OT: University/College Questions Part V

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
The recommended GPA is 2.7, I'm guessing anything 3.0 and up is considered killing it? :popcorn:

2.7 is the GPA for co-op students who are supposed to be 'among the most marketable' so while 3.0(B) is not 'killing it' it is above average and worthy enough of getting accepted. Furthermore 3.0 is the required level for a masters so it's considered good enough.

ltpato

Feb 27, 2015
MTL
2.7 is the GPA for co-op students who are supposed to be 'among the most marketable' so while 3.0(B) is not 'killing it' it is above average and worthy enough of getting accepted. Furthermore 3.0 is the required level for a masters so it's considered good enough.

Thank you!!

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Engineering. Industrial to be exact.

We don't really make or design anything tangible so it may not be similar to many engineering works.

Bah. You just have that system, which is working, but could be working a little better. That's your job and a 125-150 pages report is expected.

No need to go mental on that stuff. Employers won't read your masters, all they want to know is that you've done the job. I've seen masters theses in engineering that would go well over 300 pages and that is just insane.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Bah. You just have that system, which is working, but could be working a little better. That's your job and a 125-150 pages report is expected.

No need to go mental on that stuff. Employers won't read your masters, all they want to know is that you've done the job. I've seen masters theses in engineering that would go well over 300 pages and that is just insane.

I get it but I assume it's just applying a new theory to an existing problem or a brand new method?

I didn't get much guidance so I'm unsure if it's supposed to be something great or something like "That's a different way of looking at it".

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Masters thesis in engineering usually doesn't need to be mind boggling. But of course you could always stumble upon an extremely interesting result. But the approach usually remains incremental. You add a brick to what is already there.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Masters thesis in engineering usually doesn't need to be mind boggling. But of course you could always stumble upon an extremely interesting result. But the approach usually remains incremental. You add a brick to what is already there.

Fair enough, thanks.

My supervisor is really nice but kind of giving me mixed signals.

Part of me wishes I just waited and went into business.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Fair enough, thanks.

My supervisor is really nice but kind of giving me mixed signals.

That happens. A lot. Often. Everywhere. Some professors are so afraid of being wrong that they'll never commit to a clear cut answer.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
That happens. A lot. Often. Everywhere. Some professors are so afraid of being wrong that they'll never commit to a clear cut answer.

Nah, it's more about how intense I'm expected to be. Had a class with my prof and I had to prove some formula. I did it, no problem. I'm told it's wrong despite the fact I had done it exactly the same way they did. Turns out I'm expected to prove the givens before proving the rest.

Kind of threw me off guard, like you want me to prove the givens of a the proof before doing the proof? Why?

Then I see my prof and it's all casual. Do you want me to be really intense proving stuff for no reason or do you want me to work on something new?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Not worthwhile if you're doing industrial engineering. Just take some accounting, finance, and econ classes/certificates/books/reading (if you haven't already) to round out your knowledge base. Ind Eng is a much much better business degree without much of the fluff.

For some reason I feel I'm not really getting any guidance on how intense I need to make my work. I have no desire for a PhD so this won't be something on-going anyway.
Until I got my masters in management I felt the same way. Now I can see why and how a PhD would be both useful and fulfilling. My final report was on paradigm shifts in the broadcasting business model, Netflix vs cable vs broadcast and all that.

I'm thinking of applying for a a PhD in Public Policy with a focus on public funding for arts, entertainment and, in particular, news. In the era of fake news, for profit 24hour news, and the erosion of trust in the news, I think benevolent governments have to regulate and maybe even produce the news for their own good. I have good enough grades and CV to get into pretty much any school I want but it's daunting trying to find work that I'm suited for (I'm not a fan of consulting and am leaving my job) AND a specific topic AND a specific professor who I'd want to reach out to and who would accept me. :help:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Not worthwhile if you're doing industrial engineering. Just take some accounting, finance, and econ classes/certificates/books/reading (if you haven't already) to round out your knowledge base. Ind Eng is a much much better business degree without much of the fluff.

Until I got my masters in management I felt the same way. Now I can see why and how a PhD would be both useful and fulfilling. My final report was on paradigm shifts in the broadcasting business model, Netflix vs cable vs broadcast and all that.

I'm thinking of applying for a a PhD in Public Policy with a focus on public funding for arts, entertainment and, in particular, news. In the era of fake news, for profit 24hour news, and the erosion of trust in the news, I think benevolent governments have to regulate and maybe even produce the news for their own good. I have good enough grades and CV to get into pretty much any school I want but it's daunting trying to find work that I'm suited for (I'm not a fan of consulting and am leaving my job) AND a specific topic AND a specific professor who I'd want to reach out to and who would accept me. :help:

Yeah Business can have some fluff but regardless it's just how I feel. I'd be lying if I said I was truly invested in what I was doing.

It may sound strange to people but while I always wanted to do a masters, I'm kind of doing it because I'm currently in limbo with something else. A recipe for success I'm sure but I'll be fine.

As for PhD, go for it if you like it but I'd rather just be in industry full time and be done with it. It's great and everything but I don't think I have the desire to commit myself to school that long.

Your research interests sound interesting by the way. I hope that if you do go down that path you find a good match with a school/professor. I can't advise you on where to look but I'm sure if you talk to some of our more educated members they would give you some better insight.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
As someone who studied business and graduated and worked for almost 10 years... If I could go back, I would have studied Computer Science or Engineering (like I am doing now).

Unless you do something like accounting or finance, I kind of feel a business degree is pretty useless. You don't learn anything concrete or marketable, it's all common sense. I would sometimes go into exams having never read a single page from the text and still managed B's and C's.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
As someone who studied business and graduated and worked for almost 10 years... If I could go back, I would have studied Computer Science or Engineering (like I am doing now).

Unless you do something like accounting or finance, I kind of feel a business degree is pretty useless. You don't learn anything concrete or marketable, it's all common sense. I would sometimes go into exams having never read a single page from the text and still managed B's and C's.

I've done business classes and they can be(not all I'm sure) a lot easier.

I like my foundation in engineering but I think I should've went to MBA route afterwards.

Who knows though. What's done is done.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

I graduated my Masters with a Merit (second-class honours) and I didn't study much at all. And this was from a top, top uni and program in the world. :help:

Ain't meant to be a humblebrag but to say that a business degree, for me, has been really all about the connections and name and much less about the education. I mean, we all fkn know what a supply and demand curve should look like, you don't need a masters for this tremendously basic information.

Adamcrazy3

Dec 9, 2011
Montreal, Canada

I saw your post on Spotted: Concordia :) I also did a business degree three years ago and hated it. I quit my job working at a financial services firm and went back to school for a medical degree.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Anyone have experience with consulting firms and which usually offer the best pay/benefits? By benefits I also include stuff like telecommuting, work life balance, etc...

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
As do I but they aren't only one.

Thing is they don't really specify their benefits as the ones I mentioned.

Last consulting company I worked for demanded I travel a lot with little work life balance. I want to avoid it.

It depends on the firm. Benefits wise they are pretty standard for any big company... 3-4 weeks vacation, good health insurance, RRSP matching, maybe a pension.

Honestly I had some consulting firms like Accenture courting me but I was not really interested. I want to create, not just court clients and stuff... I feel as an engineer you only go into consulting if you don't like being an engineer.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
It depends on the firm. Benefits wise they are pretty standard for any big company... 3-4 weeks vacation, good health insurance, RRSP matching, maybe a pension.

Honestly I had some consulting firms like Accenture courting me but I was not really interested. I want to create, not just court clients and stuff... I feel as an engineer you only go into consulting if you don't like being an engineer.

My engineering is fairly business related.

I lot of engineers don't stay in engineering.

I know certain companies have more travel than others. Some companies have telecommuting(I know Deliotte is pretty open with this depending on the department).

I have a preference towards telecommuting jobs in consulting and only one I know of for certain that has it is Deliotte.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
My engineering is fairly business related.

I lot of engineers don't stay in engineering.

I know certain companies have more travel than others. Some companies have telecommuting(I know Deliotte is pretty open with this depending on the department).

I have a preference towards telecommuting jobs in consulting and only one I know of for certain that has it is Deliotte.

They will likely all offer it but ultimately it depends on the job. You can't telecommute if you have a bunch of mining clients, for example.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
They will likely all offer it but ultimately it depends on the job. You can't telecommute if you have a bunch of mining clients, for example.

No I know.

Last job I had was 100% travel. You hit 85 flights in 7 months time and you get tired of it pretty quick.

So it depends on the clients too but ****, I just want a semi normal job in consulting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad