Undrafted Players Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
If a player goes undrafted when he is first eligible ,is he eligible to be signed to
a NHL team or do they have to wait and draft him in the next draft?If he is not eligible to be signed right away ,how many times would he go undrafted before
he is eligible?I'm sure someone on here will know the answer.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
pei fan said:
If a player goes undrafted when he is first eligible ,is he eligible to be signed to
a NHL team or do they have to wait and draft him in the next draft?If he is not eligible to be signed right away ,how many times would he go undrafted before
he is eligible?I'm sure someone on here will know the answer.

Undrafted underage players can be signed between the draft and the start of the next season (Oct 1 I think). For ie, Montreal signed Olivier Michaud at age 18 after he'd passed through the draft once. Once the next season starts, though, there's a freeze on signings until after the next draft.

So a guy like a Stanislav Lascek or a Danny Sryvet who went through the 2004 draft unselected could have been signed by an NHL team between the draft and the start of their junior seasons, but now that the seasons are underway have to wait to be selected in 2005.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Thanks,when you say before the start of the season ,do you mean the NHL season or the chl season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad