Speculation: Underperforming players

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
Hindsight is 20/20, but it would have been nice if Granlund had gotten Nino's contract and vice versa.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Here you can list underperforming players from your team. You can also propose trades between two or more teams. I'm looking for similar trades as the Pens and Kings (Hagelin for Pearson) and the Pens and Ducks (Sprong for Pettersson) did earlier.

Lightning:
Callahan (maybe)
Martel (possibly)

Callahan is not under-performing, you have to get a lot of ice time and opportunities like on the PP to under-perform. He has taken his limited role due to Tampa's depth and exceeded expectations coming off another major injury and no training camp.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Very interested in Lehkonen from a Canucks POV Any interest in some of our non-Hughes prospects? Everyone else barring the untouchables are not very interesting to you I'd imagine.

Personally would very much like to get Nino in Vancouver if he's coming at a somewhat discounted price (in terms of trade value, not salary retention).

Lehkonen probably isn't available for anything but for (or as part of a package for) a very closely aged LH PMD that has similar on-ice impacts.

Most of his under-performance is that he's got some awful puck luck right now, he's generally playing really well apart from that.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Callahan is not under-performing, you have to get a lot of ice time and opportunities like on the PP to under-perform. He has taken his limited role due to Tampa's depth and exceeded expectations coming off another major injury and no training camp.

Yeah, and Martel’s played in all of one game all season. Unless he’s spilling the pressbox popcorn it’s hard to say that he’s underperforming - nonperforming is more like it.

Reactions: Raphael87

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Yeah, and Martel’s played in all of one game all season. Unless he’s spilling the pressbox popcorn it’s hard to say that he’s underperforming - nonperforming is more like it.
Okay, I deleted those players from the first message. I misunderstood your earlier reply.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Dallas fans, what would be your Faksa ask?

As for the Pens, the following are probably available for the right (and reasonable) ask due to underperforming team expectations -

Rust
Brassard
Sheahan
Oleksiak
Maatta

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Okay, I deleted those players from the first message. I misunderstood your earlier reply.

I think Callahan is fair to put on the list simply because he’s drastically underperforming his contract. He’s playing well relative to what we’ve come to expect of him over the last few years but he was never going to be worth $5.8M over the course of that deal. So whether or not he’s underperforming depends on how you choose to define that term.

Reactions: Verdoux

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

I think Callahan is fair to put on the list simply because he’s drastically underperforming his contract. He’s playing well relative to what we’ve come to expect of him over the last few years but he was never going to be worth $5.8M over the course of that deal. So whether or not he’s underperforming depends on how you choose to define that term.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Tampa has everyone performing where they should be or better. The issue with Tampa is (Really not an issue), some players are outperforming others who are already performing very well, so guys are getting dropped to the 4th line (Miller), or getting healthy scratched (Erne). It's a good thing to have.

Reactions: AndreRoy

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Yeah but Callahan does not get the opportunity or ice time in Tampa to even play up to that contract. So it's hard to under-perform, when you are not giving the chance to perform. Sure Callahan is overpaid, well in reality, he is making 4.7 million now in his final two years. So he really is not overpaid too much for his role. It's more around 3.5 million he should be making for his current role.

pbatx

Feb 26, 2015
Austin, TX
Anyone interested? The Stars have a ton

Radek Faksa (replaced by Dickinson basically)

Tyler Pitlick (idk he just isn't noticeable hardly ever, occasionally he shows off his hands and then doesn't score)

Blake Comeau (excellent PKer, that's about it)

Brett Ritchie (he sucks anyways so this was expected)

Valeri Nichushkin (could have a lot more assists if we had better scorers, but can't score goals to save his life, surprisingly been very solid defensively)

Julius Honka (as mentioned above, he's been passed up by several AHLers now)

Mattias Janmark (been good lately but is not scoring goals at all)
100% agree. With Hintz and Guri making their push, I'd love to see if we could get any takers on Honka, Nichu and Faksa to flip for a scoring 2RW

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Yeah but Callahan does not get the opportunity or ice time in Tampa to even play up to that contract. So it's hard to under-perform, when you are not giving the chance to perform. Sure Callahan is overpaid, well in reality, he is making 4.7 million now in his final two years. So he really is not overpaid too much for his role. It's more around 3.5 million he should be making for his current role.

He had the opportunity earlier in his time in Tampa and could not live up to it. He’s a good bottom six defensive/PK/energy forward who is getting paid like a good top six complementary scoring forward.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
Dallas fans, what would be your Faksa ask?

As for the Pens, the following are probably available for the right (and reasonable) ask due to underperforming team expectations -

Rust
Brassard
Sheahan
Oleksiak
Maatta

Any deal to be made around Brassard to Min for Nino or Coyle?

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
i dont know how you can say that cody mcleod is underperforming, what did people expect from him?

shattenkirk and skjei,
buchnevich (to some extent) would be my NYR votes

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Any deal to be made around Brassard to Min for Nino or Coyle?

Potentially yeah. I'd definitely like either of those guys as Pens. I'm not sure that the Pens management would be so hot on releasing our 3C for a wing, but they might well be.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
Potentially yeah. I'd definitely like either of those guys as Pens. I'm not sure that the Pens management would be so hot on releasing our 3C for a wing, but they might well be.

Depending on what they announce about Koivu's injury tonight, we could be in big need of a center. The problem with Trading Coyle is he is the only RHS wing on the team right now.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Depending on what they announce about Koivu's injury tonight, we could be in big need of a center. The problem with Trading Coyle is he is the only RHS wing on the team right now.

We'd probably prefer to acquire a LHS anyway - just that Niederreiter's cap hit makes things complicated.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Canucks :

Roussel is not struggling. Hes one of the few that brings grit to the team. Has excellent speed as well and an under rated playmaking and iq ability.

Ironic that Gudbranson and Miles Wood are both on the OP as it was rumored last year that NJD really wanted Guddy and offered Woods.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad