Unheralded 02's and 03's Ready to Make the Jump Next Year

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
OHL Prospects: Sunday Top 10 - Unheralded Rookies Who Could Make an Impact in 2020/21

This annual article looks at some of the rookies who could make an impact in the OHL next year. And by that I mean players not selected in the Import Draft or the recent priority draft (or the midget draft for that matter). I'm talking about 2003 (possibly even 2002) born players who should finally crack their respective teams this year. The list of successful players of this ilk is long (see Mark Scheifele, Remi Elie, Matt Clark, Trevor Carrick, Travis Dermott, Zach Senyshyn, Nic Hague, Boris Katchouk, Alex Formenton, Cam Hillis, Jack Quinn, Ethan Cardwell, etc). Obviously, this year is a bit different given the uncertainty surrounding the season (due to the pandemic) and the late start date (December). However, operating under the assumption that a season will happen at some point, these are the names to really keep an eye on.

The list includes the likes of Logan Mailloux, Colby Saganiuk, and Brendan Sirizzotti.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Love seeing Anania featured, along with some Sudbury boys! See DeGrazia as a depth option for us too

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Pretty impressive the 03 class depth. Scouting this group, it surprised me.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Hotson was a big standout during last seasons training camp being one of the final cuts during the Attack camp.

Could be a name for this coming season for the Bears to ink in camp. Was surprised by for the fact that Tyler was one of the last cut from being in the 2019-20 campaign he was a standout in rookie and main camp. His hands and compete level were visible throughout camp now being a kid that is committed to St.Andrews College could play an interesting situation.

On one hand being a College commit could swing his interest to academics but there is no guarantee he will go the NCAA route. Not the Attack player to go one route to then circle back to the OHL route. Unfortunately until camps start there's no real way to accurately predict what route these guys will take.

If the Attack do land Hotson that could be a big piece in there depth chart for the coming season.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Interesting article but I would have liked to hear his thoughts on 2003s that are set to make the jump.

Players that already were on the rosters last year but were not integral parts of their teams.

Who will set up and play key roles within their teams....

Reactions: Finster8

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Interesting article but I would have liked to hear his thoughts on 2003s that are set to make the jump.

Players that already were on the rosters last year but were not integral parts of their teams.

He mentioned numerous players that fall into the catergory

Reactions: Uncle

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019

Brock never does it that way, plus as another poster suggested, he did that for players who were signed and played limited minutes, which he has done for years.

If you're looking for information about a specific 03, ask him, hes quite good as answering questions.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

Happy to list a few of those guys...let's call them "breakout" candidates.

Ryan Winterton - Hamilton
Thought he got better as the season went on, gaining confidence in his ability to make plays with the puck and be a driver of the play and not a passenger. I think he could be in for a big draft year with an increased role in Hamilton's offense.

Josh Bloom - Saginaw
I think there's a very real possibility that he ends up in the team's top six, playing shotgun with some very talented offensive players. I think he did a great job standing out in a limited role last year and I could see him developing into a terrific power winger.

Stuart Rolofs - London
Kind of obvious, I suppose. The London Knights' M.O. But this is a kid with size, speed, and a great shot. If they give him an expanded role (more if he earns one), then he could really explode offensively just like every other significant second year Knight.

Braeden Kressler - Flint
Excelled as a penalty killer and without the puck last year for the Firebirds in a support role. But I think he can breakout as an offensive player this year, taking on the ice time and responsibility of some of Flint's graduating players.

Maddox Callens - Kingston
Arcuri might be the guy most would expect me to mention here (and he's a good one to list too), but I found Callens to be consistently noticeable from the bottom six for the Fronts (in a similar way that Wisdom did in his rookie year). I'm not sure of the offensive ceiling, but it wouldn't shock me to see him contribute way more offensively.

Daniel Michaud - Oshawa
Big kid who I thought stood out at times playing as a net front presence and down low. He has the hands and scoring touch. If he's made some improvements to his quickness and confidence with the puck, I think he could definitely experience a breakout.

Simon Motew - Kitchener
Likely to be some increased ice time in Kitchener this year and Motew is the type of offensive defender who could grab that and run. Great mover and someone with a very high ceiling. Just needs the ice time.

There are obviously more, but those are a few of the more "under the radar" ones that you don't hear a lot about.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
You must watch a lot of OHL hockey as I think you nailed some of those picks. Guys that with some time on ice could show well. Agree on your Callens call over Arcuri as well (more complete player in my books)

Reactions: Brock

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Hotson was a big standout during last seasons training camp being one of the final cuts during the Attack camp.

Could be a name for this coming season for the Bears to ink in camp. Was surprised by for the fact that Tyler was one of the last cut from being in the 2019-20 campaign he was a standout in rookie and main camp. His hands and compete level were visible throughout camp now being a kid that is committed to St.Andrews College could play an interesting situation.

On one hand being a College commit could swing his interest to academics but there is no guarantee he will go the NCAA route. Not the Attack player to go one route to then circle back to the OHL route. Unfortunately until camps start there's no real way to accurately predict what route these guys will take.

If the Attack do land Hotson that could be a big piece in there depth chart for the coming season.

St. Andrew’s is a private high school. I don’t know if or when the CISAA/MPHL seasons are set to run, but he just recently commit there so I’m going to assume they start around October. He would be one of not many players to come into Attack camp with games under his belt this season and could make a push for a spot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad