and parents *wanted* their kids to get chickenpox so they’d be immune to it in the future. This feels like mass hysteria. Our immune systems are designed to protect us from pathogens, but our immune systems are becoming lazy because they don’t have as many germs to fight against—it’s not getting the practice it needs! The incessant sanitizing, and masks, and social distancing, is only making our immune systems weaker. f***, I can’t take this shit anymore”

There’s a part of me that feels like this is some sort of conspiracy, but I can’t tell what side is responsible for it. Are dems doing it to make Trump look bad, or is it reps doing it so Trump can capitalize on the chaos? I know that’s probably not the case, but there’s something about the whole thing that feels contrived. Case in point:
“Tom Seaver died from complications of Lewy body dementia.........and COVID 19” it’s like they just added that in as an afterthought.

It’s a damn shame that bar had to close shop because of this. You see this fear magnified by people who are well-off; I manage a portfolio of 20 Hamptons rental houses, and some of the tenants were going to absurd measures. I go to fix a dishwasher at one of the houses; I wear a mask, gloves, but the woman staying at the house asked me if I had those stupid booties you put on your feet. I tell her I don’t, she asks me to take off my boots, and I comply. I had to get some tools from the car, and I find that this maniac put my god-damn boots outside! As though they’re covered with a radioactive substance for f*** sake! It’s borderline insulting honestly; these people come from ground-zero of this “pandemic”, and I should be more fearful of them!

I have a family in one of the houses, and they don’t want *anyone* coming to the house, and they don’t want anyone being within 20feet of them. It infuriates me

I get your frustration. Some people are bat $h!t crazy and you've clearly met a few of them.

At the same time, the pandemic is painstakingly real. If you ask anyone who's been on the front lines they'll tell you it's not in the same stratosphere as anything we've seen previously.
Yes, infection rates are dramatically down locally and there are partially effective treatments but it's hard to imagine we won't have another flare here before the end of the year.

Dementia is debilitating btw but in and of itself it isn't fatal. I'll take the report of Tom Seaver's COVID infection at its word.

My advice: Wear your mask but don't crawl into a cave. Support your local restaurants if you can afford to. They may not survive.

Last edited:

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
I saw 1 game at the offsides tavern. The game 4 of the sweep vs the canes last year. Great vibe in there. Its a damn shame its gotta close down. Hopefully it reopens in Nassau county somewhere.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If anyone wants the "authentic" (which itself is a gigantic work/con but that's a whole other story) reverse retro Kohl's has them on sale with free shipping plus you get $20 in Kohl's Cash to spend the week after Christmas:
Screenshot_20201222-194424.png

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com
Not sure if you guys heard the latest episode of my podcast this week, but I decided to change things up a bit.

I was forced to buy a new Mac because mine died and in doing so, had to buy some better software. I’m now able to do a ton more, so had some fun with it.

Added some game audio, post game comments and questions to drive my point home.

I’m thinking it’s something I’m going to do moving forward based on early feedback.

I’d love some feedback from you guys, you tend not to hold back

We Are All Angry! - The Isles Faithful

Reactions: PK Cronin

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I just want this logo on a hat, is that too much to ask?!

New-York-Islanders-third-jersey-logo-leaked-1.png
The blue ones were at the team store at NVMC. So hard to find that logo solo. Fanatics has (had?) some shirts last summer with it - shame, hopefully with the Belmont move they place more emphasis on it to reach a broader appeal/market.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I have a handful of them, but I got them a couple years ago. Black even.

Do you like the Brooklyn NY better than this one? I think this is a slight improvement.

The blue ones were at the team store at NVMC. So hard to find that logo solo. Fanatics has (had?) some shirts last summer with it - shame, hopefully with the Belmont move they place more emphasis on it to reach a broader appeal/market.

They still sell shirts with it, I just think it'd look good on a hat. :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad