Movies: Under the Radar Summer Movies

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Hey, just wondering what under the radar summer movies people have on their "to see/to watch" list. I have a few:

Upgrade=Interesting sci-fi twist of a movie written/directed by Leigh Whannell and starring an actor I've really enjoyed in under the radar/supporting-side roles, Logan Marshall-Green.

Won't You Be My Neighbor?=Never grew up with Mr.Rogers, so I'm curious to see this "biopic". I've heard nothing but nice things about him.

Under the Silver Lake=New "thriller" movie from the It Follows writer/director, should be worth a watch with the story sounding psychologically interesting.

I'd add Sicario 2, but I don't think that counts. Seeing Benicio continue that role and expand on it in itself will be a fun watch imo.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I always look forward to A24 releases. Hereditary and Under the Silver Lake look excellent. How to Talk to Girls at Parties looks interesting as well.

I am super hesitant about Sicario 2. The way the first one was shot and the score is what really stood out to me. No Villeneuve coming back to direct, no Deakins for cinematography, and obviously no Johannsson for the score after he passed away. Benicio is big, but part of what made that character so interesting is the way his arc was portrayed. He went from this really mysterious figure to someone who was completely cold-blooded and did shocking things. If it's all just Benicio doing shocking things, I think it would lose some of its luster.

Reactions: kihei

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Sorry to Bother You seems interesting to me. It debuted at Sundance I believe and stars Lakeith Stanfield. Im hoping it gets some traction so it plays near me.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I am super hesitant about Sicario 2. The way the first one was shot and the score is what really stood out to me. No Villeneuve coming back to direct, no Deakins for cinematography, and obviously no Johannsson for the score after he passed away. Benicio is big, but part of what made that character so interesting is the way his arc was portrayed. He went from this really mysterious figure to someone who was completely cold-blooded and did shocking things. If it's all just Benicio doing shocking things, I think it would lose some of its luster.

It looks more like an action movie as opposed to a suspense film.

Kind of like the transition between Alien and Aliens.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I always look forward to A24 releases. Hereditary and Under the Silver Lake look excellent. How to Talk to Girls at Parties looks interesting as well.

I'm very skeptical of the new Sicario...Seems like they're just cashing in with a sequel, and it will have none of the weight of the original. I hope I'm wrong, and with Sheridan writing, it could be a really good movie. I don't know anything about the new director.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
This looks pretty decent: Todos lo saben (2018) - IMDb

Tbh, I think it'll be another bad summer in terms of blockbusters. Maybe that next Marvel movie (Ant-Man I think) will be decent but mostly stuff that's mediocre at best and then a stronger finish at the end of the year like last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad