OT: University/College Questions Part V

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Just made tenure at Old Dominion University!

Big relief. Academics obsess about tenure with good reason. If you fail to achieve it, you have a year to clear out. One of my colleagues failed to make it at roughly the same time as me, and he just left this week. His job prospects are not stellar as a result of this failure.

This was a 6-year gestation. Little-known fact: the human professor is the mammal with the longest gestation period. :skeptic:

Reactions: NotProkofievian

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Big relief. Academics obsess about tenure with good reason. If you fail to achieve it, you have a year to clear out. One of my colleagues failed to make it at roughly the same time as me, and he just left this week. His job prospects are not stellar as a result of this failure.

This was a 6-year gestation. Little-known fact: the human professor is the mammal with the longest gestation period. :skeptic:

Congratulations! Besides your obvious intellect and teaching abilities, is politics as prominent a factor as I imagine?

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Congratulations! Besides your obvious intellect and teaching abilities, is politics as prominent a factor as I imagine?

Depends on the place. One of the things I like about my department is that there is very little politics, but that seems to be the exception within my College (Engineering). Politics can happen, as one would expect with a bunch of egotists with lifetime-guaranteed jobs. I have found some of my potential collaborators (for proposals and ultimately research) to try to use politics (even politics of intimidation) with me, but when that happens they find themselves phased out. Life is too short, there are lots of talented people who are fun to work with. In fact often the more talented they are, the less they have to resort to politics. One of the cool things of being a US-based academic is that there is a huge talent pool, and many of these talents are open to collaboration; the flip side of it is that grant funding is very competitive, so one has to be very resourceful to compete, especially coming from a school that is not perceived to be up there with Hopkins or Harvard.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Depends on the place. One of the things I like about my department is that there is very little politics, but that seems to be the exception within my College (Engineering). Politics can happen, as one would expect with a bunch of egotists with lifetime-guaranteed jobs. I have found some of my potential collaborators (for proposals and ultimately research) to try to use politics (even politics of intimidation) with me, but when that happens they find themselves phased out. Life is too short, there are lots of talented people who are fun to work with. In fact often the more talented they are, the less they have to resort to politics. One of the cool things of being a US-based academic is that there is a huge talent pool, and many of these talents are open to collaboration; the flip side of it is that grant funding is very competitive, so one has to be very resourceful to compete, especially coming from a school that is not perceived to be up there with Hopkins or Harvard.

Thanks for the illuminating reply. I can certainly appreciate the benefits of having the ability to vet potential collaborators and to have a like-minded as well as inventive and innovative pool to work with.

I also acknowledge the importance of fun as a vital component of a collaboration. Cheers.

Last edited:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Most places in Quebec, it's 100% politics. I've seen too many examples to even bother try anymore. It's a shame, really.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
At Molson's alma mater this week

I'm at Geoff Molson's alma mater, Babson College, this week to take part in a workshop on entrepreneurship for college profs. GM is on the wall of fame here, right next to Barry Gordy of Motown fame. Fabulous campus and a top entrepreneurship program. A fellowship from Old Dominion is paying for my participation.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Woo hoo!

It's official, I'm graduating!

Going back to school at 30 wasn't easy. It put a lot of financial strain on my wife and I, and a lot of personal stress on myself. I managed to finish the 3 year degree in 2 years, which helped a lot. I also was able to get a lot of money back from my wife's taxes by claiming my tuition fees.

I was never a good student (or frankly, employee) at any point in my life but I'm really proud to say I am graduating with Distinction and a 3.93 GPA (I was 0.07 away from Great Distinction...). I've never had an academic achievement in my entire life, so better late than never!

In July I start a new job and new career as a backend java developer at a really cool company. Very modern offices (beer, food, etc... all for free) and absolutely bonkers benefits. And salary wise, I'm starting off at the same I was getting after 6 years in the finance industry. So really, I'm not really missing out on much growth in the end (and I get to work in an industry I actually enjoy and excel at).

If anyone is thinking about going back to school and changing careers, even if you're a bit older, I would recommend it all the way. You aren't always able to figure out what you want in your early 20's, and it's really important to do something you actually enjoy. I was at the point where I could not stand to go into work one more day. I couldn't imagine having to do it for another 30 years!

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
Congrats! Much respect

Earlier in my career I was in a rut and was debating changing fields but couldn't get over the dread of going back to school. The fact that you actually did and got amazing grades is tremendous

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Woo hoo!

Going back to school at 30 wasn't easy. It put a lot of financial strain on my wife and I, and a lot of personal stress on myself. I managed to finish the 3 year degree in 2 years, which helped a lot. I also was able to get a lot of money back from my wife's taxes by claiming my tuition fees.

I was never a good student (or frankly, employee) at any point in my life but I'm really proud to say I am graduating with Distinction and a 3.93 GPA (I was 0.07 away from Great Distinction...). I've never had an academic achievement in my entire life, so better late than never!

In July I start a new job and new career as a backend java developer at a really cool company. Very modern offices (beer, food, etc... all for free) and absolutely bonkers benefits. And salary wise, I'm starting off at the same I was getting after 6 years in the finance industry. So really, I'm not really missing out on much growth in the end (and I get to work in an industry I actually enjoy and excel at).

If anyone is thinking about going back to school and changing careers, even if you're a bit older, I would recommend it all the way. You aren't always able to figure out what you want in your early 20's, and it's really important to do something you actually enjoy. I was at the point where I could not stand to go into work one more day. I couldn't imagine having to do it for another 30 years!

Fabulous work. I endorse what you said. I too went back to school, twice actually, for my Master's after 3 years in flight simulation, and for my doctorate after 3 years in welding automation (living 2/3 of the time in hotel rooms). The latter in my mid-30s.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
If you're not taking any classes, are you supposed to be paying tuition fees if you're a master's thesis student?

I'd figure yes but I just want to make sure.

Reactions: Gains

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
If you're not taking any classes, are you supposed to be paying tuition fees if you're a master's thesis student?

I think yes, if the time spent on research also counts for credits. That's how we count it at my university. That said, some students who are TAs get tuition waivers, but that is unusual at the Master's level; more common at the PhD level.

On another note, just had an all-you-can-eat lobster dinner at Babson College this evening as part of my entrepreneurship workshop. Just decadent, the food at this place. Some participants were eating three whole lobsters.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal

When I did my master's at UdeM, I had to. I was paying less because I wasn't considered a full-time student but on a ''redaction status''. I paid less but still was paying.

Reactions: Gains

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Anybody else received their results for the CFA today? I really am pumped that I passed level I :yo::D

I probably won't do Level II until June 2019 since I'd like to travel a bit after my masters next June.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Anybody else received their results for the CFA today? I really am pumped that I passed level I :yo::D

I probably won't do Level II until June 2019 since I'd like to travel a bit after my masters next June.

A friend of mine passed level 3 and showed some of his exam notes and the stuff he had to study.

Sounded insane.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Woo hoo!

Congratulations buddy! Your story is pretty inspiring. Especially for myself. I have a masters degree in the social sciences, and as predicted, it hasn't really served me. I've been debating going back to a more marketable degree, but I'm scared to go and do so with all the commitments I have now. Nice to hear that people find success going back.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Woo hoo!

You're a true inspiration. Bravo!

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
A friend of mine passed level 3 and showed some of his exam notes and the stuff he had to study.

Sounded insane.

Yeah they say every level requires 300 hours of studying, but I probably did 1/4th of that to be quite honest. But I wasn't as ready as I should have been and really wasn't sure I was going to pass, far from it. If I didn't get the scholarship/rebate from the CFA institue, I wouldn't have done it right now because it was during a school semester too, so I had a lot on my hands. But it all worked out in the end!

Apparently Level II is the worst to get through.

Congrats lad

Thanks bud.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Congratulations buddy! Your story is pretty inspiring. Especially for myself. I have a masters degree in the social sciences, and as predicted, it hasn't really served me. I've been debating going back to a more marketable degree, but I'm scared to go and do so with all the commitments I have now. Nice to hear that people find success going back.

It depends what you want to do. A lot of companies will hire just based on fact you have a bachelor/masters because the job doesn't require being specialized.

Again, it depends what you want to do. Going back to school after already doing bachelor and masters can be taxing. I'm doing masters and have little motivation because it's not something I 'need', just something I want.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Congratulations on making it! It's a long hard road, and you have my respect for even starting it, much less getting to the end (well, not the end, but you know what I mean).

It's not for me man, I'm heading to industry, whatever that ends up meaning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad