News Article: Undersized Kozun deserves a spot with the Leafs

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
A nice article about how well Kozun is doing with the Leafs. A good read. The only thing that is a concern to them is his size.

http://www.tsn.ca/siegel-undersized-overlooked-kozun-deserves-spot-with-maple-leafs-1.94995

His fight is ultimately for the one of the final forward spots, likely the fourth line right-wing position occupied mostly by Colton Orr last season. With his wheels, rambunctiousness, penalty-killing ability and potential for bits of offence, he offers more tools than that of his current competition.

He’s outplayed that competition at camp, no less – Orr, Troy Bodie, Frazer McLaren, Carter Ashton, Tyler Biggs, David Broll and even Frattin, who has had a "mediocre" preseason in the eyes of head coach.

Captain Mittens*

I wish nothing but the best for that little *******

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Good for him. Just wish we'd have gotten more. Lombardi is hit or miss when it comes to prospects who need to move on. Good with Tukonen and Vey. Meh with Boyle, Kozun, Hickey. I'm sure I'm missing more.

Captain Mittens*

Good for him. Just wish we'd have gotten more. Lombardi is hit or miss when it comes to prospects who need to move on. Good with Tukonen and Vey. Meh with Boyle, Kozun, Hickey. I'm sure I'm missing more.
Remember, Boyle asked to be traded to the East because he missed his 241 member family

Boyle has also become what most of us expected him to become

2007–08 Los Angeles Kings NHL 8 4 1 5 4 — — — — —
2008–09 Los Angeles Kings NHL 28 4 1 5 42 — — — — —
2008–09 Manchester Monarchs AHL 42 10 11 21 73 — — — — —
2009–10 New York Rangers NHL 71 4 2 6 47 — — — — —
2010–11 New York Rangers NHL 82 21 14 35 74 5 0 0 0 6
2011–12 New York Rangers NHL 82 11 15 26 59 17 3 3 6 15
2012–13 New York Rangers NHL 38 2 3 5 29 11 3 2 5 2
2013–14 New York Rangers NHL 82 6 12 18 56 25 3 5 8 19

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Kozun also asked to be dealt, would have to pass waivers, and had no future with the Kings. Look at the RW depth on the team: Brown, Williams, Toffoli, Lewis, Nolan. Lombardi did him a favor by giving him an opportunity. He wasn't looking to stiff somebody and get in the way of a kid's future from earning an NHL paycheck. Sometimes deals aren't all about coming out on the winning end.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I still think DL goofed big time on the Hickey situation. I know he wouldn't have a got a lot, but still could have done better than waiving him I'd think.

Ron*

If the other team knows you don't have a spot for a prospect, then you are at a negotiating disadvantage. We all wish we can get more for these guys but "it is what it is."

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I still think DL goofed big time on the Hickey situation. I know he wouldn't have a got a lot, but still could have done better than waiving him I'd think.

Seeing how Muzzin turned out though is the positive. Muzzin has been good.

Hickey is pretty good too, on a very poor NYI blue-line.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The Kings were going to start the 2012-13 season with Doughty, Scuderi, Voynov, Muzzin, Greene, Martinez and Drewiske, with Mitchell's return being doubtful. That was a crowded blueline. They would also add Keaton Ellerby and Roby Regehr to the blueline over the course of the abbreviated season.

Their options with Hickey were very limited. In hindsight, he should've been kept in place of Drewiske, however, they probably would have moved Hickey at some point anyway due to what the team's needs were in trying to find another Mitchell type defenseman, hence the trade for Regehr.

Hickey wouldn't have had a spot on the team in 2013-14 either, nor do I think he'd make this roster this season if he was still Kings property. They just didn't have any room to fit an average sized blueliner. And the same story applied for Kozun. He had no future with the Kings and Lombardi did him a personal favor by sending him to a team where he would have an opportunity.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Frattin, as we've learned, is all about nothing.

I can't remember if I liked him more than Jeff Guilano, but hey, at least The Kings no longer ice a team with either player.

What's scary is that Frattin was penciled in as a top six forward at this point in camp a year ago.

He'll be remembered along the likes of Jaroslav Bednar and Tomas Vlasak as failed Kings' projects as top six forwards.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Guiliano looks like a superstar compared to Potato au Frattin.

:laugh::handclap:

Since this thread just became French,

tumblr_ly8bguQOOe1qzds02o2_500.gif

With Love,
Amélie Poulain

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Brandon Kozun is making his final push tonight against the Red Wings to convince Carlyle to keep him up and put him on the roster. Final cuts will probably be Saturday.

Maple Leafs line combos taking shape
Carlyle stressed that some players will have the opportunity to enhance their prospects in Friday’s final pre-season test, an Air Canada Centre date against Detroit...

The coaching staff has been mightily impressed with Kozun, the speedy pint-sized winger and the more you see him, the more you get the impression he has made it next to impossible to cut.

“We think he’s been one of the surprises in camp. People have to notice him,” Carlyle said. “It’s not like he’s a raw, young player. He’s mature.

“When I went to Marlies games (last season) he jumped out at you with his speed alone. We think that if he continues to show that type of effort and commitment, it is going to make a difficult decision. His speed is used with a purpose.”

Maple Leafs hopeful Kozun turning heads
Kozun, William Nylander, Matt Frattin, Josh Leivo and defencemen Stu Percy and Korbinian Holzer are all fighting for the last spots on the 23-man roster.

Kozun, born in Los Angeles to an American father and Canadian mother, helped his cause in Monday’s match against the Wings with some puck steals and scoring chances, using his wicked wheels.

The 5-foot-8 Kozun bumped Frattin from right wing alongside Tyler Bozak and James van Riemsdyk as the game unfolded and Carlyle thought he deserved time in the absent Phil Kessel’s spot. Burying a few of his chances would have helped Kozun’s cause.

“Kozun’s a guy who scored 50 in junior (with Calgary) and he’s been productive at the AHL level (23 points in 46 games with the Marlies last year),” the coach noted. “But you can’t expect him to step in here and be an offensive force. He has to get comfortable. But he is a speedster and a smart player.”

(On an unrelated note, Linden Vey changed his number from 44 to 7 and was tried on the wing last night.)

Last edited:

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
What's really going to be interesting is if Kozun makes the squad and that first game against the Kings. I have seen some highlights of him this preseason and he's a missle out there.. Easily one of the fastest players on the ice, and he's hitting, a lot. Going to be interesting to see him skate against us, especially against some of the players the Kings eventually picked over him for roster spots. Obviously the Kings made the right choices in their prospects, since we just won the Stanley Cup, but I really hope we didn't trade a guy who just took their game to the next level and is still only 24 years of age. Time will tell I suppose

Bigleaf

Jun 21, 2008
2-1 Leafs after one period. Kozun with one goal and one assist. He will make the team.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
What's really going to be interesting is if Kozun makes the squad and that first game against the Kings. I have seen some highlights of him this preseason and he's a missle out there.. Easily one of the fastest players on the ice, and he's hitting, a lot. Going to be interesting to see him skate against us, especially against some of the players the Kings eventually picked over him for roster spots. Obviously the Kings made the right choices in their prospects, since we just won the Stanley Cup, but I really hope we didn't trade a guy who just took their game to the next level and is still only 24 years of age. Time will tell I suppose

I'm sure Kozun will be highly motivated to perform well against his former and hometown team when the time comes.

I think trades sometimes change a player's game. I don't think Jeff Carter would be the player he is today if he had stayed in Philly. I think the trade changed Kozun's game, too.

First period between the Leafs and Red Wings is over and Kozun has a goal and an assist. Game should air later on NHL Network.

While I don't have a favorite player, it's good to see former Kings get a shot. A lot of Kings development time went into them.

ETA: Bigleaf beat me to it. :)

Edit 2: Kozun's goal. He is #67.

Last edited:

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
This is something we're gonna have to get use to. And that's not a bad thing. Sounds like Vey is gonna make the Vancouver roster as well.

It's a real credit to the scouts and developmental staff. We have too many good prospects to even make room for everyone. All while we're winning Stanley Cups.

Kozun is a very skilled player and fearless son of gun. Doesn't hesitate going into the corners for loose pucks. Not surprised about him making it on the roster in Toronto.

I think we might see this again with Jordan Weal.

Last edited:

snizzbone*

Another assist off of a terrible play by the goalie.

1g 2a tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad