Underage rules

hockeyfan3930

Mar 22, 2015
I believe it's 3 per game with no game limit, and if there's more underagers those players can only play up to 10 games.

May be wrong, but that's my understanding

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
They were going over this issue on the Ranger thread just recently. Tigers says it's four 16 year olds one of which may or maynot be a goalie. Someone said it use to be four plus a 16 year old goalie. Not anymore.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Tigers would know.
Can they add 99s to that total of 4 after the deadline? Not sure why I even think that used to be a rule?
You've also got the B carded players avail for up to ten games ( not including start of year fill ins for pro camp players and also not including games as fill ins for WJC)
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

NorthHockey

Sep 9, 2014
Ok after research on the web here is my understanding of the rule on 16 year olds. A team can roster up to four 16 year olds however they can only be comprised of the following.

The first round pick, second round pick and two wildcard picks. So if a team rosters their first two draft picks then only two more 16 year old are allowed to be rostered. If a team doesn't sign and roster their first two round draft picks, then you can't roster more than two 16 year olds.

To summarize, teams are limited to two 16 year olds after their first two draft picks.

Any additional 16 year olds above the totals can be a/p for a maximum of 10 games.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Ok after research on the web here is my understanding of the rule on 16 year olds. A team can roster up to four 16 year olds however they can only be comprised of the following.

The first round pick, second round pick and two wildcard picks. So if a team rosters their first two draft picks then only two more 16 year old are allowed to be rostered. If a team doesn't sign and roster their first two round draft picks, then you can't roster more than two 16 year olds.

To summarize, teams are limited to two 16 year olds after their first two draft picks.

Any additional 16 year olds above the totals can be a/p for a maximum of 10 games.

I believe these players are allowed to play past their 10 game limit after their club team's season is done. For example, I think Greg Meireles is allowed to become a Ranger full time once his team's season is over.

But I'd expect (but don't know for sure) the Rangers would need to have an available card for him to play at that point.

NorthHockey

Sep 9, 2014
I believe these players are allowed to play past their 10 game limit after their club team's season is done. For example, I think Greg Meireles is allowed to become a Ranger full time once his team's season is over.

But I'd expect (but don't know for sure) the Rangers would need to have an available card for him to play at that point.

That's correct I believe, but Meireles was a first round pick so his card is available and he can join at any time. Can't replace Meireles or Roberts card for Kitchener with other 16 year olds.

I believe the best way to look at it as far as 16 year old cards go is as follows:

Card 1 (1st round pick)-Non replaceable-For Kitchener-Meireles
Card 2 (2nd round pick)-Non replaceable-For Kitchener-Roberts
Card 3 (Wild card-Any draft pick rounds 3-15)-For Kitchener-Garreffa
Card 4 (Wild card-Any draft pick rounds 3-15)-For Kitchener-McHugh

So if any additional 16 year olds are a/p'd (10 game max)-my understanding is that one of the players under cards 3 or 4 must not dress-but not 100% sure on that rule.

NorthHockey

Sep 9, 2014
If a goalie dresses, but does not see game action, does it count towards his 10?

Good question and yes I believe it does count.

As you can see in the Kitchener game tonight, 16 year old goalie Richardson backed up tonight and forced Garreffa to be scratched.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
Good question and yes I believe it does count.

As you can see in the Kitchener game tonight, 16 year old goalie Richardson backed up tonight and forced Garreffa to be scratched.

I don't think Garreffa was scratched because of Richardson being underage as the Rangers only dressed 2.

NorthHockey

Sep 9, 2014
I don't think Garreffa was scratched because of Richardson being underage as the Rangers only dressed 2.

Probably, I just don't think you can dress, Richardson, Garreffa and McHugh on a roster sheet for a game. Have to see if they do.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Probably, I just don't think you can dress, Richardson, Garreffa and McHugh on a roster sheet for a game. Have to see if they do.

When Roberts come back from the under 17 you will see three rookies in a game if Miller and Magyar are not back. I can see McHugh, Roberts and Richardson in a game. I don't think their are any rules against it.

NorthHockey

Sep 9, 2014
When Roberts come back from the under 17 you will see three rookies in a game if Miller and Magyar are not back. I can see McHugh, Roberts and Richardson in a game. I don't think their are any rules against it.

That's correct. Roberts is a 2nd round pick. He has no effect on McHugh, Garreffa and Richardson being dressed. As you can tonight, McHugh was the scratch as Richardson had to back up.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
That's correct. Roberts is a 2nd round pick. He has no effect on McHugh, Garreffa and Richardson being dressed. As you can tonight, McHugh was the scratch as Richardson had to back up.

Tonight McHugh, Garreffa and Richardson are all dressed as is Roberts.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
That's correct I believe, but Meireles was a first round pick so his card is available and he can join at any time. Can't replace Meireles or Roberts card for Kitchener with other 16 year olds.

I believe the best way to look at it as far as 16 year old cards go is as follows:

Card 1 (1st round pick)-Non replaceable-For Kitchener-Meireles
Card 2 (2nd round pick)-Non replaceable-For Kitchener-Roberts
Card 3 (Wild card-Any draft pick rounds 3-15)-For Kitchener-Garreffa
Card 4 (Wild card-Any draft pick rounds 3-15)-For Kitchener-McHugh

So if any additional 16 year olds are a/p'd (10 game max)-my understanding is that one of the players under cards 3 or 4 must not dress-but not 100% sure on that rule.

I was meaning an available card among the team's 30. If Meireles' tier 2 team's season is over in March/April and the Rangers are still playing, and they have used their 30 cards, I doubt they can add Meireles if he's already played his 10 games, can they?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

I was meaning an available card among the team's 30. If Meireles' tier 2 team's season is over in March/April and the Rangers are still playing, and they have used their 30 cards, I doubt they can add Meireles if he's already played his 10 games, can they?

Yes they can play him beyond 10 games once his season is done regardless of card situation.

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Dressing a whole bunch of 16 YOs isn't a competitive advantage in the way that dressing extra OAs is, and leagues will generally let you dress extras if you ask. I can't think of a recent OHL example, but I know the Sags received permission to start the year with five 16s this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad