Movies: Universal Pictures is rebooting Scarface

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Guadagnino is a good, interesting director so that at least piques my interest. I'd feel a little different if it were some hack. I thought his Suspiria remake was actually ok. Definite flaws, but had some good moments as well -- a better result than could be hoped for from an undertaking such as that.

My bigger problem isn't so much rebooting Scarface — as if that is some sacred text — it's that the Scarface story is basically every generic gangster story ever. Hell rags-to-riches and being toppled by ones own hubris is pretty well worn beyond the realm of gangster movies for that matter.

As a story I'm pretty meh to this idea. But as a style exercise, I think it could work as Guadagnino is certainly more than capable of bringing some flair to the project.

member 51464

Reading Scarface is overrated posts on the first page...

Never change HF
I think the original is largely poor by most metrics of film (writing, acting, pacing ,etc...)

It gets by mainly on the strength of a few extremely memorable scenes. I think it's a slog, though.

Reactions: Amerika

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
To the haters:

tenor.gif

But yeah. It's been done. Michael B Jordan? Please. That guy can't act his way out of a paper bag.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
As with any movie that I feel was a classic for my time, I never give the reboots a chance. There are just some movies that don't need a follow-up.

The Pacino version is probably not a great film although there are so many memorable scenes. The music and should I say sound effects have this 70's horror movie vibe. For some reason watching that movie gives me anxiety and I can't explain it.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
I didn't like the story of Scarface too much. I remember 2 things about the movie: Pacino's acting and Michelle Pfeiffer showing that some women do get prettier with age.....they should bring her back!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad