Olympics: United Arab Emirates at the Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

skroonk2002*

Looking at the most recent IIHF rankings, the United Arab Emirates is WAY WAY WAY down the list.

If UAE brought their national team to the Olympics and played against Team Canada, what would the score be?

And what would the shot differential between UAE and Team Canada be?

What would Coach Mike Babcock's gameplan be? And who on United Arab Emirates would match-up against Sidney Crosby?

skroonk2002*

Leading scorer had 46 points in 5 games :laugh: :amazed:

Yep. Harry Watson had a huge tournament. 37 goals and 9 assists, for 46 points in 5 games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Watson_(ice_hockey_b._1898)

Harry_Watson%2C_Toronto_Granites.jpg

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
And who on United Arab Emirates would match-up against Sidney Crosby?

I've got a friend who plays on the Quatari national team. His name is Vince and he's in his 50s, so you can figure out for yourself what his story is.

I imagine the UAE has some similar players, and they're as likely as anyone else to draw the hard checking assignments.

DatsyukianDeke*

That should be the next outdoor game, in Dubai. UAE will just buy their team.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Always good to see these new hockey nations pop up. Still doubt they get very far anytime soon in the World hockey rankings.

fan75

Mar 22, 2002
Montreal
I've got a friend who plays on the Quatari national team. His name is Vince and he's in his 50s, so you can figure out for yourself what his story is.

I imagine the UAE has some similar players, and they're as likely as anyone else to draw the hard checking assignments.

UAE beat Bahrain (similar or better level than Qatar) 25-0 in 2011.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I watched a bit of their 18U team playing on Youtube this evening because of this thread. They would have a difficult time beating a decent bantam team in Canada.

Good on them for trying though. It's a great game and for anyone who has not played it, it is a million times more fun to play than watch (and it is pretty good to watch) and all you have to do is get people started. It is highly addictive. One year I played well over 100 games for three different beer league teams.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

Are you certain he plays on the national team? Or is he playing the "national league" which is really beer league.

Looking at the most recent IIHF rankings, the United Arab Emirates is WAY WAY WAY down the list.

If UAE brought their national team to the Olympics and played against Team Canada, what would the score be?

And what would the shot differential between UAE and Team Canada be?

What would Coach Mike Babcock's gameplan be? And who on United Arab Emirates would match-up against Sidney Crosby?

The UAE team would get smoked. Ive played in a tournament against some of the Emiratis on the team. They are athletic, good skaters and in good shape but have zero hockey sense.

This is something people dont really understand or pay much attention to but take your average Canadian. Chances are they grew up watching hockey from a young age. That gets imprinted on the brain.

That should be the next outdoor game, in Dubai. UAE will just buy their team.

They had planned to build a bubble in the desert that would contain a alpine resort town with an outdoor rink. But then the downturn happened.

They do have an olympic rink and quite a decent one in the Dubai mall.

Al Nasr Leisureland which was their first rink in Dubai looks like something you saw 30 years ago in a remote town in Canada.

Abu Dhabi has a nice rink a Zayed Sports City.

UAE beat Bahrain (similar or better level than Qatar) 25-0 in 2011.

UAE is streets ahead of the others. UAE has had very good exposure to high level hockey due to the expat leagues.

There is a league in Abu Dhabi which I am not sure of the level but the league in Dubai is pretty good. I'm not sure what level would be comparable in Canada (A,B,C,D) but to put it in perspective, off the top of my head there are players in Dubai who played:

- College/Uni in the states
- junior in Canada though not sure if any have played CHL
- Russian MHL (junior)
- ECHL
- English premier league
- Slovak Junior and Extra liga
- Finnish 1 divisioona

Thought there are also guys who have just started playing so its mixed but over all its very good hockey.

The top league is the Emirates Hockey League which contains the best players from these leagues and a few other places. The EHL i believe was started to comply with IIHF requirements or something like that.

Last edited:

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
I watched a bit of their 18U team playing on Youtube this evening because of this thread. They would have a difficult time beating a decent bantam team in Canada.

Good on them for trying though. It's a great game and for anyone who has not played it, it is a million times more fun to play than watch (and it is pretty good to watch) and all you have to do is get people started. It is highly addictive. One year I played well over 100 games for three different beer league teams.

looked like a typical house league game, but good for them for playing a sport that is virtually no existent where they're from.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
looked like a typical house league game, but good for them for playing a sport that is virtually no existent where they're from.

Not virtually but non-existent. At least until Canadian expats showed up.

Its the same in a lot of places. Last year during a tournament the Iserlohn roosters sent their mens beer league team. Over a few drinks one of them told me the history of hockey in Iserlohn which started when the Canadian forces based there would play hockey the locals would get curious and eventually it became a viable sport.

Same thing in the middle east. Some of the best ice skaters I have seen are from Dubai. They go to the public skate and do a bunch of jumps and flips and tricks. But hockey wise they have little exposure up until recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad