Understanding Andrew Raycroft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonander

Jan 31, 2012
Austin TX
Leafs fans: As you may know, Raycroft was demoted from Dallas to their AHL affiliate a couple months ago. I'm a Stars fan and since I live in Austin a STH for the Texas Stars. I don't recall much about Raycroft's game while he was in Dallas backing up Kari, but right now I'm among many fans appalled by the guy. I've never seen a pro athlete seem to care any less about a game than him. This seems to go beyond some Ken Dryden psychological mind game; he truly seems like he doesn't care. When he's not starting, he's under a low-pulled cap seemingly asleep on the bench.

Is this Raycroft's game? Is this normal? I'm sure he's not happy about the demotion. I'm sure he's not happy his contract with the organization is done. I don't care. His attitude is atrocious. To make matters worse, he's been pulled in his last couple starts after giving up goals in bunches.

So I'm wondering-- those familiar with his game, is he always so devil-may-care? And what's the deal with his bevy of chicks that defend him around every corner?

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
always seemed that way with the Leafs to me too. kinda just did the minimum amount to get by. took 0 interest in games he wasnt playing in. showed no emotion whatsoever, no happiness after a win, or if he played like **** he would just kinda be "oh well"

Bonander

Jan 31, 2012
Austin TX
Thanks for the feedback. The guy's earning $600k in the minors, he could at least pretend to care for three hours every couple of days.

RogerRoeper*

He fell asleep on the Leafs bench. Guy has a bad attitude.

I'll never forgive him for taunting Leaf fans after Vancouver beat Toronto. The guy was a freaking backup acting like an arrogant ass.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's just an ass hole. Not much else to say about him, and he's probably seen the last of the NHL.

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
Leafs fans: As you may know, Raycroft was demoted from Dallas to their AHL affiliate a couple months ago. I'm a Stars fan and since I live in Austin a STH for the Texas Stars. I don't recall much about Raycroft's game while he was in Dallas backing up Kari, but right now I'm among many fans appalled by the guy. I've never seen a pro athlete seem to care any less about a game than him. This seems to go beyond some Ken Dryden psychological mind game; he truly seems like he doesn't care. When he's not starting, he's under a low-pulled cap seemingly asleep on the bench.

Is this Raycroft's game? Is this normal? I'm sure he's not happy about the demotion. I'm sure he's not happy his contract with the organization is done. I don't care. His attitude is atrocious. To make matters worse, he's been pulled in his last couple starts after giving up goals in bunches.

So I'm wondering-- those familiar with his game, is he always so devil-may-care? And what's the deal with his bevy of chicks that defend him around every corner?

well he's somewhat hot. so that explains that last part.

as for his attitude, no, he's never seemed to care, and he was that way in toronto.

oh well, whether he just doesnt know how to show it or what, i dont much care.

Bonander

Jan 31, 2012
Austin TX
There are female fans here in Austin who openly admit they're not Stars fans, they're Raycroft fans. One of them told us in so many words that his conquests in Toronto were legendary.

markh100

Aug 11, 2005
Toronto
Raycroft somehow managed to set the single season record for wins by a Leafs goalie, with 37. To this day, this amazes me, both that the Leafs single season record is so low, and that a goalie as terrible as Raycroft managed to set it. Raycroft is my least favorite Leaf of all time - I wonder how much better the Leafs would be this season with Rask in net?

hockeyfanz*

He's just an ass hole. Not much else to say about him, and he's probably seen the last of the NHL.

I will add he was an arrogant ***** too in interviews. He really really seems like he doesn't give a crap. I mean I'm sure there are a lot of pro sports athletes with the same kind of attitude. At least most of them pretend they care. Raycroft couldn't even be bothered to do that much. He is done.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Raycroft somehow managed to set the single season record for wins by a Leafs goalie, with 37. To this day, this amazes me, both that the Leafs single season record is so low, and that a goalie as terrible as Raycroft managed to set it. Raycroft is my least favorite Leaf of all time - I wonder how much better the Leafs would be this season with Rask in net?

The only reason Raycroft had 37 wins that year is because Paul Maurice started him in 72 games. How else can you explain a goaltender getting 37 wins with a .894 save percentage and 2.99 GAA? He basically had a .500 record!

Also, he didn't set the record: he tied it. Belfour originally set the record in 2002-03 in 62 games. This is a far more impressive feat, especially considering his stats: .922 and 2.26 with 7 SO.

I have never seen a worse glove-hand on an NHL goaltender.

Sundinforever13

Feb 19, 2012

john ferguson :shakehead

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
You know...ummm...you know...you know...ummm...he was an...umm...you know...absolute sack...you know...you know...you know...of a goalie...you know.

I will never let JFJ live down that trade. Easily one of the worst Leaf trades in recent memory. I am still livid about it.

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
have a buddy that went to highschool with him in belleville, he told me he was an ******* before he even made it to the nhl lmao guess he was right!

anyone else think this was a we should acquire raycroft thread? i was cringing before i opened this up but it turned out to be exactly what i was hoping for

hackm

Apr 19, 2007
There are female fans here in Austin who openly admit they're not Stars fans, they're Raycroft fans. One of them told us in so many words that his conquests in Toronto were legendary.

Women seem to go nuts for the lazy/aloof guys. It gives the impression of confidence or something. I dunno.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Women seem to go nuts for the lazy/aloof guys. It gives the impression of confidence or something. I dunno.

It's because confidence and arrogance look exactly the same in the short-term.

I have to admit that I was a Raycroft fan when he was in TO. I thought he was going to be the next big thing in goal for the Leafs. A real long term solution. Even after we traded for Vesa, I believed in Raycroft.

In fact, I still think he could be an NHL'er if the man had any motivation to be one. It's a real shame he just doesn't have it in him to be that kind of person. So many goalies would kill to have his natural tallent.

MarcusSwe

Funnier to be in the Swedish 2nd leuege then playing in the NHL

He´s fantastic

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/hockeyallsvenskan/raycroft-roligare-att-vara-i-umea-an-i-nhl/

He has won an award as best newcomer in the NHL.
He has been the first choice goalkeeper for the Toronto Maple Leafs and team mate with Mats Sundin and the Sedin were .
Now Andrew Raycroft suddenly in the premier division Bjorkloven .
- In a way it's more fun here than it was in the NHL , said Raycroft .

That statement may sound crazy , and I shall come back to it . First, it meets me in Umeå :
Sleet falls from the sky outside Umeå arena where a man dressed in black coming cyclists across the deserted parking lot of a mountain bike. The training is about to begin for MYOB and Andrew Raycroft will initiate yet another day at work.
He could say that it was better before . As when he was first choice goalkeeper for the Toronto Maple Leafs and parked among luxury cars in a garage under the fancy Air Canada Centre next to Mats Sundin and the other team mates .
Andrew Raycroft has played NHL hockey for the Boston Bruins , Toronto Maple Leafs , Vancouver Canucks , Colorado Avalanche and Dallas Stars.
When Raycroft was praised as rookie of the year in the NHL in 2004, so he was ranked higher than the prospective Olympic gold medalists Patrice Bergeron and Eric Staal, and Raycroft enjoyed the attention at the same gala as Martin Brodeur , who received an award as the league's best goalie .
Staal and Bergeron is probably in the Olympics in Sochi. Martin Brodeur is still the superstar in the NHL, while the eight- year younger Raycroft takes the bike to workout with MYOB .
Difference it .
" Regret Nothing"
Raycroft could be bitter and when we meet after practice , we sit in a corner O'Leary in Umeå arena , in our particular corner , the walls are papered with articles about the Boston Bruins Stanley Cup victory the other year with goalkeeper hero Tim Thomas , who once replaced Raycroft in Boston. Would thus be easy for Raycroft glancing at photos of Thomas with the trophy and think: " That could have been me ."
- I'm proud of my career. And do not regret anything . Then it's actually easier to love life here in Sweden . You need not be afraid to joke and have fun. The NHL wants often do not look as if they have fun. In adversity you have to be serious. Otherwise, it may be interpreted as not caring . If you're not angry , then you do not want to win.
He shakes his head slowly .
- It's liberating in a more relaxed setting. And the last time in the NHL , I had lost the fun of hockey. I did not like it anymore with everyday life and I think this cracking many players coming into the NHL. When you are in the midst of good times when you do not think so. But then it may be very difficult for many players.
" I just wanted to survive "
Raycroft has experienced Heaven and Hell in the NHL. From winning the Calder Trophy and then being the first goalie in Toronto - that already his second season in Toronto get booed by their own fans .
- Toronto was home to me, I grew up in Ontario, and family and friends living there. I had many of my closest on the matches and after the first year , which was great except that we missed the playoffs in the last game , so I had high expectations for the second year . Then there was that it was ...
Raycroft , who often have close to a smile , looking suddenly sad.
- When the audience booed me in Toronto ... I felt stupid towards family and friends , I felt like I let them down . I felt guilty . Those who had been so proud to share my successes . Now they were ashamed.
- Suddenly, it was not at all fun with hockey anymore. I just wanted to survive , says Andrew .
We often hear terms like " win at all costs " and " the best when it comes ." Easier to say than to live up to.
Has turned down several NHL bid
Raycroft never became the first goalie in the NHL again , and last year he was in Italy, until the old team mate Stefan Öhman rang from Umeå .
- It's Stephen's doing that I 'm here. We are good friends and after Italy felt Sweden exciting. I have heard very good about Swedish hockey and here we were able to get a perfect situation for the family.
In recent years, Raycroft turned down several requests from the NHL.
- I was not good enough last year in Dallas. Then I had the chance to two-way contract with the NHL team , but I did not want to play in the AHL , with all the travel and time away from family .
- Many do whatever it takes to remain in the league , I say.
- Yes , I know. And I think it's a bit sad to see sometimes . I got to experience great success early in my career and succeeded much I wanted to achieve , I won a trophy , I headed to the NHL, I was the first goalie in the NHL. I 'm very happy with what I have accomplished .
- The last few years in the NHL , I played not so much. It was time to go a different route. And I want to prioritize my family. I 'm not going to sacrifice family life to chase a career now.
- It is unusual to think so ?
- When I was younger , I only had hockey in the head, you get second thoughts when you get older and I want to put my family first and foremost.
Raycrofts advice: Enjoy the state
Raycroft is also convinced that the mental strength of the players is what determines their NHL chances.
- A few players thrive on immense talent , but for 95 percent of the players are mentally. Many great talents never comes to the NHL because they can not handle the stress and pressure . When the doubt comes in, then you are really in trouble.
- Your advice for young talents?
- Enjoy situation . Learn what it takes to win . But have fun at the same time . The fun is to learn the game and develop, get better. Then you should not be too hasty . Everyone has such a hurry nowadays . Draftas you in the first round , you think that you are going into the NHL and dominate right away. It takes time for most people. It may take several years . Are you good enough to go to the NHL finally , sometimes it can just take a few years longer than you intended.
- Some young players are so fast that they become burnt out and is killed for that reason.
- Then you have to be lucky ?
- Indeed. You must have great timing and luck. Getting into the right position. This applies throughout their careers, from that one is small. For very often depends on the success of timing, that you come to the right situation in the right position.
"It's bad karma '
He has never desired that his rival for first goalkeeper job should fail, when I ask the question : Will you be as happy as second keeper on the bench, after a victory, then he becomes almost offended ?
- Oh , yeah . Absolutely . Otherwise, it's bad karma . I can not wish my team mate something bad, if you are so negative in your thinking , then hit the Return on yourself. ¨

Björklöven GOALIE ANDREW Raycroft ABOUT ...
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
" My first season in Toronto touched me club record with 37 victories, but we missed the playoffs , and I was one of those who got blamed for it. Second year I only stand 19 matches. "
-
HIS FAVORITE TEAM
"My mom is franskkanadensare and has always hejat at Montreal Canadiens , so I did too. Well, we were almost the only ones at home in Ontario who did. Everyone else cheered for Toronto. "
-
FORMER team mate MATS SUNDIN
" The greatest players I've had as teammates , as Mats Sundin has not the attitude that they will try to win a game , but they know they will win the match . Sundin was amazing. No one worked harder at training and matches than Sundin. "
-
THE LONELY JOB BEING A GOALKEEPER
" I like it . I like the press. Everyone looks at the keeper. When I was younger I was the cool equipment is one reason why I wanted to be a goalie

MarcusSwe

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/hockeyallsvenskan/raycroft-roligare-att-vara-i-umea-an-i-nhl/

He has won an award as best newcomer in the NHL.
He has been the first choice goalkeeper for the Toronto Maple Leafs and team mate with Mats Sundin and the Sedin were .
Now Andrew Raycroft suddenly in the premier division Bjorkloven .
- In a way it's more fun here than it was in the NHL , said Raycroft .

That statement may sound crazy , and I shall come back to it . First, it meets me in Umeå :
Sleet falls from the sky outside Umeå arena where a man dressed in black coming cyclists across the deserted parking lot of a mountain bike. The training is about to begin for MYOB and Andrew Raycroft will initiate yet another day at work.
He could say that it was better before . As when he was first choice goalkeeper for the Toronto Maple Leafs and parked among luxury cars in a garage under the fancy Air Canada Centre next to Mats Sundin and the other team mates .
Andrew Raycroft has played NHL hockey for the Boston Bruins , Toronto Maple Leafs , Vancouver Canucks , Colorado Avalanche and Dallas Stars.
When Raycroft was praised as rookie of the year in the NHL in 2004, so he was ranked higher than the prospective Olympic gold medalists Patrice Bergeron and Eric Staal, and Raycroft enjoyed the attention at the same gala as Martin Brodeur , who received an award as the league's best goalie .
Staal and Bergeron is probably in the Olympics in Sochi. Martin Brodeur is still the superstar in the NHL, while the eight- year younger Raycroft takes the bike to workout with MYOB .
Difference it .
" Regret Nothing"
Raycroft could be bitter and when we meet after practice , we sit in a corner O'Leary in Umeå arena , in our particular corner , the walls are papered with articles about the Boston Bruins Stanley Cup victory the other year with goalkeeper hero Tim Thomas , who once replaced Raycroft in Boston. Would thus be easy for Raycroft glancing at photos of Thomas with the trophy and think: " That could have been me ."
- I'm proud of my career. And do not regret anything . Then it's actually easier to love life here in Sweden . You need not be afraid to joke and have fun. The NHL wants often do not look as if they have fun. In adversity you have to be serious. Otherwise, it may be interpreted as not caring . If you're not angry , then you do not want to win.
He shakes his head slowly .
- It's liberating in a more relaxed setting. And the last time in the NHL , I had lost the fun of hockey. I did not like it anymore with everyday life and I think this cracking many players coming into the NHL. When you are in the midst of good times when you do not think so. But then it may be very difficult for many players.
" I just wanted to survive "
Raycroft has experienced Heaven and Hell in the NHL. From winning the Calder Trophy and then being the first goalie in Toronto - that already his second season in Toronto get booed by their own fans .
- Toronto was home to me, I grew up in Ontario, and family and friends living there. I had many of my closest on the matches and after the first year , which was great except that we missed the playoffs in the last game , so I had high expectations for the second year . Then there was that it was ...
Raycroft , who often have close to a smile , looking suddenly sad.
- When the audience booed me in Toronto ... I felt stupid towards family and friends , I felt like I let them down . I felt guilty . Those who had been so proud to share my successes . Now they were ashamed.
- Suddenly, it was not at all fun with hockey anymore. I just wanted to survive , says Andrew .
We often hear terms like " win at all costs " and " the best when it comes ." Easier to say than to live up to.
Has turned down several NHL bid
Raycroft never became the first goalie in the NHL again , and last year he was in Italy, until the old team mate Stefan Öhman rang from Umeå .
- It's Stephen's doing that I 'm here. We are good friends and after Italy felt Sweden exciting. I have heard very good about Swedish hockey and here we were able to get a perfect situation for the family.
In recent years, Raycroft turned down several requests from the NHL.
- I was not good enough last year in Dallas. Then I had the chance to two-way contract with the NHL team , but I did not want to play in the AHL , with all the travel and time away from family .
- Many do whatever it takes to remain in the league , I say.
- Yes , I know. And I think it's a bit sad to see sometimes . I got to experience great success early in my career and succeeded much I wanted to achieve , I won a trophy , I headed to the NHL, I was the first goalie in the NHL. I 'm very happy with what I have accomplished .
- The last few years in the NHL , I played not so much. It was time to go a different route. And I want to prioritize my family. I 'm not going to sacrifice family life to chase a career now.
- It is unusual to think so ?
- When I was younger , I only had hockey in the head, you get second thoughts when you get older and I want to put my family first and foremost.
Raycrofts advice: Enjoy the state
Raycroft is also convinced that the mental strength of the players is what determines their NHL chances.
- A few players thrive on immense talent , but for 95 percent of the players are mentally. Many great talents never comes to the NHL because they can not handle the stress and pressure . When the doubt comes in, then you are really in trouble.
- Your advice for young talents?
- Enjoy situation . Learn what it takes to win . But have fun at the same time . The fun is to learn the game and develop, get better. Then you should not be too hasty . Everyone has such a hurry nowadays . Draftas you in the first round , you think that you are going into the NHL and dominate right away. It takes time for most people. It may take several years . Are you good enough to go to the NHL finally , sometimes it can just take a few years longer than you intended.
- Some young players are so fast that they become burnt out and is killed for that reason.
- Then you have to be lucky ?
- Indeed. You must have great timing and luck. Getting into the right position. This applies throughout their careers, from that one is small. For very often depends on the success of timing, that you come to the right situation in the right position.
"It's bad karma '
He has never desired that his rival for first goalkeeper job should fail, when I ask the question : Will you be as happy as second keeper on the bench, after a victory, then he becomes almost offended ?
- Oh , yeah . Absolutely . Otherwise, it's bad karma . I can not wish my team mate something bad, if you are so negative in your thinking , then hit the Return on yourself. ¨

Björklöven GOALIE ANDREW Raycroft ABOUT ...
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
" My first season in Toronto touched me club record with 37 victories, but we missed the playoffs , and I was one of those who got blamed for it. Second year I only stand 19 matches. "
-
HIS FAVORITE TEAM
"My mom is franskkanadensare and has always hejat at Montreal Canadiens , so I did too. Well, we were almost the only ones at home in Ontario who did. Everyone else cheered for Toronto. "
-
FORMER team mate MATS SUNDIN
" The greatest players I've had as teammates , as Mats Sundin has not the attitude that they will try to win a game , but they know they will win the match . Sundin was amazing. No one worked harder at training and matches than Sundin. "
-
THE LONELY JOB BEING A GOALKEEPER
" I like it . I like the press. Everyone looks at the keeper. When I was younger I was the cool equipment is one reason why I wanted to be a goalie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad