Under-the-radar Rookies/Youngsters

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It's often easy to look at boxscores and scoring lists to pick out the rookies who are performing well. Clayton Keller is utterly dynamic in his scoring and plays a huge role (2nd in TOI/G) on his team already. Jesper Bratt has been a phenom on both sides of the ice. Highly-touted prospects like Hischier, McAvoy, Boeser, Connor, Barzal and Sergachyov have all been as good as advertised. Will Butcher has a whopping 11 assists already.

But I wanted to highlight a few rookies where the points don't tell the whole story...feel free to add some names.

- The Devils' impressive youth movement may be led up front by Hischier and Bratt and Butcher may get the headlines for his assist totals but did you know that former 2nd round pick Steve Santini is second on the Devils blueline in TOI/G and actually leads the Devils in even-strength ice time? He is out on the ice in high-leverage even-strength and short-handed situations almost double the amount the Butcher sees the ice. Santini doesn't quite qualify as a rookie but this astounded me. That's not to minimize the impact Butcher has had with his pinpoint passing but he's 5th among Devils regular blueliners in ice time while Santini is putting in yeoman's work defensively and in a far less glamorous manner. Time to pause and appreciate a defensive defender's contributions?

- Adrian Kempe has been earning praise lately for his hot-streak and the former 1st rounder seems to be coming good on his promise. But while he's been opportunistic - he's still averaging only 3rd line ice-time and there's another rookie on the Kings' squad who has been the stapled to the top line for most of the season - Alex Iafallo. Iafallo is 3rd amongst Kings' forwards in TOI/G and tied for 2nd in even-strength ice time. The former NCAA standout is refined and plays an intelligent game, but there's a rub - while Kopitar and Brown are back burning up the scoring charts, their "third wheel" Iafallo has yet to score a goal. Is Iafallo another Zach Hyman...in either a good way or bad way? I don't know, but as long as Kopitar and Brown keep burning up the ice, doesn't seem like the chemistry of that line will be messed with.

- Tampa is known for producing gems that, for the casual fan, seem to come out of nowhere. Lower draft picks that they churn into stars. It's what Tampa does. Brayden Point is certainly taking that next step to stardom averaging over a point-per-game as a sophomore but let's turn our gaze to 5'-9", 25 year-old rookie Yanni Gourde. The versatile and diminutive Gourde spent time in the ECHL and AHL before being signed by Tampa. He was a standout in the AHL last season and showed well in an NHL audition - enough so that if you listened to the murmurs out of Tampa this summer, he was definitely a guy in line for a bigger role this year. All he's doing so far this season is averaging top 6 minutes (4th among all rookie forwards), playing regular roles on both the PP and PK and with 7 points and a +6 in 13 games, showing he is yet another gem off the Tampa production line.

What other rookies or sophomores are getting it done - in a way that has been completely under-the-radar in terms of a league-wide stage?

Reactions: thedustman

Seventyx7

Carter Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2004
Norcal
Iafallo has been excellent. Points don’t reflect that yet, but they will if he keeps playing this way. Tenacious, smart and skilled. Great surprise.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Vince Dunn gets better and better each game. His skating is a godsend from the left side for the Blues D and he’s starting to make really strong reads in his own zone.

Reactions: BangarangxRufio

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
- Adrian Kempe has been earning praise lately for his hot-streak and the former 1st rounder seems to be coming good on his promise. But while he's been opportunistic - he's still averaging only 3rd line ice-time and there's another rookie on the Kings' squad who has been the stapled to the top line for most of the season - Alex Iafallo. Iafallo is 3rd amongst Kings' forwards in TOI/G and tied for 2nd in even-strength ice time. The former NCAA standout is refined and plays an intelligent game, but there's a rub - while Kopitar and Brown are back burning up the scoring charts, their "third wheel" Iafallo has yet to score a goal. Is Iafallo another Zach Hyman...in either a good way or bad way? I don't know, but as long as Kopitar and Brown keep burning up the ice, doesn't seem like the chemistry of that line will be messed with.

I don't know enough about Hyman directly to say this confidently, but based on what Leafs fans say, hell no. Iafallo is a gem and we're SHOCKED he hasn't scored yet. It's only a matter of time. He's filled in nicely as the "Williams" on the Brown-Kopitar line--insanely tenacious, fast, great puck control, and now that he's gaining confidence and not just deferring to Kopitar, he's looking phenomenal. Like, if you didn't know he somehow hasn't been producing, you'd think he's our second-best forward behind Kopitar. He looks that good with and without the puck. Obviously time will tell and being a former college player he may slow down with the grind of the season, but I applaud you for bringing him up in this thread because he's been an invaluable element of our good start. No one has been able to adequately line up with Kopitar since Williams left and Iafallo has been a godsend there.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Vince Dunn gets better and better each game. His skating is a godsend from the left side for the Blues D and he’s starting to make really strong reads in his own zone.

Dunn really surprised me the other night. First, because I was like "Vince Dunn? Sounds like he should be a QB." Then, he was very good with and without the puck, and more often than not when I looked up at a good defensive play or puck movement, it was Dunn there.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
For the Bruins, Anders Bjork, Jake Debrusk and Danton Heinen have had impressive starts.

The Bruins have a host of candidates...heck we knew McAvoy was going to be a stud but a 22 minutes-per-night top pairing defender right out of the gate? Wow. I think anybody paying attention the last year saw Bjork coming so he's not a surprise IMO. Debrusk's quick development maybe more so IMO and certainly Heinen if he can keep up his current pace...although we probably need more sample size from him as a regular night in and night out.

How about the forgotten Robert Hagg amongst all the young gems Philly has in its defensive pipeline having the biggest role from the group aside from Provorov so far when the likes of Sanheim, Myers and Morin were all easily more hyped. Or - much like Santini in New Jersey - you have another rugged, defensive-minded BC alumn in rookie Ian McCoshen playing an important role on the Panthers blueline.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Ondrej Kase for the Ducks is looking really good this year (his 2nd). Five goals so far in nine games (which equals his 5 in 53 last year). That he's tied for the team lead in goals so far probably has more to do with the horrid amount of injuries that the Ducks are dealing with than his sniping skills. Still he has completely stepped up his game at a time when it's really needed.

And also considering that he was a 7th round pick....

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
After everyone called Larkin a bust last year, he transitioned to full time center and leads our team in points. Nobody is mentioning him anywhere on this board, he's been flying under the radar.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Pavel Buchnevich (22): 13GP | 5G | 5A | 10PTS | 53.05 CF% | 5.90 CF%Rel | 68.24 HDCF% | 60 GF%

Although he's apparently on literally everyone's fantasy team so I don't know if he counts. :laugh:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Ondrej Kase for the Ducks is looking really good this year (his 2nd). Five goals so far in nine games (which equals his 5 in 53 last year). That he's tied for the team lead in goals so far probably has more to do with the horrid amount of injuries that the Ducks are dealing with than his sniping skills. Still he has completely stepped up his game at a time when it's really needed.

And also considering that he was a 7th round pick....

Perfect addition to this thread IMO!

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Larkin and Buch are certainly busting out after a bit of stuttering last season. Mantha is also the real deal in Detroit also but in terms of all around impact, we may be seeing Larkin take that next step. Nearly a PPG and trails only Z in ice time amongst Wings’ forwards. Extremely impressive.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
5’9 Victor Mete in Montreal. Weber’s partner is very solid defensively at 19 and has an improving offensive game with some PP time. Also has an insane skating stride.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad