WC: Unleashed's research thread

unleashed

Sep 2, 2008
Hi!
Can anyone say me which WC was the first to use visors?
First player to use visor was Greg Neeld, but i cannot find any information about first WC with visors

unleashed

Sep 2, 2008
Question to Sweden fans

It is widely known that Sweden hockey team is called Tre Kronor for using three crowns on jerseys since 1938.
But there was a long period when The Three Crowns hadnt been used on team jerseys.
When and why that happened? As i know The Three Crowns returned on jerseys at 1984, but when they disappeared and why?

Last edited:

Coog

Nov 2, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
They got the name "Tre Kronor" 1938 and if I'm not completly lost I don't think they ever changed their name. But in the 80's they took away the three crowns and replaced it with the text "Tre Kronor" and an image of an polar bear. It was butt ugly and I'm glad it is a distant memory. Please don't bring it up again:p:

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
The tre kronor logo was replaced in 1978 I think by a polar bear. The polar bear was a logo for a company that manufactured car-caravans. So tre kronor was actually sold out, very sad. :shakehead

Not a period hockey Sweden are proud of. We might as well would have had Donald Duck as logo. He have just as much to do with Sweden as a Polar bear (which is only exists in zoo's in Sweden)

http://polarnostalgi.blogspot.com/2006_10_22_archive.html

The tre kronor name (three crowns) comes from a building and from Swedens national herald-shield. The shield represent three "kingdoms" that Erik Magnusson held as "his" in the 14th century; Norway, Sweden (how it looked like back then, borders quite different to today's) and Skåne (Scania in latin, todays southernmost part of Sweden).

Last edited:

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
The tre kronor logo was replaced in 1978 I think by a polar bear...

Thanks for the link :) I had completely forgotten that period, but seeing the pics brougt back some memories. Wikipedia offers three possibilities for the history of the 3 crowns and they can be found here

unleashed

Sep 2, 2008
The tre kronor logo was replaced in 1978 I think by a polar bear. The polar bear was a logo for a company that manufactured car-caravans. So tre kronor was actually sold out, very sad. :shakehead
I found 1976 Sweden jersey - it has Three Crowns on it.
on 1978 - already Polarbear

unleashed

Sep 2, 2008
and 1977 still Three Crowns are present on jerseys! It means that PolarBear came on 1978 WC. Thanks!

unleashed

Sep 2, 2008
Which Euro team was first to write surnames on jerseys

I have a question:
Which European national team was first to write players surnames on jerseys?
The earliest i found was Czechoslovakia on 1972 WC.
Anybody knows earlier team?

Dagh

Dec 10, 2007

As a Norwegian I'm glad you gave up the polar bear too. Imagine if both our teams showed up with polar bear jerseys? They'd feel like girls wearing the same dress to the prom.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Maybe I'm kicking in open doors here, but to any foreigners who might not know it, three crowns is the swedish national emblem, and is used widely on various crests and on every item that belongs to the Armed Forces.

Paatos

Jan 5, 2006
Oulu
What is it anyway with polarbears and lions in nordic crests/emblems as neither ones are found in here (apart from Svalbard, so Norway I can understand) :huh:

Coog

Nov 2, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
What is it anyway with polarbears and lions in nordic crests/emblems as neither ones are found in here (apart from Svalbard, so Norway I can understand) :huh:

Well the lion is an old symbol for power and has it's roots way back to the middle ages. It's used wildly in emblems through out and the nordic countries ans as a personal mark of provolence for individual kings. The swedish king Gustavus Adolphus, for example, was known as "The Lion of the North" when he was tearing it up in Germany in the 1600's. I guess you can find the reasons to the finish lion back in the history as well.

Fallenity

Apr 12, 2011
Lions are historically very popular. When Finland became independent, we originally were going to become a monarchy and since lions were essentially the "fad" back then as logos of monarchies (England, Sweden, France for example) it was kind of automatic. We eventually didn't go for the whole monarchy thing, but the lion logo stuck around.

Polar bears I think were just a phase in our "national images" as seen by foreigners, since everyone outside Scandinavia apparently thought or still thinks polar bears walk the streets here. Why we'd want to encourage that, I do not know.

Funny comic about Scandinavian logos (coats of arms):

http://satwcomic.com/coat-of-arms

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway

Google translate:

Coat of arms of gold lion. Time for new forms?

Besides the Norwegian flag is the coat of arms with gold lion holding a silver blade ax our foremost national symbol. Now is not the Norwegian woods this exotic animal king, and maybe should do a bear-yes, why not a elgbikkje or flower? - Have been used.

The selection of the lion was in the Middle Ages with a completely different way of thinking, politics, power and tradition than we have with us today. The lion is related to both the Bible and the Middle East's lion-king-symbolism.

In order to do our bit special coat of arms, placed the medieval people an ax between the lion's paws. It is the ax as Holy-Olav was killed on Stiklestad and related medieval royal family and the national board to "Norway's eternal king" as the church called him. There are opportunities for many religious and political interpretations in an era of conflict between those in power, both ecclesiastical and secular.

The lion has been used as the national weapon probably since Hakon HÃ¥konssons time, in the 1200s. Snorre leads it even further back, but it's probably a slightly more dubious history.

The national lion that state governments are using today is a design in the functionalist style of the 1930s - with some upward adjustment for a few years ago. The reason that state government remains largely with the same shape for many years, most economically, to save money. It is certainly too expensive to allow more artists to work with lion motif. Nevertheless, both Norwegian and foreign experts heraldic artists made great Norwegian lions in recent times that could well be used in Norway. Viewed from an artistic point of view and heraldic designs should get vary far more than the strict ministerial instructions today allow, so they were allowed in earlier centuries. No uniforms and uniformity of the lion shape today is completely unnecessary and unhistorical. Already in the Middle Ages, it was obvious that the arms were the motives vary and plotted for different user needs, taste and style. When government authorities dare drop the heraldic artists more loose to provide new designs of the coat of arms?

and

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Norway

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia

Well, the Czechs have a lion as well and last time I checked you only can find those in zoo in the Czech republic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad